Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gearbox probs

Quote Originally Posted by bridgeend View Post
    I have a friend who has used this Garage never again poor service and we have been told he is NOT a time served engineer.
    Poor service and a dreadful Attitude if you question anything plenty of other Garages in Caithness locally owned with friendly staff willing to listen and SMTA registered.
    Just because someone has done a 4 year apprenticeship got a few bits of paper it might make them time served mechanic but it doesnt make them a good mechanic and even if they do have all there papers say 5 to 10 year down the line technolgy changes so much by then there bits of paper are meaningless and if they went and resit there test again they would probably fail because all the technolgy has changed they would have to be retrained again to pass.
    What makes a good a mechanic its not the papers its there working attitude towards there work and willingness to learn.I have said this before ive met quite a few mechanics that are not time served and there better than time served mechanics because of there attitude toward things and then you meet people that have all there papers time served good at the theory side but hands on ther useless
    Last edited by EDDIE; 18-Aug-10 at 17:09.

2. Default

I'm sure there are some very good time served mechanics as well,you make sound like its a waste of time to serve an apprenticeship.
    What makes a good mechanic or any tradesman for that matter is experience,coupled with theory.No use being good with your hands if your not quite sure what your supposed to be doing in the first place.No point being a brainbox either when you dont know the difference between whitworth,unc and metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    I'm sure there are some very good time served mechanics as well,you make sound like its a waste of time to serve an apprenticeship.
    What makes a good mechanic or any tradesman for that matter is experience,coupled with theory.No use being good with your hands if your not quite sure what your supposed to be doing in the first place.No point being a brainbox either when you dont know the difference between whitworth,unc and metric.
    Whitworth? Blimey how old are you? The Ark was bolted together with Whitworth!

One of the downsides of having a trade as a mechanic the technolgy and the way things works changes all the time and when you look at the variety of makes and different types of equipment there is such a variety it is hard to keep on top of all the theory side of things it evolve so quickly and the old kit disappears wants it worn out compared to if you were a joiner or bricky there is not much changes in technolgy there and thats were experience does help
    Whitworth thats going back a bit didnt think you see that anymore if i remember right a 5/16 whitworth was about the same size as 9/16unf

Mystical Potato Head the point im trying to make yeh u do get good time served mechanics but u also get good mechancs that havent had the opportunity to go through an apprentiship and have self taught themselves or worked there way up from semi skilled
    Last edited by EDDIE; 18-Aug-10 at 20:29.

I've got a rotten land rover chassis and a bucket of rotten nuts n' bolts yer can 'av if that'll help fix yer gearbox!

More relevant than a debate over the ethics and etiquette on answering or not answering a mowbyfone to a withheld number.
    (normally the man from the revenue calls from a withheld no' Hmmmm)

Ain't yer 'sposed to have yer fones off in the hospital?

Anyway, poor candy cannea get out of fourth, has anyone seen candy's 5th gear?

Interesting to see if the OP can actually get any help out of this whilst yer ramblin' on about Whitworth's.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I've got a rotten land rover chassis and a bucket of rotten nuts n' bolts yer can 'av if that'll help fix yer gearbox!

More relevant than a debate over the ethics and etiquette on answering or not answering a mowbyfone to a withheld number.
    (normally the man from the revenue calls from a withheld no' Hmmmm)

Ain't yer 'sposed to have yer fones off in the hospital?

Anyway, poor candy cannea get out of fourth, has anyone seen candy's 5th gear?

Interesting to see if the OP can actually get any help out of this whilst yer ramblin' on about Whitworth's.

Have you no a Fairy overdrive...or a Pixie diff lock or a Tinkerbell transmission brake?

It's a trick question,it has no 5th gear :P

Quote Originally Posted by MsF View Post
    If you have a problem with this reply you can come to the garage and say so to my face thats the way i work
    Quote Originally Posted by MsF View Post
    Still waiting for the minority of people who are complaining about Viking Motors to come up to the garage and say so to my face, not had any takers yet
    Out of interest, (and as an ex-cop), would you mind explaining quite what you mean by these "invitations"? And I don't particularly care "how you work".

Cheers

Ian.
    robertianrae.co.uk
    hutchthedog.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by RIR View Post
    Out of interest, (and as an ex-cop), would you mind explaining quite what you mean by these "invitations"? And I don't particularly care "how you work".

Cheers

Ian.
    Inviting people to say these things to him in person,rather than post on here?

Quote Originally Posted by upolian View Post
    Inviting people to say these things to him in person,rather than post on here?

Telephone is no good then?

Cheers

Ian.
    robertianrae.co.uk
    hutchthedog.co.uk

Telephone is no good then?

Cheers

Ian.
    Just a suggestion,im sure he will answer himself

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Have you no a Fairy overdrive...or a Pixie diff lock or a Tinkerbell transmission brake?
    Fairy, Pixie and Tinkerbell! Are these your special 'friends' you meet at the weekend?

Cheers

Ian.
    It is quite simply an invitation for people to come up and voice there questions or concerns face to face as the written word on here or speaking on the telephone does not convey the body language we all use and read in everyday life.
    Quite what being an ex cop has to do with it i am not sure, unless as per usual, the written word has been taken out of context.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Well I can only give my thanks for a job well done to Michael at Viking Motors. New brake discs and pads at a damn reasonable cost, and done within a timeframe which suited me perfectly. Wish them all the best.

Smile

Cheers

Not a problem! I'm glad you did a proper job on the lexus rather than rush because i was there!
    this is why when i get my car going ill be doing all the work myself,garages take the real micky up here
    Change of tune

I shmell a troll.
    Renovating and Plumbing work
    Good rates
    07921 193353

Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress View Post
    It is quite simply an invitation for people to come up and voice there questions or concerns face to face as the written word on here or speaking on the telephone does not convey the body language we all use and read in everyday life.
    Quite what being an ex cop has to do with it i am not sure, unless as per usual, the written word has been taken out of context.

Hi Paula

It just came across as an implied threat, but, as you say, messages posted on forums can be taken out of context, as appears to be the case here.

Thankyou for clarifying; no offence intended. I wish the business well.

Cheers

Ian.
    robertianrae.co.uk
    hutchthedog.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mall67 View Post
    Change of tune
    I wasn't up there getting a car sorted

I was waiting to valet the car he was working on

Oh and i posted 'garages take the micky'months ago! micheal is genuine!
    Last edited by upolian; 20-Aug-10 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlennie View Post
    I shmell a troll.
    Do tell...?

Mall67 posting pointless posts of a trolling nature
    Renovating and Plumbing work
    Good rates
    07921 193353

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast