Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Microsoft error reports phone call

Default Microsoft error reports phone call

I had a telephone call today claiming to be from microsoft. The caller reckoned he was from Microsoft and told me they have received error reports from my computer and could they show me them. They wanted me to start up my pc and log on the internet. Propably so they could remotely control my pc. I explained I have a new laptop and I don't think it could have come from here. I also never send error reports to Microsoft. I was busy at the time so, fortunatley I couldn't spare the time.

After thinking about it for a wee while, I suddenly thought "Could it be a scam?" After all if I let them remotely use my pc could they access all my personal details. I asked them to call me back this evening. I am still awaiting the call. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    I had a telephone call today claiming to be from microsoft. The caller reckoned he was from Microsoft and told me they have received error reports from my computer and could they show me them. They wanted me to start up my pc and log on the internet. Propably so they could remotely control my pc. I explained I have a new laptop and I don't think it could have come from here. I also never send error reports to Microsoft. I was busy at the time so, fortunatley I couldn't spare the time.

After thinking about it for a wee while, I suddenly thought "Could it be a scam?" After all if I let them remotely use my pc could they access all my personal details. I asked them to call me back this evening. I am still awaiting the call. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
    thanks for the warning

I got this call as well, last week I think it was. Told the guy I had no problems and he was quite snotty at the refusal. Today I see this on tinterweb:
    http://www.walletpop.co.uk/2010/07/2...er-virus-scam/
    it's a sair fecht

This is 100% a SCAM. Microsoft would not phone you and ask to get control of your computer. This gas been going on for some time now and the calls come from outside UK.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Default Scam

This is not a scam, I had the same call last week and when I had supplied the very nice man with all my bank details, my mothers maiden name, and my place of birth, he was able to remedy the situation for me in no time at all.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.