Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Wick Academy Development Fund

Has anyone formally written to the Wick Community Council expressing their concerns ?

I haven't. I'll stick with the formal WADF and OSCR correspondence if its OK with everyone. Can someone else take on liaising with the Community Council please? I'm pretty certain they're aware of the issue, but whether they need formal notification is another thing.

[Edit - PM box emptied (again), can people please resend info if they couldn't get in?]
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 06-Aug-10 at 14:16. Reason: Edit
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    Can someone else take on liaising with the Community Council please?
    I had a pm saying that this has been done.

Cheers AiB. Although an 'organisation' which routinely disregards legal protocols, ignores 'suggestions' in the press from MSPs, and prevaricates on polite requests for information is hardly likely to get agitated about the Community Council getting involved.

I wonder; do they have something to hide, does their arrogance break all previously known records, or are they just completely incompetent?

I forgot to mention, I'll keep dealing with the Highland Council correspondence if that's OK with youse?

You know, the Highland Council? That's our Local Authority, the one that the WADF Chairman has 'been in touch with' over the proposed development, as stated in the Groat of 9th July 2010.

(Thanks for all the PMs about trustee behaviour, by the way!)

or are they just completely incompetent

Jeez must get my eyes tested I read this and thought it said incontinent

Default Incredible

Thank you Tubthumper for keeping everyone updated on this saga

WADF committee certainly appears to want to ignore the majority of folk who put money into this fund, by refusing to answer questions and provide documents which have been requested and the requested premium paid - wont be long before somefolks collars will be felt by the long arm of the law imho.

They have had enough time to find all the relevant documents and copied them, many times over - but are they running out of handkercheifs to wipe their sweaty brows, toilet rolls to wipe up after their nervous tums - all charged to expenses of course!

Wonder what they have to cover up - must be something - most committees would supply the information without payment and as quickly as possible to be seen to be acting in a competent and appropriate manner with the monies of which they have control.

This secret committee certain appears to be putting the two fingers up to the folk who willingly gave money into this Developement Fund and want to know where and what this money has/is being used to fund.

Cheers Pat. I'm trying to work out the best way to broadcast this to the offshore workers, who willingly paid into the fund thinking it would be used to build a football stadium for Wick.

The more info we can get the better, and it certainly sounds as if tens of thousands of pounds dropped into the laps of the WADF from these guys.

Any ideas?

Default WADF has it been raising funds under false pretences?? Are they fraudsters?

I saw the thread on here about WADF - ignored it for a long time and did not read it until one day accidentally clicked on it

Wish it had been headed more eye-catching and the folk would be more likely to popin for a glance and be rivetted by the goings on of this "Committee" who chose to ignore practically all of the folk who helped raise the money and now want to know what has happened to this money and where it is is now - everyone is accountable for their actions, including this nameless committee.

Has WADF been raising money under false pretences - where is the money and what has it been used to improve or develope - we (the public) have asked the questions and still after all this time there are no answers - date unavailable to me as Bill has removed the original thread but it has been some months now.

I would have thought the folk of Caithness would be a bit more financially aware after the all the financial irregularities there have been in Caithness lately - do not live in Caithness but I do read some papers.

Think I may move back to Caithness to see what scams, financial irregularities are open as Caithness folk appear to be extremely trusting with the money they hand over to anyone who says it is going to a good cause - see how well you can live before getting caught and getting your wrists lightly tapped and made to pay back only the part of the money they can prove was taken, whilst living a very comfortable life on the rest of the proceeds.

I can imagine many folk are heading up to Caithness to syphon off the gullible Caithness folks money - they hand over money without asking any questions, they trust everyone and especially if they are from Caithness or have Caithness connections, when will you learn not to be so trusting?

What about asking RIGGERBOY what the best way of getting this advertised on the oil rigs in Aberdeen - would a letter to the editor of the P&J asking for all the folk who gave money to WADF to ask questions of OSCR and the people locally who authorise charity collections?
    Last edited by pat; 07-Aug-10 at 09:30.

