Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Flowers dying???

Question Flowers dying???

Anyone got any idea why flowers would literally die overnight? Everything that was flowering in our garden has mysteriously withered and died? Anyone know why this could be?

Default Flowers dying

Is it just one kind of flower that has died on you, or are you meaning lots in the garden, if so maybe someone has been spraying weed killer and its drifted over to your garden, or maybe its because we had that lovely warm spell, then it turned back to damp and cold, i found this happened to my elephant plant on that cold snap a lot of the leaves turned black.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander
    Is it just one kind of flower that has died on you, or are you meaning lots in the garden, if so maybe someone has been spraying weed killer and its drifted over to your garden, or maybe its because we had that lovely warm spell, then it turned back to damp and cold, i found this happened to my elephant plant on that cold snap a lot of the leaves turned black.
    Its a few of them highlander.....Weigleia in particular {thats not how its spelt I dont think} they were just beginning to flower as well! Possibly its to do with the unusual weather weve been having! I suppose it could be to do with someone spraying weed killer or something similar! Never mind not to worry, some things just defy a logical explanation, thanks for your concern anyway highlander! BTW I didnt think you were allowed to use that word Elephant around here highlander?

Default flowers

Shallow rooted flowers have a hard time so far north in summer due to the 24 hours of daylight ,so you should always water them around 8.30-10.00 in the evening.This should stop the plant dying .Give it ago .....

Take a dig in the soil around the plant roots - actually dig in over and look for any grubs. I had two rose bushes suddenly go. Found cockchafer grubs had eaten the roots. Didn't begrudge them 'cos I like the adult beetles. I put a Catalpa there instead.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Thanks dozy and Ricco........never thought about that! Ill try the watering if that fails Ill check for grubs! The weiglieas {Ive 3 of them 2 in pots and 1 in the soil} were fine last year and appeared to be doing alright till a few nights ago all of a sudden the life went out of them! Could be it's the weather though its so changeable! Thanks for the advice!

Default flowers dying

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    Anyone got any idea why flowers would literally die overnight? Everything that was flowering in our garden has mysteriously withered and died? Anyone know why this could be?
    My first thoughts too was weedkiller, lost all tomatoes last year because of careless use of weedkiller. Maybe a bit late now, but can you post a photo, maybe give us some clues as to what happened

Quote Originally Posted by janette
    My first thoughts too was weedkiller, lost all tomatoes last year because of careless use of weedkiller. Maybe a bit late now, but can you post a photo, maybe give us some clues as to what happened
    I haven't and dont use weedkiller janette, unless someone else has! I think its the weird weather........its hot its cold etc poor plants are confused, with that warm spell we had they were flourishing and then all of a sudden it went all cold and the flowers seemed to shrivel up and die! Not to worry!

Default flowers dying

Didn't for one minute think of yourself using weedkiller. Neighbours are the enemy for weedkiller. Frost last night, out covering plants at five this morning. Mad as a hatter!!!!!!!!!!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by janette
    Didn't for one minute think of yourself using weedkiller. Neighbours are the enemy for weedkiller. Frost last night, out covering plants at five this morning. Mad as a hatter!!!!!!!!!!
    Neighbours using weedkiller........could be, I dont know! Im more inclined to think its the weather! But that reminded me of a neighbour where we used to live again it was the weigleia that died. I had put down a few of them in a corner not far from my neighbours front door and one by one they all died, couldnt understand it, until I picked up a handful of the soil and had a sniff........it stunk of creosote, I thought right Ill not plant anything else there in the soil, got me a pot and planted a weigliea in it, thinking if that dies and the peat stinks of creosote shes had it ........evil she was! Hope she hasnt followed us on her broomstick!

temps fell to -1 last couple of nights so that could be the reason, know my fuschia that was lovely a couple of days ago is looking a bit worse for wear!