Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Supporting England when Scotland aren't involved???

What's happened to all the England supporters now? Perhaps they have crawled under their rocks.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Don't know where the England supporters are but I hear the Faeroes are looking for a football team to beat again.

Any volunteers? (Only decent teams need apply this time!)

At least the England supporters had their team to support during Euro 2004 - not like us Scots. I dont subscrie to this bigoted, racist garbage about supporting any team that England are playing - I'll leave that to the pea brained, tartan clad, foot soldiers of the "Tartan Army" (sic).
    Isn't it ironic that the oft quoted reasons for not supporting England is that you would never hear the endo of it if they did well.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Default Rivals

What are you on about? bigotry?!! What a joke!! Scotland and England have always been rivals and always will be. How many celtic supporters would support rangers in the league or in europe? Just because they are next door to us doesnt mean we have to support them, after all who would want to support a team whose fans love nothing more than brawling. Before Euro 2004 I wasnt too bothered about England but as soon as they started showing who they could play in the final before a ball was even kicked, they were just asking us to hope they fail

Just as a matter of interest, is anybody old enough to remember when the Scotland team won anything of any consequence at Football?

Yes I am that old. But since I am that old, I can't remember what it was.

I prefer rugby anyway.

I know the feeling GB, I have vague recollections of some sort of Goal Post incident at Wembley, or was it the Centre Spot? I can't remember.
    But that was only the Home Championship and that hardly counted as a top rate competition, more of a post-season wind-down!

Come on! Somebody must be able to help! Scotland must have won something once surely!

Anonymous Guest

Scotland doesnt need to win at sports to be appreciated.

Without Scotland, NO ONE would be watching it on TV or discussing it on the Internet.

Microsoft's Messenger would be a bloke on a horse and that would prolly be full of bugs as well

Is anyone old enough to remember when England won anything of any great importance?!?!

I suspect that answers a lot of questions, jealousy is a terrible affliction.

The nearest I can think of waqs in a World Cup in the 1970's in South America.
    They gave a lot of the usual 'Top Teams' quite a fright.
    They just missed the Knock Out section and didn't lose a match doing it.
    "Ally's Army!" if you care to remember! Scotland was proud of them.
    The Team could play football then and the Supporters weren't sore losers!

Shame the Good Old Days aren't still with us and the players to go with them!

What are you on about? bigotry?!! What a joke!! Scotland and England have always been rivals and always will be. How many celtic supporters would support rangers in the league or in europe? Just because they are next door to us doesnt mean we have to support them, after all who would want to support a team whose fans love nothing more than brawling. Before Euro 2004 I wasnt too bothered about England but as soon as they started showing who they could play in the final before a ball was even kicked, they were just asking us to hope they fail
    Henrik whilst I agree that Scotland and England are historic rivals kind of like Wick and Thurso, we are part of the UK (or Caithness for Wick/Thurso), there is some common ground there. The Rangers/Keltic analogy is totally different as Keltic do not consider themselves to be a British or Scottish football club What was it Billy McNeill is quoted as saying? An Irish club who happen to play their games in Scotland
    I dont think I advocated supporting England, simply that supporting the teams they were playing agianst is a wee bit pathetic.
    Generalisations about their fans loving brawling are just that......generalisations, anyone who has witnessed the Tartan Army could generalise that they love exposing themselves (somehting that would get you put on a sex offended register if done when not "supporting" Scotland, or is that representing your country abroad).

But aren't Scotland Supporter's following the best British Tradition when England Play?
    Don't the British of whatever Nationality always support the Underdog!

mmmmmmm ........No I think that England were underdogs against France and Portugal in Euro 2004........they certainly were against Brazil in the last World Cup, but I did not see a lot of support for the underdog in those instances.

But as Squidge says - it is only football, and as long as all the anti-English brigade can live with their immaturity and insecurity in their own culture I dont suppose it really matters

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345