Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dining Out - Where to go?

Question Dining Out - Where to go?

Recommendations for resturants are a bit thin on the ground these days.

Anybody got a recommendation for a decent bar supper / evening meal , anywhere between Melvich and Dunnet?

Id go the extra few miles for food in john o groats at the seaview hotel

http://www.seaviewjohnogroats.co.uk/

karia Guest

Hallerdale Arms in Melvich...big hearty tasty portions in a warm friendly atmosphere.

Norhern Sands have a grehat menu and specials...love their meatballs and pasta...if only they put lemon and ice in a G&T without you begging for it.

Huge and great steaks at both

Default Red Pepper / Bord de l'eau

Had a beautiful meal in the Red Pepper Restaurant @ the Holborn Hotel in Thurso just after New Year. Very high quality ingredients, cooked to perfection!

I know you say not beyond Dunnet, but by far the best meal I've ever had in Caithness (and within top 5 in my life, world-wide) would have to be the Bord de l'eau French restaurant in Wick.

The serve the nicest, juiciest steak in the world in my opinion, served with beautiful sides of sauteed potatos, real french fries and lots of seasoned veg.

Probably the only place in Caithness I've been to that takes pride in serving with a smile, actually caring about the customer, nothing is too much trouble to ensure you have a fantastic meal.

The Northern Sands is by far the best eatery in the county at the moment, Steaks and Seafood to die for! Had their Smoked Haddock andLleek Fishcakes followed by Chocolate Fondue absolutely gorgeous!Really welcoming service too.

The Park Hotel & Pentland have always been really good anytime I have been. Would recommend both for some nice scoff!

I like the Bistro!
    Not excatly a bar meal but good food!

Plenty to choose from. Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, Red Pepper, Bistro and Le Bordelaux (spelling) in Wick - all fantastic. The bistro in Mackays' Hotel Wick is really decent too.

I can add Y-Not in Thurso to the list - not had a bad meal yet and the Cajun Chicken with Creamy Penne pasta is damned addictive . Nice relaxed atmosphere too.

The very very very best are Norseman,Wick, Sinclair hotel in Castletown, The pub in Thrumster and the Nethercliffe Hotel,wick.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Sorry fran have to disagree with you there Queens hotel in wick is far superior as in quality of food served in norseman hotel, been to norseman three times giving them benefit of the doubt but on the three occasions was not happy with meal, also when out for a meal prefer home made sweets not frozen,Queens i have been on numerous occasions and cannot fault it at all, food was all home made, sweets are to die for also homemade. So in wick in my experience i would recommend queens hotel by far
    Last edited by lybsterlad; 02-Jul-10 at 19:43.

I agree with Bobinovich! Y-Not is excellent. I go there very regular for lunch and bar meals. Great prices and excellent quality food.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

The Y-Not is ok for lunch or a snack but I wouldn't recommend it for a meal.
    The Park is good, everything made from scratch (apart from the chips!), Le Bistro is also good, local produce (again they use frozen chips) but I have to say if you want a good homecooked meal I recommend the Castletown Hotel. Im a regular there, freshly cooked food(not reheated and best beer batter around), fresh ingredients, local meat and proper chips!!!!!!!....mmm might have to pop in tomorrow for a little nibble!

Kids & I had a meal in the Red Pepper last night - usual choice on Kids menu but very reasonably priced - £2.95 with ice cream pudding included!

Main menu seemed a bit limited on choice but what was on there sounded lovely. I had the battered haddock with chips & side-salad which was all very tasty. As we were celebrating the star of the holidays I treated myself to a pudding - meringue nest with cream and fruit.

It was all really nice but, other than the kids meals, the price seemed a little steep - £12.95 for the haddock and £4.50 for the meringue nest. TBH I've had similar quality elsewhere locally for £7.95 and £3.25 which would seem far more reasonable given the decent pricing of the kids meals.

So, thumbs up for quality & service, thumbs down for price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Kids & I had a meal in the Red Pepper last night - usual choice on Kids menu but very reasonably priced - £2.95 with ice cream pudding included!

Main menu seemed a bit limited on choice but what was on there sounded lovely. I had the battered haddock with chips & side-salad which was all very tasty. As we were celebrating the star of the holidays I treated myself to a pudding - meringue nest with cream and fruit.

It was all really nice but, other than the kids meals, the price seemed a little steep - £12.95 for the haddock and £4.50 for the meringue nest. TBH I've had similar quality elsewhere locally for £7.95 and £3.25 which would seem far more reasonable given the decent pricing of the kids meals.

So, thumbs up for quality & service, thumbs down for price.
    Do you really need an excuse for pudding? Not like u at all
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Forss House Hotel; Bord de L'Eau and the Mackays hotel are my personal favourites - even if you're on your own the food and service is really good

I have fond memories of how the Portland Arms used to be.
    Bagpuss

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    Hallerdale Arms in Melvich...big hearty tasty portions in a warm friendly atmosphere.

Norhern Sands have a grehat menu and specials...love their meatballs and pasta...if only they put lemon and ice in a G&T without you begging for it.

Huge and great steaks at both
    G&T without ice and lemon… Sacrilege !!

How about a budget list also?

cheapest meal out- and best value for money?
    Bagpuss

My choice for budget/value for money would be the all day breakfast at Laidhay croft museum. Less than a fiver for 3 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 eggs, beans, tomato, toast and tea or coffee.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast