Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Tatties and garlic

Default Tatties and garlic

I'm not vain enough to post in the farming and crofting part lol

I'm just starting out and have planted tatties, neeps, carrots, cabbage, garlic and onions and all seem to be growing well

I had some seed potatoes and garlic left over with nowhere to put it so just popped it in last year's muck heap and ignored it - well this is the one that is doing the best! Flowering already and already a few small 'fruits'.

Guess what we're having tonight for tea...

I'm going to pop the tatties garlic and some rosemary in a roasting tin and make them all nice and crispy to be served with local farm sausages. All local produce apart from the olive oil...
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

well done leanne! looks lovely!!

First time for me too. Hope mine turn out as good as yours look!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

That's a very striking purple garlic! Do you know what variety it is? Ours are just boring white ones (Roja and Solent Wight), won't be ready for a few weeks yet, but they store really well (still using last years stored Solent Wight, think we might have gone a bit mental with the amount we planted! )
    I like funny coloured veg!

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Hogfather View Post
    That's a very striking purple garlic! Do you know what variety it is? Ours are just boring white ones (Roja and Solent Wight), won't be ready for a few weeks yet, but they store really well (still using last years stored Solent Wight, think we might have gone a bit mental with the amount we planted!
    I like funny coloured veg!
    The garlic is common garden "sprouting at the back of your fridge"type and the tatties are roosters and charlotte.

well done, they look great. I can do tatties but when did you know to harvest the garlic? thanks
    lydia

tradition says u plant garlic on the shortest day and harvest it in the longest day.

Quote Originally Posted by puffin croft View Post
    tradition says u plant garlic on the shortest day and harvest it in the longest day.
    Or poke in the soil to see if it's fat enough yet. It's very nearly ready...

Default garlic

cool, might give it a try.i find growing plants etc can be very rewarding :-)