Pat's point about taking care of our charities is a good one. Wick's recent experiences with dodgy treasurers and fundraisers brings up some very interesting questions about charity fraud. I found this in a paper by the Financial Industry's own charitable body...

Charity Fraud - The victims

Charity fraud can have a considerable impact upon a range of victims in a variety of ways. Ultimately we all pay the price for fraud perpetrated against the charity sector; charities lose money, donors lose confidence in giving, beneficiaries lose access to services, employees lose jobs and wider society loses the important contribution that charities make to the quality of life in our local, national and international communities.
    Victims include:
    • The charity: The charity does not receive the full amount of income that has been collected on its behalf or income is misappropriated or misapplied.
    • Donors and financial supporters: The donor is misled into providing donations to fictitious charities or bogus collectors or the full value of the donation (or other form of financial support) is not applied to the charity or in the manner expected.
    • Beneficiaries: The beneficiary is deprived of financial assistance, goods, services, resources or their own money because the charity has not received the necessary/ anticipated income to fund activities.
    • Employees and volunteers: The morale of employees and volunteers can be seriously affected. Employees may lose their jobs.
    • Wider society: Fraud can erode public confidence in charities and damage the reputation of the sector as a whole.

(Source - Fraud Advisory Panel - paper 01/08 www.fraudadvisorypanel.org/newsite/PDFs/other/Charity Fraud (June08).pdf)

Default Wow!!

£8 cheque's been cashed - to clear on Monday!

Great stuff, thanks WADF. Looking forward to receiving your information.

£8 cheque's been cashed - to clear on Monday!

Woohoo!!

Now how long before we find out if it's a 419er or not????

Default WADF has it been raising funds under false pretences?? Are they fraudsters?

Now they have cashed the cheque they have agreed to a contract to provide the goods requested and within a reasonable date.

Please let us all on here know, as you have always done - clear and above board with nothing to hide, when and what the answers you receive from this WADF committee.

Thanks for all your good work so far - keep thumping the tub for Caithness.

Nothing public should be hidden - everything above board and able to be inspected by anyone who wants to view any information.

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    Nothing public should be hidden - everything above board and able to be inspected by anyone who wants to view any information.
    Looks like the Government agrees with you Pat

I was checking to see if the freedom of information act applies to charities and found this lovely piece of info

Freedom of Information Act will not apply to charities

the ministry said that the benefits of bringing charities under the auspices of the act would be significantly outweighed by the "inevitable" negative impact on their charitable causes brought by the extra cost of compliance.
    But it added that the Government would "expect charities to respond as openly and promptly as possible to reasonable requests for the information they hold".

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    But it added that the Government would "expect charities to respond as openly and promptly as possible to reasonable requests for the information they hold".
    Straigt forward business ettiquet (sp) only to be expected of course.
    Asuming you have a moral consciense that is!

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Straigt forward business ettiquet (sp) only to be expected of course.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    I saw the thread on here about WADF - ignored it for a long time and did not read it until one day accidentally clicked on it

Wish it had been headed more eye-catching and the folk would be more likely to popin for a glance and be rivetted by the goings on of this "Committee" who chose to ignore practically all of the folk who helped raise the money and now want to know what has happened to this money and where it is is now - everyone is accountable for their actions, including this nameless committee.

Has WADF been raising money under false pretences - where is the money and what has it been used to improve or develope - we (the public) have asked the questions and still after all this time there are no answers - date unavailable to me as Bill has removed the original thread but it has been some months now.

I would have thought the folk of Caithness would be a bit more financially aware after the all the financial irregularities there have been in Caithness lately - do not live in Caithness but I do read some papers.

Think I may move back to Caithness to see what scams, financial irregularities are open as Caithness folk appear to be extremely trusting with the money they hand over to anyone who says it is going to a good cause - see how well you can live before getting caught and getting your wrists lightly tapped and made to pay back only the part of the money they can prove was taken, whilst living a very comfortable life on the rest of the proceeds.

I can imagine many folk are heading up to Caithness to syphon off the gullible Caithness folks money - they hand over money without asking any questions, they trust everyone and especially if they are from Caithness or have Caithness connections, when will you learn not to be so trusting?

What about asking RIGGERBOY what the best way of getting this advertised on the oil rigs in Aberdeen - would a letter to the editor of the P&J asking for all the folk who gave money to WADF to ask questions of OSCR and the people locally who authorise charity collections?
    Your words are very true Pat it seems that Caithness folks are to trusting and gulliable as far as giving to Charity is concerned.
    There are Two more Charity fraudters in Wick JP court on Tuesday over a collection in the Seaforth Club and the Pipe Band hall .
    There actions put people off giving but at least them have been taken to Court and named and shamed for there actions hope the Seaforth club will Ban the person involved.
    The Pipeband have stated in the paper that it is Nothing to do with them.

Default WADF - Wick Always Donates First - asks questions years later

totally agree with you - everyone suffers from the misappropriation/misplacement of funds.
    As a Wicker living in Stornoway - I have been getting very strange looks, from people who do not know me, folk walking away when I say I am from Wick, especially since the recent court case in Wick involving someone who moved here from Wick, this loss of trust has certainly affected my relationship with the people of Lewis who do not know me personally.

Time the Wick Academy Developement Fund was cleared/cleaned up and everything out in the open and above board, to enable everyone to see all is crystal clear, there has been no subterfuge and underhand dealings with this fund and accounts, that the committee have just been very careful in protecting the donations, their identities and their money management techniques.

Hope you get the envelope on Monday Tubthumper with all the information required.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    ... the Government would "expect charities to respond as openly and promptly as possible to reasonable requests for the information they hold".
    There is a legal requirement to promptly provide the constitution/ governing document and latest accounts when requested. Providing anything else (e.g. a list of trustees, meeting records, details of expenses, progress reports etc) is down to the charity, while the legality of withholding information is down to examination of that lovely old legal term 'reasonable'.

Now, I would say that it is 'reasonable' for us (either as Members Of The Public or Citizens of Wick and Environs) to wonder what's going on, to ask for access to records, and possibly to demand an open meeting where we can ask questions of those working on our behalf. Many of my chums who know about these things agree, and they've all been laughing mightily at the progress of this thread!

The trustees of a charity that claims to be 'Working On Behalf Of The Community' would be well advised to willingly provide any information on their activities that is requested. And I should point out that I (we) haven't yet asked for anything other than the Gov Doc and accounts.

As I've said since the start, we might get a pleasant surprise and find that there's stacks of dosh, a well-defined plan, a beautifully-conducted project development programme and smiles all round. And I will be first to offer my congratulations and apologies for casting doubts, although I will wryly wonder why the need for all the secrecy and loss of sleep.

In the meantime, any trustee (whoever they are) that doesn't want to continue in their role, perhaps because they think they're above being dragged blinking into the limelight, worried about having their personal conduct and sources of income examined in public, concerned they might have been a bit aggressive in their trusteeship, who's maybe exaggerated a little bit when talking to the press, or been a bit over-enthusiastic in their public denunciation of people seeking the truth, can resign at any time. That won't excuse them from possibly being asked to explain their conduct at a future point, but I'm sure the community will offer thanks for the work done.

Any trustee wishing to escape and afraid of the reaction of other trustees, why not drop me a pm or give me a phone (you know who and where I am, after all) and I can offer some counselling and contacts for help.

And on a final note (for the moment) I'm told that, in our wonderful Scots law, the defence of 'Veritas' is absolute in cases where Defamation has been alleged. Can someone let me know if that's correct please?

Thanks to all those who confirmed the legal niceties of online debate in Scotland.

After 17 500 views this thread is still popular, but let's make sure it doesn't become stale. Holding off until folk get bored and lose interest has served our friends well in the past, and allowed this silly situation to persist for over 10 years.

Please keep lobbing in your thoughts. I'll get hold of a scanner, in anticipation of lots of goodies coming shortly!