Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Velux window installation - who?

Default Velux window installation - who?

I've had a couple of prices for replacing an old 2' x 3' skylight and considering they're not too expensive to buy "off the shelf" I wasn't impressed by a quote of nearly £1000 ! The other was £550.

This one is in an old slate roof and I can see that the installer doesn't know the condition of the roof timber, but really, £1000!

Anyone have some experience of having this done?
    Who?
    What to avoid (who to avoid!)
    or any burning reason not to DIY the darn thing.

Thanks in eager anticipation.

We did an attic conversion and my hubby put in his own velux windows - well Screwfix, not velux, but same kind of window. He did it himself, and had no previous experience. Did a fine job if I say so myself. Wouldna waste my money if you are confident enough to try it yourself!
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - CONFUCIUS

Thanks. It kinda confirms a gut feeling I had about the job. *rubs hands* Here we go!

I agree i did one myself,and all from inside the attic,did not need to go on the roof. cost of materials only,and if i rember purchased from screwfix........ Free postage.

Quote Originally Posted by south view 7 View Post
    I agree i did one myself,and all from inside the attic,did not need to go on the roof. cost of materials only,and if i rember purchased from screwfix........ Free postage.
    i would call any joiner it can be fitted in 3/4 hours average rate of £20 per hour thay have the tools needed ie slate knife jigsaw no probs or worry about water comming in