Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Plants for pot

Question Plants for pot

Hi

Can anyone recommend hardy perennials for pots?

They must be low growing as it is very windy in our garden.

Thanks!

unicorn Guest

Viola's and pansy's are good mine always come back as they reseed themselves great plants!!

Thanks Unicorn.

I love pansies but unfortunately when I put them in the pots they got blasted by the wind poor things!

Default plants for pots

An ivy looks good in wide shallow pot. It will trail of the side, stay green all year and other plants ie busy lizzie, hanging lobelia for summer. Add tete a tete daffs for the winter, and maybe short stemmed tulips. Crocus planted with the daffs add interest and provide a longer display. Some of the tall pots I find to be top heavy and topple especially if they need watering. Just a suggestion.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by janette
    An ivy looks good in wide shallow pot. It will trail of the side, stay green all year and other plants ie busy lizzie, hanging lobelia for summer. Add tete a tete daffs for the winter, and maybe short stemmed tulips. Crocus planted with the daffs add interest and provide a longer display. Some of the tall pots I find to be top heavy and topple especially if they need watering. Just a suggestion.
    I was thinking about a trailing plant and an ivy sounds nice.

Thanks a lot for the other ideas as well. Much appreciated!

Cordyline australis/purperia works well, although it can grow quite tall it can take quite a blast of wind withouth too much harm
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Default plants for pots

another idea is to make a mini alpine garden, in the same shape of a pot. It looks better in a terracotta pot.

How about a hosta

Thumbs up

Great ideas!!!

Thanks!