Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cyclists

Niall, stay away from cities where the bike is king then, as you'll be in this scenario (bikes undertaking) at every set of lights!

That doesn't bother me, as it just shows how slow traffic is moving in urban areas when the cyclist I passed five minutes ago, passes me.

Shutting them out from doing their undertaking can be the fuel to the fire of roadrage - ever had a cyclist kick a door mirror off then disappear down a side street?....

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict
    Errr, that whiteline is often not there....

And the issue of kerbs being a hazard is kind of hard to avoid when you are cycling and in heavy traffic, with vehicles coming from both directions thereby reducing the space used by vehicles overtaking a cyclist. And when it is a queue of traffic sometimes the cyclist is forced nearer the kerb than they would like to get....

Exactly when did you last cycle? Avoid hitting drains? Bit hard when they stick out 18 inches or more into the road. Oh, but then I'll just swerve blindly around the drains and hope the driver behind is :
    a) awake
    b) paying attention
    c) not talking on a phone or applying makeup
    d) not a hater of cyclists......
    e) a boy racer out to impress his mates
    f) not driving a 42 ton truck as wide as the lane and suffering from sleep deprivation after driving across Europe to deliver the latest load of cheap Polish vegetables to the supermarket distribution point....

Solution, buy a suspension bike and it wont matter I cycle often but very rarely am I bothered about drains at the side of the road.

I prefer the suspension provided by my Volvo now thnx

Highway Code
    Rule 51: You should

* keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
    * keep both feet on the pedals
    * not ride more than two abreast
    * ride in single file on narrow or busy roads.........
    The trouble is that the Highway Code is merely guidelines for rsponsible road use by motorists and cyclists, not mandatory practice.
    Blazing Sporrans
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail...." Ralph Waldo Emerson

It is also backed up by the Road Traffic Act - so while some parts are 'guidelines' other parts are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison.

It is also backed up by the Road Traffic Act - so while some parts are 'guidelines' other parts are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison.
    Unfortunately (and I mean that most sincerely folks) the parts about cyclists riding not more than two abreast or in single file on narrow country roads isn't - although it should be!
    Blazing Sporrans
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail...." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm sure a switched on traffic cop could conjure some offence up...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12