Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Asda

I have put the names of the people you need to contact on a separate thread called Planning and Development Counillors.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict
    Now if they did that in Caithness would they really have a new town called Thick?
    Yup. And the council could create more new towns for those who wish to escape ASDA and Tesco. Moby would have a whale of time in the one between Dunnet and Wick.

If anybody wishes to email ASDA to give them some ammunition and encouragement to fight the ridiculous excuses used to block them coming to Caithness they can contact them via:-

http://www.asda-press.co.uk/contact

We all know the real reasons behind the decision, which have little to do with the excuses invented for the refusal, and I would think such information from individuals would give ASDA help in getting the decision overturned.

We have been here before when almost the same excuses were used in an attempt to block Tesco and Public Opinion managed to stop that piece of nonsense.
    With a bit of effort the same can be done again with ASDA.
    Again, itis trime for the people of Caithness to let the selfish, self-serving few that walking all over the rest of people in Caithness is at an end.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Default Re Asda Who To Contact Planning

been told to delete
    Last edited by bigpete; 03-Jul-06 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSzin
    Moby would have a whale of time in the one between Dunnet and Wick.
    Dunck?..........

...Winnet....

...Duck......

I actually would like to see Asda in Thurso- but I'd like it even more if they built it on the site of the mart- right next to the rail link. That would be nice and ethical- no lorries cluttering up the place. It's a brownfield site- so no cause for objections.

Perhaps they could get their voiceover lady- local celeb Aline Mowat to open it?

Just think- it sells cheap school uniforms, so any pupil not appearing in THS dress code could be swiftly directed to a purveyor of black trousers, white shirt and sensible lace up shoes.
    Bagpuss

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss
    I actually would like to see Asda in Thurso- but I'd like it even more if they built it on the site of the mart- right next to the rail link. That would be nice and ethical- no lorries cluttering up the place. It's a brownfield site- so no cause for objections.

Perhaps they could get their voiceover lady- local celeb Aline Mowat to open it?

Just think- it sells cheap school uniforms, so any pupil not appearing in THS dress code could be swiftly directed to a purveyor of black trousers, white shirt and sensible lace up shoes.
    You can't put it there, it might spoil somebody's pretty view and all those noisy shoppers disturbing the students at the College, how will they be able to concentrate with all the deliveries besides, it would be better earmarked as a recreational area and bring some green belt into the town itself instead of there being just another field next to all the other fields on the edge of town.
    I think the site would be far better turned into a Town Centre Green Lung for those who are deprived of a nice Sea View and only have other buildings spoiling there view.

Besides, a Supermarket will only attract the students from the College and nearby Schools to go there and stuff themselves with Junk Food to the detriment of those businesses who are doing exactly the same in the Town Centre.
    And all those extra noisy goods trains would disturb the whole neighbourhood with their rattling and banging of doors all day and night!

Sorry, I can't think of anymore pathetic excuses unless somebody can come up with some far fetched Plan for Caithness which is only called into practice when a convenient excuse is needed.

Look at the towns between Aberdeen and Inverness- they seem to be getting a new Tesco and a new Asda- in the same town-but only on the outskirts-the ring roads.

The big objection appears to be coming from those people who've bought some nice expensive houses with a sea view- which will disappear if they get a view of a supermarket with car parking facilities.

Note there was far less opposition to Tesco in Wick? And Homebase etc.-these were out of town- and I mean out of town developments. Perhaps siting Asda on the A9- just outside Thurso might clinch it.

One thing I found out. One wee town with the 2 big guys used to be pretty much run by a bunch of shopkeepers whose businesses slid down and down. however, they sat on their property holdings until the increased retail spend- and the need for folk to commute further and further into Aberdeen shot the price of a flat way up- and then all their wee shoppies turned into nice little starter homes. The same thing is happening in Wick- the joiners are in the former Boots building on Bridge Street- and the developers are buying up anything that looks as if it might turn into a flat. A friend who found herself priced out of the rental market looked at a dilapidated cottage the other day. Three years ago, homes like that went fot pennies- she was looking at offers over £35k for the cottage- with a need to spend £50k to bring it up to spec- and there are nine offers on the table- all almost twice the asking price. Get it?
    Bagpuss

Default Asda Where Are The Petition Signers Now?

Apathetic? Pathetic? what word am I searching for?
    On Wednesday next, Highland Council will finally decide on whether ASDA comes to Thurso.
    At the time of initial refusal a petition was started on Caithness.org. and there are now some 2,929 signatures on the ASDA debate - these will count as just ONE objection.

By the amount of virulent utterances on that petition we would be led to believe that a vast majority of those who took the trouble to input their name and post code would be pretty certain to show their support if given the chance.
    That chance was given, Caithness.org has continually published contact names and addresses on who to contact to register their support.

