Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Great yellow bumblebees

Default Great yellow bumblebees

We have sown a small area with a special mix to encourage the rare Great Yellow Bumblebee in conjunction with the Caithness Biodiversity Group and the Bumblebee Conservation Trust. We also have a much larger plot which is in a conservation scheme and is a mass of red clover at the moment and guess what? Yes - Great Yellow Bumblebees are apparently in abundance. I'm so excited, but have yet to see one myself. Hoping to this week if the sun stays out.

Anyone else getting Great Yellows on their patch?

Talking

Welcome to Bee Mania.
    Have been spotting for The Conservation Trust and so far have seen them in several places.
    Had to go to Orkney to get my first one, but since then have had them in the garden,three last week on the area we survey near Reay , three at Sandside and one by the north end of Calder last weeek.
    Seem to be enormous numbers of Common Carders,Garden Bumble Bees and notched up a couple of Cuckoo Bees too.
    Am getting quite a buzz!

Its great isn't it? Never had so many people visiting and phoning about wildlife before. Today two students from Stirling Uni are supposed to be visiting the plot to catch some Great Yellows to take DNA samples.

Our spotter apparently counted 15 Great Yellows on our plot last time he was here - fantastic.

As for other bumblebees we have a mass of them on the two buddlea bushes in the garden, not sure what they are yet, must get more tuned in to the different varieties.

A friend has also found a nest of bumblebees in her compost bin, so she is leaving them in peace.

You're right - its all gone bee mad!