Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caterpillar id

Default Caterpillar id

We found a large green caterpillar tonight, it's the size of my pinkie finger with some small orange/pink dots with tufts of hair coming out. I have looked it up and I think it's a luna moth caterpillar but not totally sure, was hoping somebody on here could help. If it's still in the same place tomorrow will try and get some photos.
    Last edited by gunnlass; 24-Aug-10 at 21:42.

Just googled this moth it says habitat Canada and North America?, it's caterpillar looks just like the one I saw, but it can't be it, I think I am going to go and have a look just now.
    Last edited by gunnlass; 24-Aug-10 at 22:38.

Last edited by gunnlass; 24-Aug-10 at 22:37.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnlass View Post
    This is the Emperor moth caterpillar. The dots can be pink or orange. The moth is very beautiful and the caterpillar feeds on heather, or if willow or bramble are available, it is happier.
    If you feed it on, it will pupate within a tough, amphora-shaped cocoon with a one-way valve for eventual egress next spring.
    Can you say what it was eating?

Thanks for that, it is an impressive caterpillar. I 'm not sure of the name of the wild plant it was feeding on but I know it wasn't any of the ones you mentioned, if I can,t find it I'll post it on here.

I think it's meadowsweet that it's on, it's still at the same patch I found it on.

Hi gunnlass

Should be easy enough to take your caterpillar through to pupation. I reared 13 from eggs this year feeding them on sallow - but they should take willow and bramble. All have pupated.

Once pupated just keep it in a cool dry place (eg a shed) safe from beetles or rodants (try covering the container with gauze) and then in April bring it inside and it should mature into the adult moth. It may need a little careful help getting out of the pupa as it will not have weathered as much as it would in the wild.

Worth a try if you have not seen adult Emperor - it is a beautiful moth.

Pterodroma

Is this the beast gunnlass?

dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

Yes thats def it, not sure about taking it in though.