Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Which trees to plant

Default Which trees to plant

I am the manager of Seaview House care home. I am wanting to plant some trees to the front and rear of the building but have no idea what to plant as we are on the coast and get a lot of wind. I have no idea what is suitable to this environment. I have heard that the rowan tree might be suitable? not sure though.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Wendy

message me or email me at wendy.mcgowan@barchester.com

dogwoods and willows are both good too,we have some for sale if you need some!

A hard choice for your location, any thing above shoulder height is going to get blasted by salty winds from every direction. Willow and Dogwood would provide reliable low shelter. It would be best to be deciduous, beech, hawthorn would make good hedging plants. The Rowan family such as Whitebeam is sucessful in Wick and would make an interesting, tidy, but not too tall tree.

Some of the commercial conifers such as Scots Pine may be ok and provide some reliable taller shelter, but most conifers seem to get messy and 'burnt' when they are bigger. Lodgepole pine is quite sucessful in Keiss especially if kept trimmed as a tall hedging/screening plant.

A while ago I noticed some fuchias growing as a hedge up at the old post office just up the road, worth looking into.

You are really looking at planting in spring next year, Christies Elite in Forres are a good commercial supplier.

We have lots of himalayan and siberian crab apple trees, they are beautiful and full og flowers in spring. They do very well with us

we have found that Hawthorn trees are wonderfull, plus Field Maple cope with the Caithness winters.

Sycamore, Rowan and Willow are doing really well here. We've also got Scots Pine thriving, Field Maple, Hawthorn & Whitebeam. Also got Golden Ash & Balsam Poplar which seem OK. And the 2 Alders are positively flourishing!
    All pretty exposed, about a mile from the sea with a howling north westerly as the prevailing wind. Make sure you guard against rabbits and give them all plenty support. And a bucket of water every day!
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

sea buckthorn, hawthorn, elder, amelanchier, alder, downy birch, beech, willow, oak, myrobalan plum, crab apple and rowan all do fine here.

hi wendy i have a coupleof rowan trees in my garden and they are very hardy would recommend them for the seaview i can also watch them grow x