Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Grey geese overhead

Default Grey geese overhead

When do they return?
    Spotted a few along with some pink foots down by Calder a week or so back and today two came over the house from the direction of the sea and headed south.

I heard a gaggle of geese, or was it a skein, one night earlier in the week, and on the way to Inverness today saw some in a field just south of the Mound. I thought it was a bit early for them to return. A little research on the RSPB site suggests Greylag and Pinkfooted usually return around September but some Greylag are resident around Forsinard all year.
    Maybe they are back early as the weather in their summer residence is as shocking as here?!?

We have resident Greylag geese here in the north, they breed on the likes of Loch Loyal. Greylag Geese turn up in the Dounreay area every year within the first two weeks of August. I have been seeing them in that area for a fortnight now.

The migrants Greylags should not arrive until late September/October and if I remeber correct (I could be wrong) are normally the last of the migrant geese species to arrive.
    Away with the birds

Thanks kas, counted 25 Greylags as I passed Dounreay today so am asuming they are a group of those that breed here, have noticed a few about during the last few months between Melvich and Forsinard also the ones I mentioned down by Calder but the later group seem to have only just appeared as have not had a sighting in that area since late Spring.