Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Wick Academy Development Fund

I notice that there was a case of charity fraud heard in the Sheriff Court the other day. People selling tickets without banking all the money. But how can we ensure that the good-cause money we donate (or money for the tickets we buy) actually makes it as far as the charity account. I mean, what's to stop a collector or middleman retaining a portion of the income for their trouble? If we don't win a prize, how do we know that our ticket even made it to the draw?

In this case the perps set out with good intentions but suffered a 'glitch' in their circumstances, these things happen I suppose. But I note that after they got captured they pled guilty and the cash that was whipped was repaid to the charity concerned. The community can be happy that trust is restored.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

{From WADF Post #2 page 15}

18)
    The gross income of W.A.D.F. up to our accounting date of the 31st of May 2009 was £260,886.34. This sum was raised almost entirely by the sale of our A-T Lucky Letters lottery tickets and the investment account bank interest that was earned from that.

Let's call it £250 000 taken in from tickets, the remaining £10 886 we'll assume pessimistically was interest.
    250 000 divided by 9 years = 27778 tickets per year. Divide by 52 weeks, that gives 534 tickets sold per week, averaged across the whole 9 years. We know sales dropped off in the last few years so let's call it 600 tickets per week sold in the good years. 20 sellers shifting 30 tickets each per week would make that.
    We had heard stories about what a tremendous effort was made, and how the money was just pouring in. But now we look, it seems like a pretty average effort. I've heard of other footie fundraisers in the area maintaining £500 per week without all the hoo-hah.

19)
    W.A.D.F. has probably sold more A-T Lucky Letters lottery tickets beyond our locality than within it. Many of our regular ticket purchasers worked offshore and knew little or nothing about Wick but were still happy to buy tickets and have a flutter whilst also supporting our aims.

Yes, we've heard about the great offshore network, and how many people contributed willingly and regularly. As for ticket sales being more popular with people who knew little or nothing of Wick: That may well be true, but why were locals unwilling to buy?

23)
    The net income of W.A.D.F. i.e. the amount of cash in our bank accounts was £132,459.96 as of the 31st of May 2009. This sum easily exceeds that which was originally required as pre-funding capital for the originally planned project.

So why has nothing at all happened?
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 27-Jan-11 at 18:24. Reason: Revised to show average over 9 years

Me and a mate who is wise in the ways of associations, clubs and charity stuff went through the WADF Constitution with a fine toothcomb and a bottle of Old Pultney the other night, and couldn't see anything that prevents money being donated from the Fund to a suitable organisation, providing it is for activities in line with their stated objective, viz:

"The objects of the Fund shall be to promote for the benefit of the inhabitants of Wick and its environs without distinction of sex, sexuality, political, religious or other opinions by associating with the local statutory authorities, voluntary organisations and inhabitants in a common effort to advance education and to provide facilities, or assist in the provision of facilities , in the interest of social welfare for recreation and other leisure - time occupation so that their conditions of life may be improved."

We can see no reason why money could not be offered to WAFC to assist in building or improving a facility. No reason why the WADF couldn't have shelled out to support the Pultneytown multi-purpose facility. No reason why the only consideration has to be the Wick High School project. No reason why a First-Aid kit couldn't have been bought for the bairn's team that asked. (In the last case I would have been so embarrassed to refuse, I would have paid for one out my own pocket!)

No reason other than the pig-headed arrogance of the committee. (At least on the part of the honorary officer who always tells the others what to do!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    (At least on the part of the honorary officer who always tells the others what to do!)
    I almost never noticed this Honourable gentlemen the other day as he was driven past in his shiny new car at Tesco. I wonder if he won it in a raffle ? :-)

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...724#post814724

Is anyone thinking what I am thinking when they read this thread ??????

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...724#post814724

Is anyone thinking what I am thinking when they read this thread ??????
    I'm thinking a development fund......for a sporting facility...... has nobody thought of this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I'm thinking a development fund......for a sporting facility...... has nobody thought of this before?
    Thats such a good idea now is there one of these in this area or should we look into setting one up to promote sports in Caithness

That's a good idea. We can call it Want A Decent Facility (WADF). The existing WADF might get shirty, but bearing in mind they've been using Wick Academy's name for near ten years, I don't think they're in a position to criticise. And they tell fibs as well.

So shall we set out to be a proper charity? That way we can go on a real ego trip, make grandiose 'official' pronouncements, kick Honorary Members out if they don't agree with us. Travel thousands of miles (achieving nothing) but still demand respect.

Or should we just settle for doing our bit for the community, quietly and conscientiously?

Quote Originally Posted by Droopy View Post
    Now everybody...could I suggest a Xmas white flag, (think France 1914!... You never know what New Year resolutions some people might make if there cut a bit of slack over the holidays while they've had time to reflect over a mulled wine and a mince pie! Seasons greetings and good will to all.
    Hey Droopy, what about the New Year resolutions? That's a month into 2011 and they've not said a word.

Also, I suspect that Mr Carter hasn't resigned yet. As someone said, dishonourable men don't give up easy, how can we persuade the OSCR that we don't want a fibber running a charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    We can call it Want A Decent Facility (WADF).
    It's been said already that other organisations in the area could have done with some financial assistance, so how about We Are Donating Funds (WADF)?

Liked that one Gollach
    Received an email from OSCR this morning and thought YES
    but NO it was their quarterly report on what is happening at OSCR.
    They have a new chairperson the Reverend Dr Graham Forbes CBE, he may get the mechanism working quicker so we should expect the answers to our questions shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    Sorry are you wanting us to nominate WADF the current organisation that are having a little trouble raising more funds due to 'troublemakers'

It was this bit that caught my attention;

"Is there something your group needs to buy or a project you hope to complete?"

Good offer I thought...

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    It was this bit that caught my attention;

"Is there something your group needs to buy or a project you hope to complete?"

Good offer I thought...
    You could be on to something there.

Selling raffles for one of my good causes this week, I noticed that every ticket has a unique number, which I believe is standard practice, required for the Council license to run a small lottery. But I could be wrong.

However, the WADF's tickets did not seem to have numbers at all, which must have made it hard to work out how many tickets they sold each week and who the winners were. As Mr 'Honest Guv' Carter & Co. don't seem to be speaking to me any more, I wonder if anyone else knows why they did that?
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 09-Feb-11 at 18:07.

The WADF's AGM is usually held in May. I hope the OSCR's investigation concludes soon so we can all get our memberships sorted out and get along to vote for committee members of this charity. Remember that membership is supposed to be 'open to any individual aged 18 or over who actively supports the aims and objects of the Fund and to any group or body which actively supports the aims and objects of the Fund'.

However, looking at the Objects of the Fund I wonder how the current committee can say they themselves 'actively support' the very aims and objects the Fund was set up to pursue: 'to promote for the benefit of the inhabitants of Wick and its environs without distinction of sex, sexuality, political , religious or other opinions by associating with the local statutory authorities, voluntary organisations and inhabitants in a common effort to advance education and to provide facilities, or assist in the provision of facilities , in the interest of social welfare for recreation and other leisure - time occupation so that their conditions of life may be improved'.

• I have 'other opinions', yet they have barred me from joining.
    • They, through their intransigence and secrecy, have actively prevented the money we donated from being used to advance education, provide facilities etc
    • By refusing to allow free membership and committee elections, they are preventing progress towards the aims & objects
    • As no-one trusts the the current chairman and secretary (because they harass people and lie) the Fund cannot progress, yet they will not step aside
    • They haven't had any meaningful interaction with authorities, voluntary organisations or inhabitants

I think they're 'actively preventing' progress! What will it take to wrest our money away from these people?

Also, I hope that the issue hasn't been forgotten because of protest movements in the Middle East, where they're trying to overcome secrecy and self-interest. Affairs in our own East are in need of attention as well!
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 17-Feb-11 at 17:39.

I'm becoming ever more fascinated by Mr Carter's claims (see pages 14 & 15). Particularly the part about how WADF saved a club from extinction as they'd got themselves into a bit of a pickle. As I've pointed out before, any pickle the club was in must have been because of Gunn and Carter, as they were the power behind the secretive running of a club which appeared well supported, with a strong fan base and good potential for fundraising. But was failing in football and cash terms.

Gunn & Carter were repeatedly re-elected as chairman and secretary in fair and open elections despite no members in the club admitting to wanting them in charge. Note that the 'free and open' elections included proxy votes -some of them apparently cast on behalf of people who had never joined Wick Academy and had no idea their names were being used!

And once Gunn & Carter were finally hoofed out, the club did indeed find that it was in dire financial straits, with only something like £7 in the bank! So, one has to ask, how could the Chair & Secretary of WADF manage to get away with transferring what must have been a substantial amount of the club's money away from the club?

But just to finish off, here's a little quiz:
    20 offshore guys sell 100 tickets per week at £1 each (they're offered a 20% cut, but choose not to take it), 30 onshore people sell 50 tickets a week each at £1 a go, and a number of shops and clubs in Wick sell 200 tickets per week between them.
    a) How much money comes in per week?
    b) How much comes in per year?
    c) How much interest would come in at 4% pa?
    d) How many new cars could be bought with the total income?
    e) What capacity stadium could be bought with 50% of the income from 10 years?

Please post your answers here, don't be afraid. The hysterical antics of our chums in the WADF are slowly becoming clearer.

My, they must have had a right old laugh at our expense!
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 23-Feb-11 at 00:15.

Gosh Tubthumper your making it sound like a massive fraud. Surely never?

Fraud? Perish the thought Gleeber!

I'm just pondering on 10 remarkable years of a sporting group raising funds on our behalf! And thinking of who else might like to join us in our idle meanderings...