Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haddock in Wick Chip Shops?

Quote Originally Posted by samf1971 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies but fish battered with the skin on my god!
    All the chippies in Caithness used to cook the haddock with the skin on and in my opinion it is the best way for them to cook haddock. The fish seems to taste better and is definately much juicier. Removing the skin before cooking leads to the fish being much drier and is almost like eating cotton wool. Another thing that has spoilt the haddock supper in recent times is the way most of the fish is filleted whereby about a quarter of the fillet is missing.
    I am delighted to hear that the Henrietta chip shop still fillets and cooks the haddock in the traditional way and I for one will be going there for my fish and chips from now on.

Why not gamble the price of a fish supper and try each shops's product?

habour chippy, henriettas and castletown chippy all get their supply of fish from the same place, all the same fish, just habour is skin off and henrietta's is skin on, its just the way it is cooked that changes the taste personally i dont eat fish but ive been told henriettas is the nicest on the wick side

xx
    ღ ღ ღ ღ kazzii ღ ღ ღ ღ I'm a devil in disguise

Popped down to the Harbour chippy tonight...verdict...expensive but different...3 portions of chip one large 2 small and fish and chips came to £10.20 which i thought was quite dear,,I wil give him due the man cooked them from fresh but the batter on the fish wasnt to our liking i guess its an aquired taste. The fish for the amount you got was a pretty poor portion(spoilt in West Yorkshire!) and the batter my husband tells me was a bit thin and tasted of the sea!
    Also strange that the salt and vinegar was put on by the owner and not by yourself.
    Mark wise we all said 4/10
    Last edited by samf1971; 10-Aug-10 at 20:43.

The Castletown chippy will do the scraps on request & they do portions in small, medium or large. Most places up here put the salt & vinegar on it for you but if you requested i'm sure they would let you do it yourself.
    I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals - Winston Churchill

Thanks on that i guess its like everywhere you go food tastes different.

Default chippie

Have stayed all over the highlands from shetland ,stornoway invernss dornoch wick thurso, sopryy but their is no such thing as a good chippie in the highlands.The closest you will get to one here is probably perth.Sorry to say but its true they dont know how to cook fish and their chips are either sodden in fat or burnt offerings the chippies here are a disgrace.

Default Chippies

Have to agree, still trying to find a good fish supper in Caithness.

Stop off in Helmsdale for a proper fish supper at La Mirage, magic!

you will not get scraps here they dump them all! what apity as we used to get them all the time down south.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12