Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Basking Sharks

Default Basking Sharks

Just received the 41st Caithness Basking Shark report from the John O'Groats Ferry, shark seen in Gills Bay and was estimated at 14feet.
    All the sightings received to date have been passed to Dr Mauvis Gore who has been leading an SOSF funded research project for the last 5 years to quantify and qualify the population dynamics and demographics of the basking shark in Scotland.

Please keep sending in the reports, location, date, time, estimated size and any photos.
    http://www.saveourseas.com/blogs/bas...1437#more-1437

Counties 13th Minke sighting reported from Whaligoe Steps Ulbster.

Colin Bird
    Caithness sea watching.

I've seen a couple in Orkney in the last few weeks. Just yesterday one was cruising close to the cliff edge just off Hoy. I have checked out the website which is jam packed with info but I failed to find a section for recording sightings. Could you send a link?

Thanks

Im seeing them every time we leave Wick Harbour at the moment. Last night there were two just off the South Head, about 10 foot long.
    I forgot to send you the video I took of the 30 footer I saw recently Colin. It will be on its way now that I remembered!

Default Shark

My two sons and three grandchildren have just been out on a trip with the Caithness Explorer, they had a fantastic time with quit a few sightings, I will try and post some photos when I upload them.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

NOT FAR FROM THE SEA AND SHORE____________

Thumbs up Basking shark

Seen Shark,of Staxigoe this morning Fri 27th Aug at about 10pm, about 20 ft long,took a few photos,i was wright up along side it was great to see it kept going round and round in circles.

Default Basking Shark

Quote Originally Posted by GLENELG View Post
    Seen Shark,of Staxigoe this morning Fri 27th Aug at about 10pm, about 20 ft long,took a few photos,i was wright up along side it was great to see it kept going round and round in circles.
    I was on dry land watching it from the rocks at Longberry, (chicken), but it sounds like the one we observed could have been the same one as it was at least 20 ft long and behaved the same. It was about 1-30 on the 27th.

This is a picture my son got with his phone from the boat and the skipper said it is one of the biggest he had seen.
    They were all delighted with the trip and feel privileged to have got such a sighting.

how did u no catch him glenelg it would have saved u catching bait.

NOT FAR FROM THE SEA AND SHORE____________

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bradcon View Post
    how did u no catch him glenelg it would have saved u catching bait.
    HA HA HA.

Here is a video I took on 15 August in Thurso bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzydDxIOfWY

wow that video was something, and that photo kevin ...it must have been a special moment ...but scary that well known fin cutting thru the water boy o boy...thanks xx
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Default Basking Shark

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjoeufb View Post
    Here is a video I took on 15 August in Thurso bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzydDxIOfWY
    That's a great video clip,bobbyjoeufb. thank you for sharing.

One day I will be in the right place, at the right time, with the right bit of kit.

I have a crackin video, but its too big to post here or to e-mail from both my accounts. It shows a 30 foot long shark following my yacht just a few meters astern, for around 3 mins or so. It actually followed me for a quarter an hour, matching my turns exactly. It was an awesome once in a lifetime experience. Its mouth was around 4 foot wide! The dorsal fin stood at least 3 foot out of the water! Huge!

Any other ideas how to post the video?