And yet in spite of all the hot air and empty statements a mere fraction of us got off our backsides and sent in their support:

73 individual letters of representation in support of the proposals,
    a letter of “overwhelming” support for the application from the Thurso Community Council,
    a petition with 13 signatures in support of the proposals and
    200 pro-forma representations (179 – in support, 21 against and 1 undecided).
    The original 71 Objections from the June meeting still stand..

Oh well 265 folk did their bit - wonder where the remaining TWO THOUSAND AND SIXTY FOUR are?

So what's the word I'm looking for?

are they not counting support done by e-mail

unicorn Guest

i emailed my support also. is it not counting?

Well i for 1 put my letter of support for asda to the council.
    There is still time for a few more letters to be brought to there attention.
    Heres hoping all goes well

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss View Post
    Look at the towns between Aberdeen and Inverness- they seem to be getting a new Tesco and a new Asda- in the same town-but only on the outskirts-the ring roads.

The big objection appears to be coming from those people who've bought some nice expensive houses with a sea view- which will disappear if they get a view of a supermarket with car parking facilities.

Note there was far less opposition to Tesco in Wick? And Homebase etc.-these were out of town- and I mean out of town developments. Perhaps siting Asda on the A9- just outside Thurso might clinch it.
    Didn't the same Planning Department turn down an objection by an individual claiming their view would be spoilt by somebody building a nearby house on the grounds that a "View" was not part of the considerations for Planning Permission"?

Strange how Fixed Rules conveniently "appear" and "disappear" on a whim yet ideas which are obviously meant to be guidelines are quoted as if they were set in stone for all eternity when it is convenient to do so.

Default Chillin' For Asda

"Oh well 265 folk did their bit - wonder where the remaining TWO THOUSAND AND SIXTY FOUR are?

So what's the word I'm looking for?" (Dictionary?)

As one of those reprehensible, parasitical 2064 who failed to rally my MP/MSP/MEP/Babysitter/the Planning Dept/Tony Blair/George Bush et al, I would like to say I'm layin' back waiting for the inevitable.

If you think it ain't comin you must be a councillor or one of those people in the quoted "nice expensive houses" on the estate overlooking the fields.

Mart/Pennyland/Anyland it's a comin!!!!

Victor Vendetta:"Oh well 265 folk did their bit - wonder where the remaining TWO THOUSAND AND SIXTY FOUR are? So what's the word I'm looking for?" (Dictionary?) As one of those reprehensible, parasitical 2064 who failed to rally my MP/MSP/MEP/Babysitter/the Planning Dept/Tony Blair/George Bush et al, I would like to say I'm layin' back waiting for the inevitable. If you think it ain't comin you must be a councillor or one of those people in the quoted "nice expensive houses" on the estate overlooking the fields. Mart/Pennyland/Anyland it's a comin!!!!

Hi Victor
    What are you on about? I've not called anyone ' reprehensible, parasitical ', it was just a passing thought that there is one hell of a lot of hot air around.. Not sure if you've read the latest bumph which has gone to the Councillors, but new laws have come in during the period that it was initially refused.. presume you've not read the 'bit' about the mart?

It's just that our wonderful, marvellous representatives need to know what their punters are thinking. You might think 'well it must be blinking obvious', but I actually (I tell no lie) had a dissenting councillor ring me up and who said he was "unaware of the strength of feeling" ref ASDA!
    No I'm not one of these pain in the bum protesters or rally my MEP etc, just feel a simple letter to the Planning Officer would not be too much effort, and then I too could lay back.....

Default It hasta be Asda

No offence intended just a bit of tongue in cheek, I'll take it further out my cheek next time.

I don't care about the councillors who weren't aware (although I think that is someone who got a wee fright and is backtracking).

You are right I haven't read the article about any legislation etc etc but I do genuinely feel the ball is rolling far too fast to be stopped by anybody now.

With regards to councillors I was at a meeting recently as part of a group which included 2 of our 3 Thurso councillors and they don't impress me at all, the third one I worked with a number of years ago and the expression chocolate fireguard springs to mind.

Sorry I've gone a bit off message here better start another thread regarding the great job our much maligned councillors do.

No more carping from the sidelines, thats my job!

Hi Victor

Re Councillors, there are a couple of good ones and there's one prat who tells me he's passing an email of mine to his Solicitor, be interesting to see what happens there, I'll post his comments when (and if) they come in..
    I think, like you, that ASDA is BIG (Especially with the muscle of their American bosses) with plenty of money (for appeals etc).
    It's like Tesco in (I think) Milton Keynes where the powers to be did not want the store, so they built over a railway line - thing collapsed - but shows the power they have.

I'm 'out west' and look forward to the day when I can drive into Town and fill up on reasonable priced fuel, and buy my groceries at a reasonable cost and not have to wait for certain shops to open after lunch!

Oh well we'll see what happens in a couple of days - I seem to think that if it is approved, it means it's against the 'Local Plan' and has to ratified by those down in Edinburgh, so be quite a while tootling back and forth to Wick.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314