Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: John Budge Murray

Default John Budge Murray

Hi On further research I have discovered my Gt Gt Uncle John Budge Murray born 16th June 1847 in Olrig died 16th Nov 1910 in Castletown married Jessie Sandison born 21st Dec 1865 at Olrig daughter of George Sandison and Ann Sinclair, they were married in Aberdeen on 19th April 1888 she was a teacher and he was a Captain in the Chinese Naval Service. They had at least four children Ann born 1889 John B born 1892 George b 1895 and Maggie B b 1898. Does anyone else have an interest? Many Thanks.

Hi scotsannie

Do you know where the Budge part of John's name comes from - mother's maiden name? I've still go lots of missing Budge family members, so I'm always interested when a Budge crops up.

Thanks ... Simon

Default budge

Hi Worthingbudge,
    Why not tell us which Budge line you hail from, that would be much easier.

Regards,
    Trinkie

Default Re budge

Hi Worthingbudge, John's middle name comes from his Granny Margaret Budge born to John Budge and Margaret Burgess, Margaret was born1821 (don't yet have the exact date) in Fordyce Banff she died 13.12.1916 93yrs of natural decay in Olrig. Her parents were married 10th May 1820. Margaret married John Murray(my 2 x Gt Grandad) on 29th March 1844 at Thurso and they had 10 children two of whom had the middle name Budge and two had the middle name Burgess. Hope this is of some help.

Judith,
    My maternal grandmother's mother, Catherine Murray, was John Budge Murray's sister. My grandmother told me that he commanded three frigates in the South China Sea, allegedly chasing pirates. I've just commissioned a naval researcher who has worked for me before, to see what he can find out about John, particularly as he was a master mariner (civilian) rather than RN trained. He will also investigate Donald and William, lost at sea, and Robert Burgess, merchant seaman. There were 11 children in the family!
    Mike

Mike, Have sent you a pm. Judith

My Great Great Grandmother was Janet Budge (Forse, Latheron) wed Hugh McKay (Nottingham, Latheron) in Latheron 4 April 1833. My line stops with their marriage certificate there but I plan to visit soon