Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haddock in Wick Chip Shops?

Default Haddock in Wick Chip Shops?

Hi looking to try some fish and chips in the town as we have recently moved here. Ive just looked through most of the threads but can i ask this question.
    I only like Haddock but it must be fresh (or are they all frozen) and which chippie is the best for batter i like fairly light batter not thick stodgy stuff ...and do they serve scraps ! (Yorkshire thing the bits of the batter that acculate in the fryer)
    Last edited by samf1971; 08-Aug-10 at 15:58.

I was also going to ask does any one of them open Sundays ?

I think the best place for Haddock is the chip shop down at Wick Harbour.....Not sure of the opening hours, but think it is around 4 30pm...Fish is fresh.

What do you pay for cod and chips we pay £1.60 chips £3.60 for cod You can get a bag of tatties for £3.50

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Talking chippys

walter macphees chippy in henrietta street in wick has fresh haddock, the harbour chippy is also okay however i like walters better (personal taste)
    houstens dont sell haddock they sell pollock and thats just (fish) oops spelt that wrong should have been a p, the other chippy i dont know about to much the rest o the take aways have frozen fish,

opening times are in the business section
    if it wasnt for pubs it would be tescos for us all

Quote Originally Posted by samf1971 View Post
    ...and do they serve scraps ! (Yorkshire thing the bits of the batter that acculate in the fryer)
    If its a Yorkshire thing, whats the likelihood of it happening outside Yorkshire?

your best bet is either henrietta's or harbour chippy in wick, they both get a regular supply of fresh haddock

being from yorkshire origonally i like scraps too.. not seen anywere up here that do them but on request they might be able to give yah some.. the people up here are nice like that xx
    ღ ღ ღ ღ kazzii ღ ღ ღ ღ I'm a devil in disguise

the bits of batter aren't just a Yorkshire thing, just that they're called Scraps in yorkshire, sometimes called bits I think elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    If its a Yorkshire thing, whats the likelihood of it happening outside Yorkshire?

the bits of batter aren't just a Yorkshire thing, just that they're called Scraps in yorkshire, sometimes called bits I think elsewhere

Never heed them just being annoying.

I like henriettas as well but only thing is that they leave the skin on the fish and im not a huge fan of that at all.
    What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.....

Default Scrumps

we used to call them scrumps in South Wales.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

when we were younger we always went to the henrietta for chips when staying at our grannies and would always ask for a bag of toe nails when ordering chips, thats what we used to call the batter bits. up to a couple of years ago houstons fish was excellent then they started using that fish that is frozen in bulk at sea and you never knew what you were getting, i had a bit of coalie one night, i knew because of the darker marks on the flesh where the skin had been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Also called Scraps in Lancashire and on my travels have heard them called fish bits.......stick the the wind saga orkneycadian as you can google all your facts for those post

Strange thing is many years ago in Lancashire it was always cod in the chippy (hell knows what it is now) you never got haddock although they also had plaice too perhaps with being close to Morcambe? Any way I remember the cod wars and the chippy started selling rock salmon because cod was rare and pricey just like now I suppose, little did I know though that this rock salmon was dog fish yuck!! But things have changed going to the fish monger last week I asked if the fillets on the slab where silver hake? yes replied the fish monger I said I cant afford that he said "yes you can it's cheaper than haddie fillets!

Hi looking to try some fish and chips in the town as we have recently moved here. Ive just looked through most of the threads but can i ask this question.
    I only like Haddock but it must be fresh (or are they all frozen) and which chippie is the best for batter i like fairly light batter not thick stodgy stuff ...and do they serve scraps ! (Yorkshire thing the bits of the batter that acculate in the fryer)

Hi Sam, if you want Yorkshire style fish n' chips then go to the Castletown Chippie, they are Yorkshire folk. I am sure they would give you scraps if you ask.
    Oh the fish n' chips we've had in Yorkshire, Stamford Bridge, Robin Hoods Bay etc... drool.
    Having said that, you won't get fresher fish anywhere than in the Caithness chippers, the Upper Deck do a real good battered haddock.
    Last edited by Lavenderblue2; 09-Aug-10 at 17:02. Reason: Typo :o(

Henrietta street for a take away, but Wickers World for sit in fish and chips.

In Thurso when Brass and Stephens were the two chippies they both did batter bits, and I have had some from Riverside on request.

Also in Thurso now the Blue door cafe on the caravan site do a delicious fish and chip tea on a Friday night, and further west at Bettyhill, Elizabeths do a friday night fish supper special. All fresh haddock.

Thursday last week we went to Halladale Inn with visitors from Arbroath who both had their fresh haddock with chips and salad. Plates cleared of every morsel.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Thanks for all the replies but fish battered with the skin on my god!

This walter macphees chippy ive not seen this? we are close by this area is it out the other way?
    Last edited by samf1971; 09-Aug-10 at 19:48.

This walter macphees chippy ive not seen this? we are close by this area is it out the other way?

That chippy is called Henrietta's and yes they leave the skin on , the harbour chippy doesn't leave the skin on and it's my personal favourite for haddock.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

I think we had a similar thread some time ago with similar posts but all saying the same thing. Give me Harbour or Henrietta's for the best fish and chips but avoid Houstons if you want haddie because they always opt for the cheapest fish and it totally ruins a good supper.

If you are out the Castletown way, the chippie there is really good, haddock and no skin never had a bad fish supper yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast