Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missing Councillors

Councilors have to have holidays too.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by katarina
    Councilors have to have holidays too.
    No they don't!! They have made sure through their taxes that most of us won't be having a holiday, so no they don't have to have a holiday, get their job done properly and then maybe they can go on holiday!!

Quote Originally Posted by dunderheed
    "Thurso has no place place for those who sit on the fence to avoid controversy.
    Get out now and make way for people who will represent Thurso in a fair and just manner."

bit harsh considering that katrina mcnab is a councillor representing a wick ward.
    Is it harsh because she was going to be voting on a thurso matter.

Default Careful!

Quote Originally Posted by clash67
    yeah and i wouldn't be suprised if she added her holiday to her expense account!
    Alright for some, i won't be having a holiday this year, is it right that we are paying the wages of a councillor who, when needed is away galavantin in a sumbrairo!
    I reckon the councillors are reelin from the re-action their insane decision recieved from our community on the org. I just hope that they are paying attention. they forget sometimes that they are working for us.
    i can't wait till they come knocking on my door looking for votes!
    They better make the most of their free trips to Inverness because it looks like they have blown their chances of being voted back in..hopefully.
    The phrase " yeah and i wouldn't be suprised if she added her holiday to her expense account! " is not an acceptable one. As has already been said, Katrina works very hard for her money and is a credit to her post. She, along with all of us, is entitled to her holiday. After all, holidays are arranged way in advance and is it totally inconceivable that the two members who were absent really could not make it? Again, Billy Mowat is a very good representative and neither of them deserve the flak that is going their way.

Just because members are voted in, we do not own them. Yes, they are there to represent us and I am sure they do their best. Just because a percentage of people do not agree with their decisions does not make them wrong. Surely they made an informed decision base on what was put before them. Surely the time to make a fuss was before now by communicating with our representatives.

Do we really need to get so hysterical over a supermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by pultneytooner
    Is it harsh because she was going to be voting on a thurso matter.
    Absolutely. And the furore would have been on the other foot if the planning application had been passed with all three Thurso councillors voting against. I have some sympathy for Graeme Smith's position - it's the three Thurso guys you want to have words with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann
    Surely they made an informed decision base on what was put before them.
    I would say not. Indeed, based on the furore this decision has caused, I would go further and suggest that the Thurso councillors failed miserably to communicate with their constituency in advance of the meeting.
    Last edited by DrSzin; 29-Jun-06 at 16:14.

They are not missing, here they are get e-mailing them

The ones you want are -
    roger.saxon.cllr@highland.gov.uk
    tom.jackson.cllr@highland.gov.uk
    donald.mackay.cllr@highland.gov.uk
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Does anyone know why Mr Ewart proposed the planning application should be accepted, if it went against the town plan? I was always under the impression if something went against the town plan, the he would recommend the application be refused.

I also agree it is the Thurso Councillors our gripes should be with, no the missing Wick councillors.

Smile A Councillors Reply

Quote Originally Posted by kwbrown111
    Surely they would've have known this vote was coming up and been able to let the commitee know which way they were going to vote(like a proxy vote)
    hi not done this before so bear with me. Katrina MacNab here to defend myself regarding the flow of accusations - never been one to sit in silence.

We get the papers for a planning meeting usually on the Wednesday or Thursday prior to the planning committee on a Monday. Although we know there is a planning meeting well in advance we have absolutely no idea what is coming up at the meeting until we get the papers. We do not see the detailed plans until the 15 minutes prior to the meeting. We are not allowed a proxy vote because we have to listen to the full arguement before we can make an informed decision based on the evidence and the debate that we have participated in.

When I went on holiday I had no idea that Asda was going to be coming up at that meeting.

I was flying home from my holidays on the day of the meeting. Yes I took my kids out of the school, but due to my husbands work commitments that was the only time we could go and whether you all agree or not I am entitled to a holiday and some quality time with my family. For clarification I paid for the holiday myself out of my salary I get for working, where incidentally I pay more tax than the so called 'wages' I get for being a counillor.

As you are aware the four councillors who agreed with the Asda have put forward along with 4 councillors from the PDET committee an appeal. I would suggest that it would be a good idea to inform the PDET Committee with a short, nice email your support for ASDA on the said location if you are so minded. I would also sugges that you may want to get as many people to do that as possible and the best time to do it would be the week before the meeting so there is a build up of community opinion at the time when they will be discussing it.

