Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: caterpillars the grey dagger moth

Talking caterpillars the grey dagger moth

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...r/DSC01284.jpg

listed as endangered they are certainly not endangered in my garden at present there is about 20 of these caterpillars happily chomping their way through my pear tree.. Because they were endangered in 07 ...I am leaving them be. Never seen these up here before is anyone else having a infestation of the Grey Dagger moth?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...r/DSC01284.jpg

listed as endangered they are certainly not endangered in my garden at present there is about 20 of these caterpillars happily chomping their way through my pear tree.. Because they were endangered in 07 ...I am leaving them be. Never seen these up here before is anyone else having a infestation of the Grey Dagger moth?
    I find them most years here, generally on fruit trees but also hawthorn or willow. They are a very attractive larva, and like most of the more exciting caterpillars, have a ratehr boring adult

Hi Birdie

Grey Dagger is widely but thinly distributed in Caithness and quite often identified by gardens from the distinctive caterpillars.

Can you send me a PM with the location and the number of caterpillars so that I can record the details in the County database?

I disagree with spurtle - I think that the adult moth is beautifully marked creature - a subtle blend of contrasting grey and black. I will post a photograph and then you can decide for yourself!

Pterodroma

Talking Grey dagger moth

Thanks for your replies I have never seen them here before.

Cheers

is this the same caterpillar and can anyone tell what the other one is?

and think we have about 10 of the hairy ones and about 60 of the non hairy ones chewing my silver birch to pieces

Quote Originally Posted by lynne duncan View Post

is this the same caterpillar and can anyone tell what the other one is?

and think we have about 10 of the hairy ones and about 60 of the non hairy ones chewing my silver birch to pieces
    Your non-hairy ones are sawflies, which are very destructive. Characteristically, they curve the rear end up when disturbed. A sharp tap will dislodge them, but they probably climb back up again without too much trouble.