Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bugged but by what? Id please

Default Bugged but by what? Id please

About 2" /5 cms long , some sort of wasp?

Damselle flies?

Hi LIZZ,

I'm just guessing at your first picture, but I think it's a Horn-Tail Wood Wasp.

Definetely not indigenious to Scotland; though rarely found in the South Of England. They are actually best known to come over from the Continent via lorries bearing goods such as fruit etc.

Totally unharmful though to humans, as far as I'm led to believe! Quite bonny critters; well, in their own way !
    Last edited by cherokee; 14-Aug-10 at 19:31.
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

If it's not idigenous what has it been doing lurking in the garden all day?
    I found one in my insect book that looks similar but again is not native to the area.

Smile wasp

it looks like a norwagian pine wasp,,we saw afew down at dunrobin castle yesterday,,

We found one of these wasp like creatures yesterday, came on here to post and found this post with one already They are huge compared to a normal wasp.

Quote Originally Posted by chaz View Post
    We found one of these wasp like creatures yesterday, came on here to post and found this post with one already They are huge compared to a normal wasp.
    We found several of these when cutting some conifers down. They look quite fearsome, but are harmless

First one looks like a female giant wood wasp.