Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: tomato soup

Default tomato soup

does anyone have a recipe for tomato soup.

The one I use is-
    1 Can tomatoes
    3 Medium potatoes
    1 Medium Carrot
    Half a small onion
    1 Pint stock, chicken or beef
    Cook gently until potatoes are soft.
    Put in blender and blend
    Return to pot and season to suit.
    I love it, as does my family

This is just a rough idea as I don’t use a recipe but it’s a good basis to play around with. When tomatoes are cheapish and plentiful you can be generous.

In your largest pan soften 1 or 2 large chopped onion in a good dollop of butter and olive oil.
    Add two or three large grated carrots and a good few pounds of ripe tomatoes which have been chopped up, remembering to remove the hard woody bit at the top as this won’t blitz down at the end. Keep the skins on, there's a lot of flavour in these.
    Sweat these down until the juice is released from the tomatoes.
    Add about two to three good tablespoons of tomato puree and
    About two pints (or more, to cover tomatoes) of good chicken or vegetable stock, season well with salt and pepper and simmer (don't boil) for about half an hour or more.
    Blitz with a food processor wand or similar until smooth. Add sugar to taste, this is important you'll know when it tastes right, adjust seasoning if required.

Serve with a dash of single cream and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.