Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bumblebee nest - advice needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bumblebee nest - advice needed

So exciting - just found I have a nest of bumblebees in the bottom of my plastic composter. It's one of those with a slide up lid at the bottom and I've seen a bee flying in and out before but didn't realise I had a nest until I took the lid off today and heard this busy buzzing going on under all the rubbish. Seems my efforts to make the garden insect and bird friendly are being rewarded

I know nothing about them. Will they just fly off eventually? Should I leave this composter alone until it goes quiet (I have others)? Any advice appreciated.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.bumblebeeconservation.org

Any idea what breed of bumblebee they are?
    If possible get some pictures and forward with any queeries you may have to the above, they are extremely helpfull.

Thanks Lizz. Haven't managed to get them to stop long enough for a proper look but will try to identify. They're not very big. How do I persuade one to pose? They just dart in and out. Maybe I'll have to put something juicy nearby. I'd give anything to see inside.

We have a nest of bumble bees in our rockery. I cant say that I can hear them buzzing - we just see them constantly going in and out this crack in the rocks. They are big hairy beasties with white bums but we have seen loads of the rarer yellow bumble bee too in the garden this year (I forget their correct names). If yours are small and moving fast, it might be honey bees. Exciting either way so good luck with them.
    If you feed them, please be sure not to put out real honey to them unless it is locally sourced...the honey from other areas may carry diseases that whilst harmless to humans could pass on to honey bees up here.

They're definitely bumblebees. I was thinking of one their favourite flowers to put near the composter in the hopes one might stay long enough for me to get a proper look. Wouldn't give them honey - I'd heard that warning. Always loved bumblebees, there's something about them.

They won't stay still long enough for a good pic. but managed two. They seem to be common garden bumblebees but it must be an unusual home? Couldn't get the worker bees as they are small enough to go straight in, the bigger ones take a little while.