Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sutherland/Plowman

Default Sutherland/Plowman

Hi!

I don't know if anyone can help me but I have recently been searching my family tree from the Caithness area and am interested in making contact with cousins still living in the area.

My great grandparents were Thomas Sutherland and Maggie Plowman. Although I never met them, my mother tells me of the happy times she spent with them in Papigoe when she would visit them as a child from Lossiemouth. She also remembers going to school with cousins in Staxigoe.

My grandfather was George Sutherland. We know that George remarried when my grandmother, Mary, died and that he has family in the Bute area.

Mum remembers Aunties and Uncles in the Papigoe area, we think they were called Ronnie, Ali and Jean and I have also traced Andrew. Mum also recalls twin cousins, Ian and Tommy Sutherland. Mum lost contact with them all in her early years but we would both love to get back in touch if the family are interested.

I know that there are many Sutherlands and Plowmans in the Caithness area. If it helps, I have traced Thomas's parents as Andrew Sutherland and Williamina McBeath whilst Maggie's parents were George Plowman and Jean Banks.

We would really really appreciate any help possible. Mum speaks very fondly of her Sutherland family memories and has passed them on to me. I have lived all my life in North Wales and despite visiting other family members in Lossiemouth throughout my childhood I would love to make contact with those up in Wick.

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Jane

Default Sutherland McBeath family

Hello! I have quite a bit of information on ancestors of Andrew Sutherland and Williamina McBeath, and also the names of their children, so PM me if you want the details. However, Tighsonas4 is the man you want to talk to if you want more up to date info on this family. I've flagged this message up so hope you hear from him soon.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by susan.leith View Post
    Hello! I have quite a bit of information on ancestors of Andrew Sutherland and Williamina McBeath, and also the names of their children, so PM me if you want the details. However, Tighsonas4 is the man you want to talk to if you want more up to date info on this family. I've flagged this message up so hope you hear from him soon.
    susan has given the go ahead to get in touch with me
    just as a bye is the lossiemouth relations thomsons ??? tony

Hi Susan and Tony,

Thank you both so much for your replies. I will forward you both emails.

Jane

Default Mcbeath

Hello all

I am connected to these Mcbeaths thru my maternal side - my mother Josephine, then Joseph, Henry, Henry and John: Williamina is a 1st cousin 3 times removed.

Cheers, Ange

Hi Ange,

I am just learning about this side of my family. It is fascinating to see how so many of us are connected. I assume your John was married to Janet Donn. If so, they would be my great, great, great, great grandparents!

Jane

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Hello all

I am connected to these Mcbeaths thru my maternal side - my mother Josephine, then Joseph, Henry, Henry and John: Williamina is a 1st cousin 3 times removed.

Cheers, Ange
    sorry for the delay in replying ange.but have nothing on that side of the family my granny was williamina born in bruan she died in 1930 aged 70 and was buried in clyth cemetry.remember an uncle speaking of an aunt ann but thats vague ange
    do you think they were from that part of the county???
    if you take up a site ODD QUINES BITS AND PIECES go for gravestones and scroll right down to the bottom to clythit gives a choice of names to choose from as it has a search engineits a far shot but might be worth a try. sorry im not versed in this sort of thingange only get there with the help of friends best of luck though ange regards tony

Exclamation ps

if you persist with the nane mcbeath ange
    then go fordifferent first names theres quite a bit on it tony

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Tighsonas4 View Post
    if you persist with the nane mcbeath ange
    then go fordifferent first names theres quite a bit on it tony
    that should have read odd quines odds and ends as it may differ regards tony

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Tighsonas4 View Post
    that should have read odd quines odds and ends as it may differ regards tony
    also make sure the name is spelt mc beath t

what year was your grandfather born?

Hi Jane

See my email of 20 Oct regarding PLOWMAN.

I have George PLOWMAN who married Jean/Jane BANKS as the son of Alexander PLOWMAN (=Helen PRYDE), son of Donald PLOWMAN and Mary MOWATT with the latter couple living at Bilbster in Wick parish. I haven't sourced it but I think the data came from an unsourced database at Ancestry.com public family trees, so I don't know how good the data is.

In my email of 20 Oct I wanted to know if Donald PLOWMAN in Bilbster who married Mary MOWATT in 1798 and lived at Bilbster was the same person as Donald PLOWMAN in Bilbster who married Mary FINLAYSON in 1826 and lived at Bilbster. The latter Mary was a lot younger than Donald. For some time I suspected they were the same person but then I realised that the eldest child to both marriages was named Elizabeth with both marrying and being contemporaries of each other.

The second Elizabeth married John WAUGH with the civil marriage register specifically stating that they were second cousins. That works nicely through a CALDER connection if Donald was the son of Magnus PLOWMAN & Margaret CALDER the daughter of Alexander CALDER & Margaret CLACHER, because John WAUGH was the son of Margaret CORMACK (=Adam WAUGH), son of Isobel CALDER (=Alexander CORMACK), son of Alexander CALDER & Margaret CLACHER. Trouble is I can't find a baptism for such a Donald to Magnis PLOWMAN & Margaret CALDER.

Of course the second cousin-ship might work through a different family branch than CALDER but I'm betting that Elizabeth the second's father Donald PLOWMAN who married Mary FINLAYSON in 1826 was indeed the son of Magnus PLOWMAN & Margaret CALDER. If Donald who married Mary FINLAYSON is the same person as Donald who married Mary MOWATT then that might make Magnus PLOWMAN & Margaret CALDER your ancestors also, which would make us related because I descend from Margaret's sister Isobel CALDER who married Alexander CORMACK. But the existence of two Elizabeth PLOWMAN as sisters is a problem for that theory.

Isobel CALDER and Alexander CORMACK had a daughter Barbara CORMACK 1786-1868 who married John SINCLAIR 1780-1857 and their son David SINCLAIR 1812-1891 married Catharine SINCLAIR in 1846 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia in 1851 on the ship SEA. In Victoria David's son Peter SINCLAIR married Annie MCDONALD ( from Lairg in Sutherland) in 1876 and they went to New Zealand soon after, my greatgrandparents, which is why I am a Kiwi.

Wick OPR 1798
    "Novr 23d
    PLOWMAN. Don.d in Bilbster & Mary MOWAT also in Bilbster were matrimonially contd Cautrs Donald CORNER in Hopeville & Dond MOWAT in Bilbster."

Wick OPR 1826
    "Dec 9
    PLOWMAN. Donald in Bilbster was Mat.y Cont: to Mary FINLAYSON there. John COGHILL Shoemr in Wick Caut for the man and Donald BRUCE in Bilbster for the woman. Md on Decr 9."

Peter
    Christchurch, New Zealand