Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Peregrine Falcons in Thurso?

Default Peregrine Falcons in Thurso?

Hi all,

First post here and I'm hoping someone with more birdwatching experience can help out.

I've been watching what I think is a bird of prey for the past few days. It's perching on the steeple of the old church next to the Bank of Scotland in Thurso, best times to spot it seem to be around 6am or 7pm-ish.

It's silhouette fits that of a kestrel or peregrine (can't think what else it could be) but I didn't think kestrels were 'townies', so a peregrine was the next obvious choice.

Through binoculars (not very good ones) it appears to have grayish plumage on it's back with a lighter breast and dark head. Again, like a peregrine.

Possibly I've got this completely wrong as I'm not the world's greatest spotter.

Can any wiser heads lend their thoughts?

I am sure you are right and it will be the Peregrine. I have seen them there in previous years.
    I saw two above the town a fortnight ago.
    Away with the birds

Smile

The resident peregrine pair successfully raised two chicks this year. I have often seen two of them (not sure if they were adults or young ones or one of each) around the Scrabster Braes, so they may have taken a trip to the church to take advantage of an easy meal of pigeon!

Quote Originally Posted by sdgf View Post
    Hi all,

First post here and I'm hoping someone with more birdwatching experience can help out.

I've been watching what I think is a bird of prey for the past few days. It's perching on the steeple of the old church next to the Bank of Scotland in Thurso, best times to spot it seem to be around 6am or 7pm-ish.

It's silhouette fits that of a kestrel or peregrine (can't think what else it could be) but I didn't think kestrels were 'townies', so a peregrine was the next obvious choice.

Through binoculars (not very good ones) it appears to have grayish plumage on it's back with a lighter breast and dark head. Again, like a peregrine.

Possibly I've got this completely wrong as I'm not the world's greatest spotter.

Can any wiser heads lend their thoughts?
    There were breeding pairs of Kestrels nesting in the big tower of HMP Manchester (Strangeways) for many years that used to keep the resident pigeons on their guard (so to speak). I know what you mean though in terms of thinking in terms of not being "townies".

I'll be sure to try and spot them as I don't think I've seen a Peregrine (but my ID is rubbish).

All the best
    HR

Default Peregrine Falcon.

The Peregrine is a beautiful bird and a joy to watch.

We had a regular nesting pair not far from where we used to live in Shropshire, to see it climb high into the sky and then rocket to earth and take a pigeon in mid flight is a sight to behold, (unless of course you are a pigeon fancier)

I have a bit of fun with the pigeons that visit my garden, I click on the Peregrine link to the RSPB website and then click on the listen play button which gives a shrill blast of what the bird sounds like.

My computer is upstairs next to the window and the pigeons soon get into scarper mode.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Seen this morning........

Guess they'd already had breakfast..

Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

Well done grumpyhippo nice pics...

Default Falcons

Heard a pair yesterday afternoon watched them for a wee while right above the house, On Thursday a Sparrowhawk swooped into the next doors garden tallons out she missed the target, Magic to see so close to home.