Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant mums to be paid to quit smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Bingobabe
    I do not smoke near my child!!!!!!!!! Just because the law banned people from smoking in public places everybody jumps on the bandwagon and think its there right to pass judgement on smokers. Years ago women smoked heavily while pregnant also they smoked in the same room you didnt hear about cancer then as much as you do today ohhh and before any one trys to say i think its alright to smoke with children in the same room i am not. I am clearly disapointed that people are sterotyping all mothers that smoke and stating they couldnt give a monkeys cause you cant put people in boxes its politically incorrect. And whatever happened to a persons rights its there choice whether they smoke or not or have we suddenely lost our rights on that as well. Ok rant over for now!!!
    you say about a person's rights, what about the unborn child's rights?

What a fascinating thread. there are a lot of services and quit aids available for people that want to stop smoking, but the point is that they have to want to stop and be prepared to work at it. Yes, nicotine is one of the most highly addictive drugs known to man. Most parents who smoke would not want their children to take it up, yet statistically, the children of smokers are more likely to start.

The argument about choice is an interesting one - would you choose to spend lots of money risking your health, putting up with social disapproval etc etc....or are you addicted to the extent that nicotine is making the choice for you?

There is an awful lot more to being a good parent than whether or not you smoke, but love of your children should be a great incentive to try really hard to quit. And as for the grandchildren....well you would like to be around to see them wouldn't you? 0800 84 84 84 - Smokeline is waiting for your call.

For one i did not say that it was morally right to smoke while pregnant!!!For two my baby weighed a healthy 7 pound 14 ounces the biggest baby on the ward and i was the only smoker!!!All i am trying to say is that no one has the right to make statements such as someone does not love or care for their child as much as a non smoker because they dont smoke that is the biggest heap of nonsense i have ever heard. Yes i belive in our human rights choice,freedom of speech ect ect. And it was my choice to smoke not because i dont care or love my child but because smoking is a highly addictive bad habit and which i am trying to kick. And my child will grow up knowing he,s loved and thats the main thing in my eyes. I dont understand how people can get such stupid ideas in there head if thats the way alot of people think no wonder the word discrimanation exsists!!

well really its only shear luck that pregnant women who smoke have healthy babies. i had asthma as a child caused by my mum smoking in her pregnancy. my hubby still has asthma as a result and has to take inhalers every day.

Default Smoking whilst pregnant

I hate seeing a pregnant women smoking whilst pregant its awful and unhealthy not only for her but her unborn child, i didnt smoke or drink whilst pregnant ( dont smoke anyway) i always thought of my child i was carrying, if my child does get asthma then i wont feel so guilty,if i did smoke i would be punishing myself and this getting vouchers to quit smoking while pregnant is ridiculous, what about the people who have the will power and gave up when the ban came in no one gave them any vouchers or praise so why praise a selfish mother for harming her own flesh and blood.

Quote Originally Posted by katarina
    And what proof would there be that the woman wasn't claiming to have stopped smoking to claim her £50 and still having a fly one on the side? Are they going to install cameras in every room in her house and have spies follow her around? what nonsense!

Simple blood testing: CO2 and nicotine and probably others.....
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Hmm, I find the "holier than thou" attitude displayed in some of the previous posts to be a tad distasteful. Bingobabe said she's trying to give up smoking. Why not give her some support instead of being so critical?

As for the vouchers... Again, why not support mothers-to-be who're trying to give up? The "rewards of up to £50 per month" are in the form of vouchers and I'm sure they won't be costing the NHS £50 per head. The companies involved will surely not be charging £50 for each £50-worth of vouchers.

Good luck with quitting Bingobabe!
    Last edited by DrSzin; 30-Jun-06 at 11:02. Reason: Missed out a crucial "not"!

Quote Originally Posted by DrSzin
    Hmm, I find the "holier than thou" attitude displayed in some of the previous posts to be a tad distasteful.
    a tad??? its very distasteful. Sanctimonious unpleasant looking down their noses if you ask me. I never smoked when i was pregnant - but then i dont smoke full stop so what would i have to be smug about? i had the occasional glass of wine but was never drunk but then i hardly drink at all anyways so again - what do i have to be smug about? All these people who say how terrible it is for a mother to smoke speak of themseves as unselfish and putting the needs tof their children first like they are some sort of icon to aspire to. There are many non smokers amongst mothers who do far worse to their chidlren than have a sneaky fag.

Oh! and there are lots of mums for whom pregnancy isnt the stressfree and easy time we would hope, some women are coping with poverty and relationship issues and money issues and housing issues and work problems and all sorts of things that will contribute to being pregnant being an extremely difficult and stressful time. Its not always an ideal rosey world where giving up smioking is as easy as 1,2,3

I think anything that helps people to stop is to be welcomed and all this sneering and preening isnt helpful at all
    Last edited by squidge; 30-Jun-06 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by emszxr
    well really its only shear luck that pregnant women who smoke have healthy babies. i had asthma as a child caused by my mum smoking in her pregnancy. my hubby still has asthma as a result and has to take inhalers every day.
    Absoulte rubbish my mother did not smoke when she was pregnant and breastfeed and i still got asthma!!! Asthma is genitic not caused by smoking if it runs in your family then theres a high possibility that you will pass this on to your children!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by squidge
    There are many non smokers amongst mothers who do far worse to their chidlren than have a sneaky fag.
    Any evidence?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

MMMMMM for all you lot who a complete saints!!!! It easy for you to critise as you dont smoke and dont know what its like to crave a cigarette or to try and quit and it is one of the most difficult things to do!!! And i think its a good idea to give mothers to be vouchers it gives them more of an incentive to quit. And i hope that it works out for them unlike you lot i wont be looking down my nose at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    I hate seeing a pregnant women smoking whilst pregant its awful and unhealthy not only for her but her unborn child, i didnt smoke or drink whilst pregnant ( dont smoke anyway) i always thought of my child i was carrying, if my child does get asthma then i wont feel so guilty,if i did smoke i would be punishing myself and this getting vouchers to quit smoking while pregnant is ridiculous, what about the people who have the will power and gave up when the ban came in no one gave them any vouchers or praise so why praise a selfish mother for harming her own flesh and blood.
    Dont look then if you hate it so much turn the other cheek.

you no what in the end its the mothers choice weather to smoke or not its no one elses disition and no one has the right to pass judgmet over them. sounds like bingobabe is getting quite agitated over this whole thing
    I'm not stupid just mentally challenged

Quote Originally Posted by crystal
    you no what in the end its the mothers choice weather to smoke or not its no one elses disition and no one has the right to pass judgmet over them. sounds like bingobabe is getting quite agitated over this whole thing
    Nope i am not agititated!!! Just trying to put my point across to a few narrow minded people thats all. Ohh and stop rolling your eyes at me!!!
    Last edited by Bingobabe; 30-Jun-06 at 13:03.

ok thats ok then
    I'm not stupid just mentally challenged

asthma CAN be caused by mothers smoking when pregnant. no one else in my family has it so it aint genetics

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    Any evidence?
    I do fostering, so I see some of evidence of what people do to their kids, and they are not all smokers, thats for sure
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by emszxr
    asthma CAN be caused by mothers smoking when pregnant. no one else in my family has it so it aint genetics
    Prove it!!! Oh you cant its all guess work!!

Quote Originally Posted by changilass
    I do fostering, so I see some of evidence of what people do to their kids, and they are not all smokers, thats for sure
    Exactly my point changilass - all this holier than thou stuff over smoking when people turn their face away from children who are beaten and neglected day after day after day.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge
    children who are beaten and neglected day after day after day.
    Is that worse than causing birth defects?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast