Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bees

Default Bees

Tremendous noise of bees on a sunny day at this time of year, right up in the tops of my trees. Any idea what is attracting them? We are used to them on the sycamore flowers in early summer, but I can't think of what might make them so busy/buzzy up there at this time

is it bees or wasps

Quote Originally Posted by Scunner View Post
    is it bees or wasps
    Definitely bees - I think every bee in Caithness is up there today! If you were in the tree tops the noise would be deafening

What kind of trees have you got?

You might find this leaflet from the British Beekeepers Association interesting.

I've seen swarms in trees before (Willow), you haven't got one of those have you?

With a bit of luck, the swarming season is over

Quote Originally Posted by Duncansby View Post
    What kind of trees have you got?

You might find this leaflet from the British Beekeepers Association interesting.

I've seen swarms in trees before (Willow), you haven't got one of those have you?
    Thanks for sending that - We think they are favouring the elms, most of which are wych elm.
    The other large trees, (and they are right up in the tops) are beech, ash and sycamore. We are used to seeing/hearing bees in the sycamores in early summer, but they are really busy again today - doing what?? I suppose swarming is the answer. Anyone want to come and have a listen on a sunny day just pm me.