Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Roderick and George Maclean Dunbeath

Default Roderick and George Maclean Dunbeath

I am looking for more information on Roderick Maclean, born at Balnabruich, Dunbeath in April 1858. His parents were James and Janet and he had a brother called George, who became treasurer of the Dunbeath Sports Committee. Roderick married twice and lived in Glasgow, working in the Collectors Department in the City Chambers. If anyone can shed any more light on Roderick or George, who I assume stayed in Caithness and who I know married, please let me know.

In the 1881 census for Latheron there is the following family at Achorn.
    James MacLean, Contractor & Crofter Aged 56 his wife Janet, Aged 49 their children George Aged 21, James Alexander Aged 16, Isabella Catherine Aged 13 and Kenneth William Aged 12.

Thank you ever so much Skifter.

I have now found in the 1881 census at 4 Poplar Lane,South Leith, Edinburgh a Roderick MacLean Age 42(Born in Dunbeath) Labourer in Gasworks his wife Betsy Age 41 (Born in Dunbeath) Children Roderick Age 18 (Born Tynehead, Edinburgh) Ham Curer, Alexander Age 17 (Born Leith) Shop Porter, Jennat (that is how it has been transcribed) Age 14 (Born Leith) Flax Mill Worker, Kennet Age 7 (Born Leith) & Elisabeth S. Age 2 (Born Leith)

I have found another Roderick Maclean (Unmarried) Age 23 (Born Latheron Parish) who is an Asylum Attendant at the Glasgow Royal Asylum, Gartnavel

Quote Originally Posted by Skifter View Post
    I have found another Roderick Maclean (Unmarried) Age 23 (Born Latheron Parish) who is an Asylum Attendant at the Glasgow Royal Asylum, Gartnavel
    That is Roderick! Two years later he married Susanna Brown in Glasgow. That is just fantastic. Thank you.