Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Asda

Why not write direct to ASDA ?? .. Let them see that the people in that area WANT an ASDA and let them take it further, after all I am sure they can muster a bit more legal clout than an individual.

And I sincerely hope that these self serving individuals get the boot at the next council elections.
    Love Many .. Trust a Few .. Always Paddle your Own Canoe.

Angry

Strange that Mr Smith was so in favour of Tesco, yet votes against Asda.

Well, as a few have already said, it's election time in 2007, we can get our own back.

Donny Mackay?? My esteemed member of the Highland Council? BYE BYE!

The Loafer
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz

Default ASDA Lose out

It is interesting that the chairman G Smith fully supported TESCO for Wick what is in it for him - He votes twice to stop competion to TESCO.
    There is no consistence from the planning committee the Chairman seems to ride roughshod over any thing he opposes. Wind farms he supports and now a decent supermarket for Thurso that he opposes what price demorcracy. Where do we go to from here will he oppose the Tulloch development or will he not.
    So much for the Thurso people who cannot afford a round trip to Wick for shopping or others from the west. Will we be like Inverness dominated by Tesco as it puts others out of Business will they be given permission if they apply to put a store in Thurso.

I don't understand, having Asda here would create jobs which is going to be much needed when Dounreay closes, there would be cheaper fuel for motorists and a wider variety of affordable products for the shoppers and yet the councillors voted against this?
    I reckon we should all sign a petition and, as suggested earlier on in this thread we should send our signed petition to Asda directly so they can use it in their appeal.

its a bit of a scunner but they could appeal. was hoping for cheaper shopping and especially the clothes. kids clothes up here is so expensive and very limited in sizes.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

When Tesco opens in Wick I doubt I'll have any reason to shop in Thurso again. Wick will have everything in one stop.

A well, Thurso was convenient but things move on. Thurso will be a pleasant quiet village by 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by obiron
    its a bit of a scunner but they could appeal. was hoping for cheaper shopping and especially the clothes. kids clothes up here is so expensive and very limited in sizes.
    Yeah, I feel we have been cheated, a better range of affordable kids cloths would have been ideal for us as well, what are those councillers thinking! All they seemed to be worried about is squeezing every last penny outa taxpayers! its not good enough!! these lot will have to go before they have us living back in the thirties.
    Isn't it strange how Inverness is getting millions for revamping their city centre and yet Caithness can't even keep the roads we have in a decent state of repair, we are being told that we may have to pay MORE for council services yet when something good comes along, like a chance of having an Asdas we are let down by them...PATHETIC...rant over.

Default Asda

I have e-mailed Tom Jackson asking him to read this thread and post a reply explaining his desicion. Will he do it??? Probably not. We shall wait and see

unicorn Guest

So how do we go about setting up an online petition to show support for Asda someone here must be able to do it.

On the BBC website it says:-
    Rob Gibson, SNP MSP for Highlands and Islands, praised the committee.
    He said: "Supermarket expansion has to meet very strict criteria to protect the local economy."

I fail to see how blocking ASDA has protected the local economy of Thurso; there will probably be a mass exodus of shoppers heading OUT of Thurso to Wick to visit Tescos. A half hour drive is not going to deter shoppers enough to make them stay and spend their hard earned pennies in Thurso. If ASDA was built, at least it would keep the shoppers in the Thurso area where they may well frequent the smaller local shops. Also, if ASDA was built there would be competition and that tends to be good for the consumer.

I can appreciate the concerns of the residents nearby, but I am sure with close consultation and liaison with ASDA, their lives would not be disrupted too much, safeguards can be built in to the planning permission.

If you want a look at an aerial photo of the proposed site rather than the photo copy in the Highland Council Planning Document, have a butchers at
    http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...style=a&lvl=17

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn
    So how do we go about setting up an online petition to show support for Asda someone here must be able to do it.
    Don't know, I was hoping that someone who knows more about computors would come up with an idea.

Angry Politics....grrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Royster1911
    I have e-mailed Tom Jackson asking him to read this thread and post a reply explaining his desicion. Will he do it??? Probably not. We shall wait and see
    I wonder if any councillors will come on this website to show why they voted the way they did?

I for one am livid. I thought the ASDA was all set to go just the same as Tesco. Tescos' monopoly really winds me up. Wonder if public opinion will change their minds.??...wonder if ASDA will reapply for planning permission??
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Quote Originally Posted by clash67
    Don't know, I was hoping that someone who knows more about computors would come up with an idea.
    just going to sort one out

that is a decision i did not expect
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Just been looking at the addresses of the complainees; there appears to be multiple letters from the same households, albeit different family members. This certainly brings down the "AGAINST" numbers and it doesn't take a super sleuth to realise someone has relatives down the line a bit who have also objected.

ok petition done, hope it is to your approval

http://www.petitiononline.com/asda/petition.html
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Angry Gutted

I am gutted. I couldnt believe it when I heard.

Although BBC news have reported that they are considering an appeal, so fingers crossed they do.

If they do appeal I would strongly urge all of us in favour to write a small letter to the Highland Council, showing our support for the supermarket. It doesnt have to be long, just a few words to say that you would like to see Asda in the town.

Its a shame Asda didnt do what Tescos did, and send out letters to the whole of the county asking if they would support the supermarket. I gather Tescos had a good response when they did this.

PS Thanks Bill for your YES vote. Hopefully this is just a wee hitch.

It is a huge pity ASDA did not get permission. Without them up here, you might as well drop Caithness and rename the county Tesco...... Inverness is already Tesco town, so maybe the whole highlands should just Tescolands... Competition is healthy and benefits all.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

I have also added a link to the petition on the home page of my 'tugmistress' site, you have the url now folks, now get signing and spreading the word !
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Well done Tugmistress, my partner and I have both signed.

thanks clash

only live 13 minutes and 9 sigs already ... keep going folks!
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast