Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant mums to be paid to quit smoking

Default Pregnant mums to be paid to quit smoking

I am at a loss re the following article on GRAMPIAN news.

Pregnant mums who smoke in Tayside are being offered a range of incentives to kick the habit.
    A new scheme will offer them incentives worth up to £50 a month if they
    NHS Tayside is denying that the incentives are merely bribes.
    quit.
    Lead Pharmacist of NHS Tayside Andrew Radley said: "It's been proven that only six to eight per cent of people manage to stop smoking even with help, so to try and stop without any help is an uphill struggle. We hope that these incentives plus the social support and the opportunity for them to get nicotine replacement therapy from their local chemist they will stand a bigger chance of kicking the habit for good.
    "We're offering things like vouchers for them to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, free entry into fitness and leisure facilities and classes in relaxation and stress management. These things will improve the lives of the women who take part in it.
    NHS Tayside will offer them a range of incentives valued at up to £50 a month things like grocery vouchers, access to leisure centres, creche facilites and stress and relaxation classes.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

if they dont stop smoking for the sake of their babies health i dont think they ever will.Its one of the worst things i see is a pregnant woman with a fag hanging out their mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattie B
    if they dont stop smoking for the sake of their babies health i dont think they ever will.Its one of the worst things i see is a pregnant woman with a fag hanging out their mouths.
    Exactly, it's disgusting. Another thing is people driving about with a car load of kids and smoking in the car!!
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

some people dont know how lucky they are to have healthy babies.I know what like it is to have one thats been poorly and i never smoked or took drink or drugs when pregnant or any other time for that matter.

I think seeing anybody smoking is disgusting. But if they are willing to subsidise the NHS then so be it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattie B
    I agree, in fact they should be penilised for smoking while pregnant not rewarded for not smoking, how selfish can people be.
    Like you said there is nothing worse than seeing a pegnant woman with a fag hanging out their mouth. The baby should take top priority and every precation should be taken to ensure their healthy arrival into this world.

Quote Originally Posted by clash67
    I agree, in fact they should be penilised for smoking while pregnant not rewarded for not smoking, how selfish can people be.
    I completely agree - the fact that parents smoke and endanger the health and futures of their children should be officially recorded so that the said child can prosecute later in life should they wish to do so. If the mother / father doesn't give a monkey's about the health of their child they should get what's coming to them later on.. from the individual most affected.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

And what proof would there be that the woman wasn't claiming to have stopped smoking to claim her £50 and still having a fly one on the side? Are they going to install cameras in every room in her house and have spies follow her around? what nonsense!
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Default Drugs during pregnancy

Did you see the paper yestarday that there is a really high figure of babies born in the UK stoned because of the mothers drug taking. This is so sad. But what can you do as said before if people won't give up their habits for the health and well being of their kids then they never will.

Default Fly Fags

Quote Originally Posted by katarina
    And what proof would there be that the woman wasn't claiming to have stopped smoking to claim her £50 and still having a fly one on the side? Are they going to install cameras in every room in her house and have spies follow her around? what nonsense!
    Apparently they test them during the period of the pregnancy.

http://www.northtonight.tv/content/d..._1&newsid=9344
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Quote Originally Posted by katarina
    They don't get £50 any more than when you get a load of vouchers worth £50 from a supermarket you get £50, the vouchers are always for things you never buy.

Quote Originally Posted by clash67
    Like you said there is nothing worse than seeing a pegnant woman with a fag hanging out their mouth. The baby should take top priority and every precation should be taken to ensure their healthy arrival into this world.
    Totally agree....

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco
    I completely agree - the fact that parents smoke and endanger the health and futures of their children should be officially recorded so that the said child can prosecute later in life should they wish to do so. If the mother / father doesn't give a monkey's about the health of their child they should get what's coming to them later on.. from the individual most affected.
    I am totally outraged with some of the comments on this thread. Smoking is an addiction just like drink or drug abuse it isnt that easy to stop either!!!
    I have a healthy 9 month old baby and i struggled to quit while a was pregnant and just because somebody smokes doesnt mean they dont care about there child. Infact im probabarly a better parent than most!!!I love my child more than life itself and how dare any one be judgemental and say because some one smokes they should get whats coming to them later on in life!!!!What a disgraceful thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bingobabe
    I am totally outraged with some of the comments on this thread. Smoking is an addiction just like drink or drug abuse it isnt that easy to stop either!!!
    I have a healthy 9 month old baby and i struggled to quit while a was pregnant and just because somebody smokes doesnt mean they dont care about there child. Infact im probabarly a better parent than most!!!I love my child more than life itself and how dare any one be judgemental and say because some one smokes they should get whats coming to them later on in life!!!!What a disgraceful thing to say.
    i totaly agree with you bingobabe. its not as easy as some may think to quit but on the other hand i do feel that if the mother cears for her child she would try that little bit more to quit. congrats to u bingobabe for making that effort though meany do find it very very difficult.
    I'm not stupid just mentally challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Bingobabe
    I apologise if you feel dismayed/upset by previous comments made. I understand that giving up must be a nightmare but I still feel the rights of the child are paramount. You don't say if you managed to give up smoking but I hope you have. My husband is a smoker but never smoked near me when I was pregnant and never smokes in the house. I wish he didn't smoke but I can't have everything.

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm
    I apologise if you feel dismayed/upset by previous comments made. I understand that giving up must be a nightmare but I still feel the rights of the child are paramount. You don't say if you managed to give up smoking but I hope you have. My husband is a smoker but never smoked near me when I was pregnant and never smokes in the house. I wish he didn't smoke but I can't have everything.
    its good that your husband was conciderate of you.congrats to him

Quote Originally Posted by crystal
    i totaly agree with you bingobabe. its not as easy as some may think to quit but on the other hand i do feel that if the mother cears for her child she would try that little bit more to quit. congrats to u bingobabe for making that effort though meany do find it very very difficult.
    MMMMM Im still trying to give up!!!! And i do care very much for my child so please reframe from passing judgement on others that smoke like i said before it is an addiction.

im not passing judgement sorry if it seems that way just giving my opininon. sorry if offends anyone

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm
    I do not smoke near my child!!!!!!!!! Just because the law banned people from smoking in public places everybody jumps on the bandwagon and think its there right to pass judgement on smokers. Years ago women smoked heavily while pregnant also they smoked in the same room you didnt hear about cancer then as much as you do today ohhh and before any one trys to say i think its alright to smoke with children in the same room i am not. I am clearly disapointed that people are sterotyping all mothers that smoke and stating they couldnt give a monkeys cause you cant put people in boxes its politically incorrect. And whatever happened to a persons rights its there choice whether they smoke or not or have we suddenely lost our rights on that as well. Ok rant over for now!!!
    Last edited by Bingobabe; 29-Jun-06 at 18:12.

Bit confused as to why Smoking in say a Pub is a criminal offence as it is classed as endangering peoples health through passive smoking .. BUT .. a pregnant woman is given incentives and basically bribes not to endanger the health of her unborn child.

Are there grounds to treat both situations in the same way ??
    Love Many .. Trust a Few .. Always Paddle your Own Canoe.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast