Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Basking Sharks.

Default Basking Sharks.

The sea is grey and looking quite calm this morning, ideal for taking a look to see what is swimming about off your piece of coastline.
    This morning i have already received 2 reports of Basking Sharks and one of Harbour Porpoise.
    Basking Shark and Porpoise reported just South of Keiss and a Basking Shark reported near John O'Groats Harbour by the JOG Ferry.
    There is a very big increase in Basking Shark numbers compared with 2009.
    They have been seen all the way round the coast from Thurso to furthest one reported South on the the East coast at Latheronwheel.
    Get the binoculars and camera and see what you can find off your coast

Colin

I personally have not seen anything today.(but only in my lunch hour from work: I keep looking).

But a couple of my colleagues at work (who live overlooking Scrabster), appear to seen Basking Shark(s) over the past couple of weeks.

The only Basking Shark I have ever seen (so far) was at Reiss Beach a few years ago, and I was really fortunate to have had my camcorder with me at the time, although it was a way off.

Is there any optimum time of the day/weather conditions, other than a calmish sea, when it is best to observe the marine life around our coast?

There is a basking shark in Thurso Bay just now and some dolphins.

There was a Basking Shark off Noss Head this morning around 11.a.m

Quote Originally Posted by ragdollyanna View Post
    Thanks but: alas the story of my life. We got down there ASAP but whatever was there, wasn't when we did. (if that makes sense).

All the best.
    HR

We got to Thurso just after 1, to try to see them but nothing. Travelled along to Gill via Dunnet Head. Did not see anything. Must of gone West

we spotted a basking shark off the trinkie at about 2.30pm today. My hubby goes out alot (about 3-4 x weekly) past Wick castle and usually sees something

Yes the basking shark disappeared soon after I saw it this morn - or at least it got a bit choppier and I couldn't see it anymore. However, I spotted more dolphins at the back of one, got all excited thinking I'd see them closer on the way to the beach party but alas reckon they'd all been scared away by all the activity at the beach party, jet skiers and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by ragdollyanna View Post

Yes I was watching it too. Thuink your dolphins were Harbour Porpoise. There are about 20 hanging around in the bay just now, but you need it to be pretty calm to see them. There was also a MInke Whale in the bay last night.
    Away with the birds

If I had a view over Thurso Bay I would get rid of my telly.

Isaw a minke whale off the trinkie at 09.30 this morning and a basking shark feeding there this afternoon at 4 o"clock.

Default Sightings.

Quite a few interesting reports there. I would appreciate it if you can fill out a simple form on my web site so i can add them to the Caithness County sighting list.

www.caithness-sea-watching.co.uk

Colin
    Caithness Sea watching.

Default Basking Shark

At about 12 noon today I went a walk with the children up to the lighthouse at Scrabster and we noticed something in the water, after watching for a short while we realized it was a shark ...we were amazed , the sea was calm and it was lovely and sunny. If only I had my camera.