Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Young basking shark in Scrabster harbour

Default Young basking shark in Scrabster harbour

A small basking shark was swimming around off the ferry terminal pier late this afternoon.

Not the best pics as I was on the high road to the lighthouse.
    The Big Man

I saw it while we were waiting to take the gangway off, it passed the end of the pier then turned back round to go back in to the harbour, but by the time i had finished with the ferry and then got my kit off i couldn't see it anywhere
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

It was right in the corner at the ferry terminal watched it for about five mins cruising about feeding. Could see the open mouth. This was at the back of four.
    The Big Man

It was about 6.40pm we saw it!
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Default 6.50pm Ola Pier

Cannot see it anymore, I have been looking every 15 mins

Its the 4th one this year here that we know of.
    Last edited by kas; 12-Jul-10 at 21:05.
    Away with the birds

Watched it for about 15 minutes at 3:15pm. Was a lovely sight. I thought I caught a glimpse at about 8:30pm in the same area but not sure. There was definitely a dark object that broke the surface briefly, like its nose but disappeared again. The tide was pretty far in by then so it will have deeper water to play in so maybe not surfacing as much.

Another one this evening.
    Last seen at the Yacht club slipway about twenty mins ago.
    Away with the birds

It was circling Scrabster Harbour entrance about half six tonight.
    It swam along the old Ola pier about 2 m out.

saw two tonight between 18.10 and 19.00, one off Holborn head and a smaller one off Thurso beach

There was a small one and an adult off of the campsite yesterday afternoon. The small one was still in that area at 7pm.

the basking shark was in between the old ola pier and the new pier tonight 7.30pm lots of mackeral dancing about beside it

back from fishing tonight off dunnet head. adult basking shark passed right under the boat, less than 1 meter under the water.

Default More Basking Sharks

A 20 foot Basking Shark sighted Thurso Bay at 8am this morning by Kas.

A much smaller basking Shark seen at Lybster about 50m from Swiney Hill at 12.17pm. The size was around 3-4m in length.

Lybster Basking Shark Pics.

Note the notch in the dorsal and the tear in the tail fin, this is of value to those that try and track Basking Sharks.

Colin
    Caithness sea watching.

Default At Groats Habour Day

A whopper turned up on queue for the Groats harbour day. Too far out to photograph with my gear but I estimate 30 ft nose to tail. It was obviously in the employ of visit Scotland because it hung around long enough for everyone to get a good view. Only disappeared when the 3 lifeboats and the helicopter started bearing down on it's position

Seabird, I saw no distinguishing marks on tail or dorsal fin through binoculars.
    Last edited by ducati; 26-Jul-10 at 20:02.

i saw two today one was in wick bay and the other was out by the trinkie they were nice to see

The only dorsal feature of the one at Groats seemed to be a small nick in the vertical similar to the one in your pictures seabird. It came quite close in shore but unfortunately there were so many people trying to get a glimpse and had an impatient young man with me so did not get a really good look.
    Did any one else see them or did I imagine 3 Rissos Dolphins over towards the far eastern end of the sweep to the east of the harbour wall?
    The time was aproximately 13.15 when they caught my eye.
    Last edited by Kenn; 26-Jul-10 at 22:44.

They seem to be a daily occurence in Thurso Bay right now. 2 medium sized ones over at Thurso beach this evening and one at Scabster ( could have the ones from Thurso earlier), massive one at Scrabster last night.
    Away with the birds