Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: puppy help please

I have the same problem with my dog I can take him for a 2 hour walk and he only pees but will only poo in the gardan - thinks it territory. Even after a long walk I still put him out back for half an hour to let him cool off and do his business and he is three now. Some dogs are weird

Deanne
    New website for the Arts http://www.highlandartshub.freeforums.org Its Free and Its full of the latest arts news in Caithness and Highlands

Default puppy

Ill try that thanks, i was really miffed I definately think children are easier D lol - anyway - no suprises this morning which was fab fab fab she does seems to be pretty random at the accidents!!!! Im sure we will get there and again brill advice from you all thank you

The problem with pups is you put them out and they forget to go. They are having that much fun being walked or running round the garden they don't remember they need a poo until you put them back in. I make sure they have a play and then when they have calmed down a bit, then I tell them to go and then I say 'go again' for a number two
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

Default puppy

Thanks leanne - ill try that. What you said makes alot of sense she kind of just looks at me as if to say "yes im out here and!!!!" lol - we are both as daft as one another i think

Hows it going with the toilet training?
    Has he got more of an idea yet?
    Less puddles more cuddles
    Going demented at potty training...we are ok as long as there is nothing on the bum, but, as soon as you put pants or anything on they are filled or peed through!
    Willing to swap..puppies are quicker!

You'll have to put them out to the garden to do their toilet Dadie!

Its Iona.
    She wants to be a big girl like Lauren and have big girl pants but she hasnt grasped the fact that if you have big girl pants on you need to say you need the loo and/or to use the potty..as long as the bum is bare there are hardly any accidents!

Ps we managed to train Poppy dog in 3 weeks to go outside only!
    She was 3 when we got her and was only used to being in a kennel and not housetrained at all...Benny our old spaniel trained her to ask out.
    And she would copy him, but even now she is more comfortable going in our garden than out for a walk.
    Come home from a trip/walk and let her out for a poop!

I dont think im doing very well - she seems to have accidents randomly im still getting up at night and taking her out regularly, taking the food away by 7ish, shes getting lots and lots of praise but im pretty patient and will give it another few days then maybe try her in a cage. thank you for asking

I managed to potty train all my children alot easier than the puppy lol maybe ive lost the knack - good luck with your little un - i think it all "clicks" when they are ready whether is children or puppies lol

The only other thing I can suggest is a long walk at night time to tire the pup out.
    Hopefully a few pees and a poop while out.
    Then out before bed just for a pee and poop.
    And out for a pee and poop about 10 mins after eack meal.

thank you again D - im doing what has been suggested - she is a really really lazy puppy and also she doesnt like being on the lead at all - I think ill just be persistent She seems to be the sort of dog that just wants to have a bit of a play and cuddle the other 90 percent of the time lol

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Cagney we all said that crates are great if used properly and that does not mean as a prison.

They can provide a nice cosy den/sanctuary which the puppy/dog can enjoy. Benjy just loves his!
    I'm sorry if I caused you any offence but I did say it was my personnal opinion and that I had known of a dog imprisoned in one. I have seen them uaed resposibly in vehicle for instance. Still do not like them personnally.
    Thankyou for you welcome! (I think!).

Oh Cagney no offence taken and my welcome was genuine.

Of course you are entitled to your personal opinion and I can totally understand you not liking crates if you knew of a dog who was imprisoned in one.

I just wanted to make it clear that they are great if used in the manner they were designed for.

Thumbs up puppy

we have a puppy 13 weeks he is good at night we feed him about nine then put him out about ten thirty he is in a cage we some teddys out of homeade i let him out at six thirty in the morning give him a treat when he does nothing at night and stroke him saying good boy if he does anything just put him out and then put him back in his cage that worked for us

our are now 9 weeks and doing well. They have their tea at 6 and we take up the drinking bowl at about 10 pm so they are 'empty' at bed time. There is only ever an accident if they have a sneaky drink out of a puddle at last wee time before bed. Doing it this way they let us lie in until half 8

If you feed late and allow them unrestricted access to water then you set them up to fail. Timing their food/water intake with a set time before bed means they never go to bed with a full bladder or a need to poo and they can have lots of praise for no mess.
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

Default puppy problems - crate please

Hi - im still having problems with my puppy and really dont know what do - i walk her, praise her, everything you all said - i think i need a crate - can anyone help and loan me one please (eeek totally not me!!) - I put her in a dog run outside and she doesnt pooh in it !!- How rubbish am I - I love her to bits just dont get the "pooh n pee" in the house bit she never does "it" in front of me and has taken to doing it upstairs now ???? Im upset and desperate - please help if you can thank you

Exclamation

OK, it's time to get serious! Do what a mother dog would do. Take her by the scruff of her neck, give her a shake, put her nose to the poop and toss her outside. Leave her there for as long as you can stand the whining, then let her back in. No cuddles, just let her back in and carry on as if nothing has happened. A few treatments like this should get the message across.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

And restrict her access round the house again.
    Back to the kitchen only...
    Then when clean only add the living room.
    Then upstairs last...use a stairgate if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    OK, it's time to get serious! Do what a mother dog would do. Take her by the scruff of her neck, give her a shake, put her nose to the poop and toss her outside. Leave her there for as long as you can stand the whining, then let her back in. No cuddles, just let her back in and carry on as if nothing has happened. A few treatments like this should get the message across.
    The only message that will get across by doing that is that you are someone to fear. A fearful dog is not a happy dog.

Positive training is the only way to go if you was a happy and confident dog. You will have to go back to basics. After every meal, and every 2 hours, take her out, wait until she does something, and reward. Don't punish when something is done in the house, simply clean it up and ignore. Any attention you give is rewarding. What breed is the puppy and how old? Have you ever punished her for it? Hiding when she does it sounds like you may have scared her.

My adult dog who had spent two years living out in a shed and never been out to the toilet, going where she wanted was housetrained in 2 days as soon as she arrived here. It's very simple, and no need for a crate really. If you do decide to go for a crate, you want it to be big enough for her to stand up and turn around in. Too big and she will be able to avoid any messes she does.
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!

Don't want to depress you kjandcrew, but my 'thickest' dog was nearly 8 months before she was totally reliable
    I guess different dogs 'get it' at different rates. Is your little 'un a nervous/clingy type of girl? The reason I'm asking is that you'll often find that a nervous dog won't 'go' somewhere that they think isn't 'safe' IYSWIM - if she doesn't feel totally happy in the garden/outside yet (noticed the bit about not taking to the lead walking) she might be preferring to 'go' somewhere she thinks is safer, in your house!
    Constant vigilance is the way that works for me (I was not so on the ball back in the day I had my 'thick' dog, no longer with us) - not so easy I know when you have other things going on and can't keep a close enough eye to avoid accidents.
    Are you finding that she 'sneaks off' to do it in the house while you are there, or does she go indoors while she is on her own? Is she a small breed (little bladder)? Can you tell when she is about to go (sniffing/circling etc)? Can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned already. I'm sure she will get there eventually, and I hope your carpets (and nerves) can survive the experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Please don't do this kjandcrew!!!! There are much kinder ways of toilet training and, as Sarah said, this will just make your dog fearful.

Toilet training is really a matter of patience and perservernce and you will get there I promise! Although at times it seems like you won't.

In addition to the great advice from Sarah you might find that a DAP diffuser could help as this is shown to help with toileting problems.

An indoor crate to avoid nightime 'mistakes' is a good idea and can also provide a 'refuge' for dogs, especially if they are a bit timid.
    I know there are those who don't like them but, used properly, they are great. My dog Benjy loves his and will run into it himself. Especially if you put nice cosy bedding in it.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast