Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Garden Tiger Moth

Default Garden Tiger Moth

My husband found this little beauty while mowing the lawn. I've been able to identify it but can someone tell me how common they are in Caithness please? I don't recall seeing one before.
    Last edited by Mrs Sweetie; 22-Dec-10 at 16:27.
    ~*~ Gill ~*~
    Meiklejohns Confectioners, Thurso Street, Wick
    Open every day 8 am - 10.30 pm

Hi Mrs Sweetie

Garden Tiger is a common moth in Caithness - the adult usually appearing late June/early July and continuing to the first two weeks of August. My maximum catch in any one night this year was 42, but usually catches are much smaller. It can be found in a wide variety of habitats.

Once common throughout the UK it has become very scarce (and in some places rare) in southern and midland England.

Interestingly, no two Garden Tigers have exactly the same pattern on the wings and there is a wide variation.

Pterodroma

42 in one night!! Wow! We're obviously not very observant then if we've not noticed them before, particularly with such bright colours.

Thanks very much for that information; most interesting.
    ~*~ Gill ~*~
    Meiklejohns Confectioners, Thurso Street, Wick
    Open every day 8 am - 10.30 pm