Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: *** help ***

Default *** help ***

Hey can someone help me with my netbook please? everytime i switch my netbook on, it wont load the start menu or anything on my destop, i have tried everything and nowt works the only thing it shows it my desktop picture and thats all please help urgently

Try taking the battery out and put it back in couple of mins

Does this happen in safe mode?

When you turn it on keep tapping the F8 key, in the menu choose safe mode and hit enter.

If it does you should be in your desktop. you first get a restore ooption try this and go back to the day it was working fine.

Had you installed any programs or any new hardware prior to this happening also?

Default Help

hey i just tried the battery trick and it failed, i tried earlier to restore to another time and it just restored things but stayed the same, i have even defragged it and done a disk clean up and it still the same, i've basically done everything and nowt seems to want to make my start menu appear or any items i have on my desktop either i aint installed anything lately but i am getting to my witts end with it and have also tried my mate in N.Ireland who works with these things only he doent use widows xp on windows 7 or vista so i'm stuck as to what to do now as i dont have the money to spend to take it to anyone, i can getmy laptop details if that helps anyone to give them an idea

Default *** help ***

these are my sytem details if anyone can help me:-

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1014 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 149624 MB, Free - 111135 MB;
    Motherboard: Advent , Milano , Not Applicable, Not Applicable
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

When u bought the net book your supposed to create a back up disc have u doner that? because you could put the back up disc in to fix it.
    The other thing as well xp has a system restore in its programs have u tried restoreing it to an earlyier date?