Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pregnant mums to be paid to quit smoking

Bingobabe,

No one is condemning you that I can see and of course you can smoke all you want .. free country isnt it. I think what people are trying to point out is that its bad for you. If you notice when you said you had bought patches I wished you luck with stopping but no one has told you to stop have they ?? (and I certainly wouldnt dream of it), The topic was about Pregnant women smoking which is just stupid and being given incentives to stop is just even more stupid (and a waste of our taxes) as a Responsible pregnant women wouldnt smoke at all. No one with a shred of responsibility would risk their children in ANY way would they ??

If anyone is taking this thread personally it is you I am afraid.

Calm Down Dear .. its only a commercial ..
    Love Many .. Trust a Few .. Always Paddle your Own Canoe.

I can not say what my opinion is regarding some of the posts on this thread because I would get barred for life.

Making out that smoking whilst pregnant should be treated as manslaughter is laughable at best.

Stating that hitting kids because you have lost the plot is ok, to my mind comes under the heading of abuse.

Some folk should take a look at their own glass houses before they start throwing stones.

Reading your comments on this thread, Rheghead, I am assuming that you have no bad habits, addictions or faults, you are ovbiously Sainthood material, please let me know which committee votes on this, so I can put in a letter of commendation as you are so obviously perfection personified
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass
    Rheghead, I am assuming that you have no bad habits, addictions or faults, you are ovbiously Sainthood material, please let me know which committee votes on this, so I can put in a letter of commendation as you are so obviously perfection personified
    Of course! I revel in the fact that I am so perfect.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass
    Making out that smoking whilst pregnant should be treated as manslaughter is laughable at best
    How is it?

Take reckless driving for instance. A chap speeds round a blind bend on the wrong side of a lonely highland road to overtake a car. He knows full well that there may be cars coming but small chance. He is being reckless to life and limb. Similiarly, a woman takes a reckless decision to smoke while pregnant in that she may harm her unborn baby if she knows there are risks attached. It is the same frame of mind.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    How is it?

Take reckless driving for instance. A chap speeds round a blind bend on the wrong side of a lonely highland road to overtake a car. He knows full well that there may be cars coming but small chance. He is being reckless to life and limb. Similiarly, a woman takes a reckless decision to smoke while pregnant in that she may harm her unborn baby if she knows there are risks attached. It is the same frame of mind.
    Sorry Rheg I think the mothers are winning this discussion hands down, and I am going to side with them, I'm no daft
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    How is it?

A more accurate analogy might be comparing smoking during pregnant to driving with a tyre who's tread is worn just below the legal limit. It is a hazard that MIGHT lead to an crash that wouldn't otherwise occur, but is no where near the risk level that blind overtaking is.

(By the way, whilst I don't smoke, I do have an addiction, which I battle with every day.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nello
    Bingobabe,

No one is condemning you that I can see and of course you can smoke all you want .. free country isnt it. I think what people are trying to point out is that its bad for you. If you notice when you said you had bought patches I wished you luck with stopping but no one has told you to stop have they ?? (and I certainly wouldnt dream of it), The topic was about Pregnant women smoking which is just stupid and being given incentives to stop is just even more stupid (and a waste of our taxes) as a Responsible pregnant women wouldnt smoke at all. No one with a shred of responsibility would risk their children in ANY way would they ??

I was going to leave this as it was but you are really begining to annoy me!!! But you keep on pushing and pushing the matter further than it needs to be disscussed what right have you got to call anyone stupid?????Making out your a saint i bet you got alot more skeletons in your closet than your making out!!!And another thing our taxes pay for alot of useless things trying to help a pregnant mother is a good thing not a stupid one have a little bit of compassion or dont you possess such a thing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nello
    Bingobabe,

EXCUSE ME! i take that to offence and im not even pregnant!!!!!!!! i never have been. but it still gets right up my nose when people try to act all inoccent when they proberly have more dark secrets than the rest of us! i realy wish people would think befor they speek and im sure im not the only one who feels this way some people always have to take it tooooooo far
    I'm not stupid just mentally challenged

Quote Originally Posted by crystal
    EXCUSE ME! i take that to offence and im not even pregnant!!!!!!!! i never have been. but it still gets right up my nose when people try to act all inoccent when they proberly have more dark secrets than the rest of us! i realy wish people would think befor they speek and im sure im not the only one who feels this way some people always have to take it tooooooo far
    WELL SAID!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco
    I completely agree - the fact that parents smoke and endanger the health and futures of their children should be officially recorded so that the said child can prosecute later in life should they wish to do so. If the mother / father doesn't give a monkey's about the health of their child they should get what's coming to them later on.. from the individual most affected.
    Yeah we will all go down the american path, if it looks at you the wrong way, sue it.
    Make smoking, drinking, etc, whilst pregnant, illegal.
    If people can't realise the harm they cause their babies whilst smoking let's take the resposibility away from them.
    Last edited by pultneytooner; 01-Jul-06 at 18:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Bingobabe
    I was going to leave this as it was but you are really begining to annoy me!!! But you keep on pushing and pushing the matter further than it needs to be disscussed what right have you got to call anyone stupid?????Making out your a saint i bet you got alot more skeletons in your closet than your making out!!!And another thing our taxes pay for alot of useless things trying to help a pregnant mother is a good thing not a stupid one have a little bit of compassion or dont you possess such a thing!!!

Sorry if I annoyed you by answering your posts .. what was I thinking ??

Why didnt you stick to your post of "Whatever end of discussion etc" if you dont like people replying to you ?? .. When you post on a public forum then people will sometimes disagree with what you post .. last time I checked it was a messageboard for discussion .. and by the way I just checked my posts and not once did I call you stupid .. not once. So I suggest that you actually READ what I write before you reply.
    Love Many .. Trust a Few .. Always Paddle your Own Canoe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234