Someone may also want to organise to put petition forms in shops that are signed and have addresses of people who support ASDA in the said location. These could be forwarded to the Director of Planning a couple of weeks before the committee so they are also issued to the councillors sitting on PDET.

These are only suggestions.

Councillor Mowatt has also taken quite a slanging, in his defence I would like to say he is a damn good councillor and certainly fights the corner for Caithness. He has been consitstently voted back in by his ward even when he has had opposition.

People were considering going for councillor - I would say go for it, I did it because I was sick fed up that nothing was being done in Pulteney and Wick High. I have been involved in district heating system, Pulteneytown Regeneration Funding, Conservation Funding, Transfer of housing stock, All Weather pitch, upgrade of Rosebank Playing Fields and Airport House to name a few. It is a rewarding job and if it is for you go for it, or the local community council elections coming up. Young blood desperatley needed 'a mouth' is the only thing needed if I can do it anyone can do it.

The downside people think they 'own' you because you are paid 'tax payers money' even although I pay more tax than I get and work damn hard for less tax payers money than people who get tax payers money in the form of benefits and have never worked a day in their life.

They phone you morning, noon and night and expect you to drop everything, that you should know everything, and sort out some impossible situations.

You are rarely thanked, continually miscalled and always judged.

I hope this clears up a few matters, should anyone wish any further information please get in touch.

Last edited by Pepsi; 01-Jul-06 at 10:38.

I would like to congratulate Ms MacNab on her courageous and outspoken response, and on her many constructive suggestions. Some of the accusations made against her were utterly outrageous imo. Good on yer!

Quote Originally Posted by DrSzin
    I would like to congratulate Ms MacNab on her courageous and outspoken response, and on her many constructive suggestions. Some of the accusations made against her were utterly outrageous imo. Good on yer!
    Hear, hear!
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Cool

Aye , on yerself Pepsi

Quote Originally Posted by DrSzin
    Wow I wish all councillors had the guts that Councillor McNab has shown, and have the courage to come on an open forum, and say her peice. Well done Councillor
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Thumbs up

She is a HIBBY

Quote Originally Posted by highlander2222
    She is a HIBBY
    err, what's one of them highlander?

and i agree wih Golach, Pepsi has guts, and i thank her for being big enough to come on here and put across her side
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

But which way would she have voted and if it comes up at the next full council meeting will she indicated how she will vote.

Well this is certainly a hot topic.I find the insults thrown at the councillors a little harsh.It is easy for us to sit back and take a shot at them from the sidelines but they do have a hard task to do.Its a case of damned if they do damned if they dont........I dont see a flood of people stepping forward to contest the councillors since they are doing such a poor job.Yes we voted them in but as has been said we dont own them they are entitled to holidays, sick days, and generally I cant be bothered days the same as the rest of us.Yes, they claim expenses, wouldnt anyone else if they were doing the same job?, we all claim expenses at work when we are entitled to or am I wrong. Do some people realy say no thats okay I will pay for that out of my own pocket, I think not.If the councillors have made such a bad decision then let them know sign petitions write them, join in as many protests as possible maybe the silent majority we hear about should find their voice and speak up.Pepsi I hope you enjoyed your holiday and Billy Mowat you have been a strong voice for us in the past and I am sure you will be in the future you may have missed this meeting but there have been many more where you have truly let your voice be heard keep up the hard work.

unicorn Guest

Well done for coming on and explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by kwbrown111
    Surely they would've have known this vote was coming up and been able to let the commitee know which way they were going to vote(like a proxy vote)
    This was a Planning Hearing the Councillors are not entitled to vote unless they have attended all parts of the Hearing including any site visits.

I'll be interested to see how many of the folk on this forum who are slagging the Councillors stand for election next year. Perhaps they could state their real names on here so we know who has the courage of their convictions.

The Big Man
    The Big Man

the only councillors who will have a vote are the four from caithness who are on the planning commitee. It has been appealed by the Caithness councillors and goes to the planning committee which is made up of councillors from all nine areas. the rest of the councillors in caithness do not have an opportunity.

Hi pepsi, i wasn't criticising you but i am still wondering why this important issue couldn't be postponed until all councillors were available. Just like to congratulate you on coming onto the Org with a response.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast