Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Wick Academy Development Fund

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    It sure is!

The TRUTH will out indeed!
    Truth from the WADF chairman NO CHANCE going by his track record when he was Chairman of Wick Acd FC before he got Booted out .
    Last edited by bridgeend; 13-Aug-10 at 11:58.

It's occurred to me that this whole sorry affair could put people off getting involved with fundraising or being a trustee for any charity.

Please, rather than backing off from any donation, commitment, charity role or trusteeship, just make sure that the cause you're interested in is open and straight in its dealings with the public, has no secret committees or agendas, that the books are open to examination (without having to pay and then wait until it's convenient for the 'committee'), and that there are clear objectives which are actively being pursued.

And don't let anyone bully you if you DO get involved!
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 11-Aug-10 at 17:07. Reason: it's to its, AND spelling!
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Default Wadf

Yes Tubthumper - many folk have already discovered how much work it is being on committees, the work and responsiblities, having to be police checked to be for some committees and groups.

It is not an easy job volunteering but if you do everything by the book, be transparent and above board with all actions it also helps the committee to work smoothly.

Hope a nice big pile of paperowrk from WADF is in the post for you in the morning, if it is not think the time for OSCR to be advised they are not abiding by the rules and for OSCR to start asking questions and getting answers for you.

Is the time not fast approaching when the Police should be asked to become involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Guy View Post
    Is the time not fast approaching when the Police should be asked to become involved?
    At the moment, all that we've got are a group of people (identities largely unknown) who have collected a lot of money from people all over the North of Scotland for ten years or more, on the pretext that they would build a sports complex for Wick. Which they obviously haven't done.

And since no-one has seen a planning application, and various agencies don't seem to have heard anything from the group, it seems that they haven't been doing what they said they would do when they (a) collected the money and (b) registered their cause as a charity.

Getting the police involved will be down to the OSCR, if they decide a law has been broken. They are interested in what the WADF have been doing (or not) and are aware of this thread. They have a service expectation but they appreciate that charities have different abilities to respond and try to take account of these.

However, judgement is not made based solely on a ticking clock. As the WADF have been investigated previously AND don't seem to have learned anything (except how to treat the OSCR with the same contempt they treat the rest of us) AND as they are (probably) not acting in accordance with their governing document AND as they have a significant fund at their disposal AND as they have trustees with time to commit AND they are aware of their community's fury and outrage but have done nothing to assuage it, I would imagine that the OSCR will be onto this swiftly, otherwise their role and ability to deal with errant charities will be questioned by us and our elected representatives.

An e-mail, via the OSCR's online complaints process, directed to the lady who is the designated case worker is all it will take. And even if the documents arrive today, 'general' complaints about the WADF's behaviour can be raised by any member of the public who wishes to see further or faster action, when the time is appropriate.

What will be interesting is when the accounts and constitution finally arrive and we decide what we wish to do next (Demand that WADF have a public meeting? Have a public meeting for them? Get the WADF wound up and the funds transferred to a proper charity? Replace the trustees? or whatever).

I feel your frustration. I sense that our community feels betrayed and humiliated. I hope that our representatives and the official bodies can see that.

This thread is like a cannon; balled, wadded and fused, with the flame hovering close by and with a bloody great BANG just about to happen! Har har har.

[By the way, we're just about to break the 20 000 views barrier - how's THAT for a community web forum!]
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 12-Aug-10 at 10:47.

Default Wadf

Well said Tubthumper - you have the community behind you in everything you are doing to unveil and uncover this "committee" who have ignored the wishes of the folk from whom they raised the monies, keep up the good works.

Obviously nothing in this mornings post either.

No post yet (probably lost in the fog!) but will advise when it arrives.

(Re my 'cannon' metaphor - remember it could be a damp squib!)

Post's been, nothing from WADF. They're obviously holding off as long as possible, thinking that's OK and within the rules. Oh dear.

I'm getting a bit annoyed now. I can be a bit tetchy when I'm annoyed...

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    Can you be tetchy and annoyed and clear your inbox as the shy folk who are trying to contact you rather than posting on the forum may not be able too...............

You are either a very popular person with lots of people p'ming you or very lazy and not emptying your pms..........................I wonder which one that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    You are either a very popular person with lots of people p'ming you or very lazy and not emptying your pms..........................I wonder which one that is?
    Sorry, sorry, sorry!! Box cleared (again!)

Appreciate people wishing to keep info off the public boards, but please bear with me. I'm only an amateur (and a nerse as well!)

Talking

Sorry, sorry, sorry!! Box cleared (again!)

Appreciate people wishing to keep info off the public boards, but please bear with me. I'm only an amateur (and a nerse as well!)

Thank you so much

I just love it when people respond promptly to requests from members of the public...............................

Not bad for an amateur ................or a 'nerse' ( must look that word up in the dictionary )

Post's been, nothing from WADF. They're obviously holding off as long as possible, thinking that's OK and within the rules. Oh dear.

Tubs I cant remember did you put a date on the letter you expect to get a reply back. It is acceptable according to OSCR for you to set the time limit so long as it is reasonable. ( not one or two days but one or two weeks they suggest)

Still nothing from these people!!!

I suppose we should not be surprised as Gunn, Carter, Wydmuch and Wares have been leading the people of Caithness a merry dance now for over 10 years. All that we have ever been told concerning new football stadiums and sports centres have never came true and all the time they were taking our money

I see someone on here is trying to organise a Flash Mob!!!!!
    Now then, where does Gunn live?????

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    It is acceptable according to OSCR for you to set the time limit so long as it is reasonable. ( not one or two days but one or two weeks they suggest)
    Blast, I wish I'd known that when I sent the letter, no I didn't. I guess they must be being as stinky as they can, and basing the 'reasonable response' time on the moment the cheque cleared.

I've taken a chill pill, and since the WADF are going to spin it out as long as possible, am going to restrict myself to a single post per day, made at 5pm, although I will continue to research. So I guess I'd better make each post a good one! let's aim for 25 000 views before the information finally arrives!

But that will rely on you all to keep the thread floating. Please don't let it sink off the front page after all this time & effort!

Quote Originally Posted by Wario View Post
    All that we have ever been told concerning new football stadiums and sports centres have never came true and all the time they were taking our money
    It will be interesting to see what's been spent, after all this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    I see someone on here is trying to organise a Flash Mob!!!!!
    C3, hanging your bits out isn't going to speed things up!

Exclamation WADF verses OSCR

Well for those folk who have asked any questions about this fund and have not had them answered satisfactorily you can go on here

http://www.oscr.org.uk/Makingacomplaint.stm

and make them aware of your concerns - the more complaints the more likely they are to quickly investigate thoroughly.

Sorry Tubthumper, I am sure you will not mind everyone stealing your thunder and trying to get answers quicker than you appear to be getting them from WADF!

No problem Pat, as you say the more people who actually register their concerns the more likely the OSCR are to react, and the more chance there is of getting this sorry (and embarrassing!) saga put to bed.

Default W.A.D.F. Letter to North of Scotland Newspapers - Part 1

The following letter was originally submitted to the editor of North of Scotland Newspapers. Unfortunately, it was deemed to be too long for publication and it was requested that the word count be reduced by >50% before it would be considered. Given the front page headline status of the original article about Wick Academy Development Fund, we were unhappy with this as we felt that it was only fair that it should be published exactly as it was to enable us to answer the questions posed and to enable our side of things to be put across. N.O.S.N. offered to publish it on their website next Friday but that wasn't suitable for us. Given that we have effectively been denied the opportunity to reach all of the local public via the printed John O'Groat Journal newspaper, the letter now appears here in 3 parts!

Dear Editor,
    I write in response to the article “Answers Wanted Over Charity Leisure Fund”, which was the front page headline of the 9th of July 2010 edition of the John O’Groat Journal. In the article, it was reported that Jamie Stone MSP, had called for details of the Wick Academy Development Fund (W.A.D.F.) to be made available to the Caithness public. Over the last 9 years W.A.D.F. and its committee members have had to endure plenty of bad publicity and it has mainly been due to the often ill conceived views and actions of others. I have therefore endeavoured to address this situation and I have attempted to show the level of transparency and openness that has been called for.
    1) The current management committee of W.A.D.F. are: Chairman – John (Jacky) Gunn, Vice-chairman – William (Billy) More, Secretary – Andrew Carter, Treasurer – William Wydmuch & Executive Officer – Allan Wares. Jacky Gunn, Andrew Carter and William Wydmuch are three of the original founder members of W.A.D.F. while Billy More and Allan Wares have served on the committee and the management committee for a number of years.
    2) The registered address of W.A.D.F. is: 16 Thurso Street, Wick, Caithness KW1 5LF.
    3) The registered Scottish Charity Number of W.A.D.F. is: SC 032787.
    4) W.A.D.F. was formed on the 6th of January 2000 by a small group of like minded people who had a keen interest in, and were actively involved in, local sports and leisure activities. Individually, and collectively, they were fed up with the complete lack of proper sports, leisure and recreation facilities which were available to the people of this area especially when compared to other lesser populated localities and they were determined to try and do something to redress this imbalance.
    5) Since that date, W.A.D.F. has been trying to quietly and conscientiously go about its business raising funds towards achieving its aim. This quietness has often been misconstrued by our detractors as secrecy. For some reason, what we have achieved or haven’t achieved, depending on your viewpoint, knowledge and level of expectation, has irked a few people who have then gone out of their way to try and make our lives as difficult as possible.
    6) The aim of W.A.D.F. was, and still is, is to provide a much needed sports and leisure and recreation facility for the people of Wick and East Caithness. For phase 1, we envisaged a grass sports pitch and a five hundred seat grandstand incorporating, changing, fitness, leisure and conference facilities with ample associated car parking. Given the background of our management committee, this would unashamedly be aimed at the local football fraternity, although various other grass based sports could readily be accommodated. Additional phases of the proposed development were to incorporate various athletics facilities including a running track; a two-thirds sized football pitch indoor training facility along the lines of those already in use in Scandinavian countries sharing our inclement climate; and an arts performance facility. The area of land that we had been offered would have enabled us to easily incorporate all of these facilities.
    7) This may not now be a stand alone facility as was originally envisaged, but could be in the form of an alliance or partnership supporting the development of another body. One possibility that we are currently exploring is whether or not we can become involved in providing the initial funding capital towards any of the leisure and sports developments which may be located at the proposed new Wick High School. It is our wish that the money that we have raised is put to good use and there may well be other ventures that we could become involved in as long as they fall within the remit of our aims and constitution.
    8) Since its formation W.A.D.F. has received tremendous support from other charitable groups and trusts that were planning or beginning to operate similar ventures in other areas. One of these trusts was kind enough to loan us the plans of phase 1 of their now up and running facility, and we were also offered valuable technical assistance and encouragement by many of the individuals who were involved with the management of these organisations.
    9) W.A.D.F. is a small charity and has no employees. All work undertaken on our behalf, including that of our Independent Financial Examiner, is done entirely voluntarily. Unfortunately O.S.C.R. treats all registered charities the same, irrespective of their size and the manpower and resources that are available to them.
    10) Due to an administration oversight, the W.A.D.F. 2009 annual return to the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (O.S.C.R.) became overdue thereby resulting in W.A.D.F. being flagged up as “SENT TO COMPLIANCE” on the O.S.C.R. website. Although this is a minor infringement and is in no way an indication of any misappropriation or malpractice, it recently prompted a thread entitled “Wick Academy Development Fund” to be started on a local internet website message board. This thread received many replies some of which contained veiled threats, defamations, misrepresentations and allegations directed at W.A.D.F. and its management committee members. When W.A.D.F. became aware of this activity, we contacted the website concerned and they took appropriate action by moderating and closing the thread and issuing a warning to future contributors to the thread. We have managed to obtain copies of the messages concerned and we have sought legal advice on this matter and this will be pursued if our advisors deem this to be necessary. There will be regular monitoring of the situation particularly now that the thread has re-opened and is currently attracting a lot of new comments....

CONTINUED IN FURTHER POSTS