Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cook Book Bother

It seems that the "Joy of Cooking" is a North American experience. I've really appreciated that book over the years. I also use Betty Crocker. My copy was a gift when I was in High School many, many, many moons ago.

Ricco, concerning the bannock, I have a "Highland" recipe adapted for the Canadian prairie by Selkirk Settlers. What I remember is the repetition of the line "and a sip of rum for the cook." Once I finally get moved in and unpacked I will search it out for you.

Happy cooking squidge.

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims
    Ricco, I thought spelt was a kind of fish. Fish flour? That doesn't sound attractive. 8^)
    No. no - those are smelts.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    Ricco, concerning the bannock, I have a "Highland" recipe adapted for the Canadian prairie by Selkirk Settlers. What I remember is the repetition of the line "and a sip of rum for the cook." Once I finally get moved in and unpacked I will search it out for you.

Happy cooking squidge.
    That would be great, Canuck. I also have a North African cookbook that I picked up at a jumble sale.

i have a really old one that they used to use at the high school years ago. gives old fashioned recipes even has a bit for cleaning and what you should use for spills etc.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

Try Prue Leiths Cookery Bible, everyday recipes and the more exotic, even tells you what wine to serve with each recipe. The only cookery book you'll ever need!

My favourite Cook Book was done by the publishers of the Kama Sutra.Cos' its got the best recipe for souffles that never drop.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

there was a Delia smith cook book in the Wick hospice shop, i dont know if it is still there. the charity shops have some good recipee books, some from years ago and some good old scottish recipees.

Quote Originally Posted by neepnipper
    Try Prue Leiths Cookery Bible, everyday recipes and the more exotic, even tells you what wine to serve with each recipe. The only cookery book you'll ever need!
    forgot i had this one as "her who should be obeyed " has got it round at her workplace
    beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims
    Ricco, I thought spelt was a kind of fish. Fish flour? That doesn't sound attractive. 8^)

Spelt is a type of grain, similar to wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by sassylass
    Spelt is a type of grain, similar to wheat.
    ..and Caithness spelt is probably one of the best!

I recently got "The new classic 1000 recipies" by Wendy Hobson, and it's great. It seems to have all your basic recipies, and I've quite happily teaked them to my own taste.

I would also rate the Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks. Everything I've tried out of them has been delicious!

P.S. orkneylass - your Jamie Oliver book is a hoax.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge
    ...The thing is I now want a new cookbook. I want one i will love as much, whose recipes will stand up to "fiddling with" and whose recipes will become firm favourites. I dont want a book full of recipes with millions of ingredients or odd sorts of things that cost the earth. I also want a book with a good mix of healthy meals for my family and special smart meals for big occasions. I dont do much baking or eat much fish - Robert the Bruce is not one for a nice bit of halibut im afraid. IM happy to spend a good bit and i am looking for recommendations.

What cook books do you love and what would you recommend as my "bible for the naughties"
    Squidge,

The best cookbook I can recommend for what you're asking for (and I have half a bookcase full of them!) is Julia Child's "The Way to Cook". She teaches techniques, and then gives you variations on the basic techniques, and so encourages you to try your own variations cuz you know what you can change without screwing up the basic recipe. It's absolutely brilliant - I wouldn't be without it!

I would also highly recommend both Betty Crocker and Better Homes and Gardens -- have used both for years. I have a weakness for cookbooks but always seem to use these two more than any others. The recipes are really tasty and don't take a lot of effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12