Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Asda

Angry Asda

So our illustrious Thurso councillors turned down the planning permission. I hope everyone remembers to kick them out next time they're looking for election. I for one will be watching with interest they're reasons for it. i have my own opinion but i would get put in orger jail if i said it

Quote Originally Posted by kwbrown111
    So our illustrious Thurso councillors turned down the planning permission. I hope everyone remembers to kick them out next time they're looking for election. I for one will be watching with interest they're reasons for it. i have my own opinion but i would get put in orger jail if i said it
    No Way!! I thought that was a done deal! I will also be very interested as to why they turned down the planning permission! What a disgrace!! I am really so frustrated by the way caithness is being run, to many "dirty deals done cheap"!!!

Default Asda

How did they manage to only receive 1 letter of support and 72!!!! letters of objection.

Quote Originally Posted by kwbrown111
    is this true ???

Well you know who to blame for not getting a Asda. Does the councilors actually listen to the people of the county, or do they do whats best for themselves. As for only one vote to approve...... seems very fishy, if its true then its the thurso folk to blame, you should now all be writing letters to the councillors and tell them what a huge mistake they have made. If its left alone then they will just do it again when the next big thing arrives.

Very sad day for Thurso im in Wick but it is still a shame, democracy just took a nose dive.

[quote=robin170491]How did they manage to only receive 1 letter of support and 72!!!! letters of objection.[/quo

People only tend to go out of their way to write a letter when they are opposed to something, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the ones who objected, due to a loss of view, do their shopping in tesco in Wick when it arrives.

Was the Wick councillor, who used his casting vote to have the planning permission turned down, worried that some of the trade might just go to Thurso instead of Wick getting it all.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Casting vote went to the same counciller (who voted against it) who was all in favour for Tescos
    Last edited by Praetorian; 26-Jun-06 at 16:35.
    PRAETORIAN

If you go to the link mentioned on the home page it names the objectors at the end. Shame really I was so looking forward to shopping there

Default Asda

There must be something wrong somewhere,because my wife and i both wrote letters of support .So that makes two letters for the project to start with .I would not like to think that the Asda Petrol Station had the Local Petrol Mafia up to no good . Maybe a vote of No confidence in the Council through the local paper would see the right people get the job and do what the votes want ...
    Last edited by dozy; 26-Jun-06 at 16:46.

There are local council elections next year: if you don't like what your local representatives are doing, then vote them out! Or organise a pro-ASDA campaign, and put up candidates against the ones you don't like. Note that half of Caithness's ten councillors were "elected" unopposed at the last election. That's not much of a democracy in my book. But you can't complain if no-one stands against them.

Default Asda

Well Mr Tom Jackson, con YOU explain to the people in your ward as to why you voted against Asda? I know you read the forum boards, so what better way of explaining yourself. When did you consult with your ward to find out what the people wanted rather than what you did not want. Pack your bags Tom. Your a gonner

Quote Originally Posted by Royster1911
    Well Mr Tom Jackson, con YOU explain to the people in your ward as to why you voted against Asda? I know you read the forum boards, so what better way of explaining yourself. When did you consult with your ward to find out what the people wanted rather than what you did not want. Pack your bags Tom. Your a gonner
    Tom Jackson was "elected" unopposed last time. You know what you have to do.

Look at the addresses of the objectors. Look at the postcodes if you don't know the area - roughly 90% of them live within a (few) hundred yards of the proposed ASDA. That little lot take NIMBYism to a new level!
    Last edited by DrSzin; 26-Jun-06 at 19:37. Reason: Removed typo

Supermarket giant Asda's plan to build a store on the outskirts of Thurso has been rejected by councillors.

Highland Council officials had recommended that the area's planning committee approve outline consent.

Asda's application was refused on the casting vote of the committee chairman and a company spokesman said the chain was considering an appeal.

Seventy-one objectors had called for the proposed site to be retained as the Caithness town's green belt.

A greenfield site on the north west fringe of Thurso was earmarked for a 2,896 sq metre store and petrol station.

Planning officials had recommended that the committee give the plan outline planning consent.

'Strict criteria'

However, on Monday, committee members rejected the application on the casting vote of chairman Graeme Smith.

Asda spokesman George Backovic said he was disappointed with the decision and said the main losers would be local shoppers and motorists.

Rob Gibson, SNP MSP for Highlands and Islands, praised the committee.

He said: "Supermarket expansion has to meet very strict criteria to protect the local economy."

Asda also has plans to build a store in Inverness

A backward step by our backward councillors.

When talk of retail parks and tescos to wick starts, the locals embrace the notion. Thurso always seems to do the opposite.

Default Asda

My GOD it's a blue noon day .Councillers siding with the objectors and against Asda all because they will lose their view .A view that they have No title to ,but the Council spit in the face of objectors and support the wind factories that Destroy the landscape for all ....The whole thing STINKS .....WE'LL REMEMBER THIS NEXT TIME YOU COUNCILLERS COME BEGGING FOR VOTES .....SHAME ON YOU ..
    Last edited by dozy; 26-Jun-06 at 17:21.

few eric pollards in our mist i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop
    Seventy-one objectors had called for the proposed site to be retained as the Caithness town's green belt.

A greenfield site on the north west fringe of Thurso was earmarked for a 2,896 sq metre store and petrol station.

Planning officials had recommended that the committee give the plan outline planning consent.
    Why use a green field site? It does seem a shame to spoil a view (that would put it somewhere in the direction of the Scrabtser road, wouldn't it?). I remember a huge area of waste ground to the South East of Thurso juts near the castle. Why not build it there? It would be a more viable site, it would place it on a major road south-east towards Wick, it would place it near one of the largest housing estates around Thurso and it would make use of an ugly tract of land.

Also, maybe Adsa and the National Lottery could be milked for some money to 'do up' the castle. I know, I know... you're going to tell me that it has already been built on in my absence.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

I think we should vote them out at the next election (May 2007) show them firmly what the people want and not only the four councillors who voted it down, the two who didn't bother to turn up for the vote!

In fairness tho' we could have all written in support - I for one didn't know you could or should do this, I thought letters were just for objections in cases like this.

Lets all write to ASDA and ask them to reapply!

Angry

its a really sad day for people like that to turn something like that down as it bring more employment into thurso but it seems there not seeing it that way?they must have there reason and us moaning about wont help its a real shame tho? lord thurso go jump of a cliff.

Democracy at work – these are your elected representatives. Hold them accountable.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast