Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dining Out - Where to go?

I note with interest that a few years ago probably the highest recommended restaurant in the area would have been the Upper Deck, yet here there is not a single recommendation for them.
    That would probably be because in the last couple of years the prices hiked up and the food was not of the best quality. Having recently revisited I can say I recommend them 100%, the prices are back down to what I'd describe as reasonable prices for steaks and by god are they good!!!!

Well done Upper Deck in finally getting it sorted, I'm sure you're seeing the benefits already.

Quote Originally Posted by lybsterlad View Post
    Sorry fran have to disagree with you there Queens hotel in wick is far superior as in quality of food served in norseman hotel, been to norseman three times giving them benefit of the doubt but on the three occasions was not happy with meal, also when out for a meal prefer home made sweets not frozen,Queens i have been on numerous occasions and cannot fault it at all, food was all home made, sweets are to die for also homemade. So in wick in my experience i would recommend queens hotel by far
    .................................................. ....................................
    Disagree. All sweets in the Norseman are freshly made and out of this world, not frozen at all, with a huge selection. We were in there again today and the meal, the sweet, the staff...everything was perfect. Absolutely delicious.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    .................................................. ....................................
    Disagree. All sweets in the Norseman are freshly made and out of this world, not frozen at all, with a huge selection. We were in there again today and the meal, the sweet, the staff...everything was perfect. Absolutely delicious.
    You must have been lucky as i definately got frozen sweet,agree staff were fine but surroundings were a bit tacky badly in need of decoration especially toilets they were terrible.
    Maybe they have changed menu were def frozen when i was there, food was ok but not a patch on Queens home made meals, and homemade sweets.
    My friend still raves about Castletown Hotel sunday carvery, said it is miles better than norseman carvery i will give it a try this weekend to see.
    Will stick with my recommendation of Queens excellent food, lovely clean surroundings
    Last edited by lybsterlad; 15-Jul-10 at 20:36.

Anyone been to The Holburn recently? Used to love it for their homemade chips and nice side salads/coleslaw. Was disappointed last few times as they had changed to generic frozen chips/bought in coleslaw. Would like to know if this was temporary or a permanent change. I know it would mke more sense to ask in person but too shy.

You must have been lucky as i definately got frozen sweet,agree staff were fine but surroundings were a bit tacky badly in need of decoration especially toilets they were terrible.
    Maybe they have changed menu were def frozen when i was there, food was ok but not a patch on Queens home made meals, and homemade sweets.
    My friend still raves about Castletown Hotel sunday carvery, said it is miles better than norseman carvery i will give it a try this weekend to see.
    Will stick with my recommendation of Queens excellent food, lovely clean surroundings
    .................................................. ....
    Castletown Hotel and the Norseman are run by the same people. Maybe you went to the Norseman before it changed hands. It was taken over earlier this year and i have been many times and never found any fault at all.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    .................................................. ....
    Castletown Hotel and the Norseman are run by the same people. Maybe you went to the Norseman before it changed hands. It was taken over earlier this year and i have been many times and never found any fault at all.
    am aware that same people own norseman as castletown, obviously different quality chefs as castletown serve far superior food, was at castletown for sunday carvery yesterday and have to say it was excellent food served in norseman is not a patch on it, its a shame really,saw quite a few wick people there as well so they obviously share my opinion as they wouldnt travel to castletown from wick if they could get same quality of food on there doorstep

the Bay Owl at Dunbeath is excellent very reasonable too. We hade a meal at the Red Pepper last weekend too it was lovely but very expensive, (3 closed stuffed mushrooms with a bit of lettuce for £4.95) The Portland Arms in Lybster is very good too.
    life may not be a party be while were here we might as well dance!!

Go a bit further afield and try the mussells at Dornoch Castle Hotel- along from the Town Jail. Huge portions, reasonable prices- and the mocha coffee with the chocolate dipper is to die for,
    Bagpuss

was at castletown for sunday carvery yesterday and have to say it was excellent
    Could you tell me more about the Carvery @ Castletown? How much and the times, please?

Northern Sands in Dunnet highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    Could you tell me more about the Carvery @ Castletown? How much and the times, please?
    Carvery in Castltown is £12.95 and is worth every penny selection of meat, is amazing, and the sweets are to die for all homemade, i went at 1pm but think they serve from 12.30.

Default Blue Door Cafe

Have you tried the Blue Door Cafe on the Thurso Caravan Park. On a Friday night it does burgers and fish. The fish was lovely with nice crispy batter. And there is even entertainment in the form of father and son playing the accordian.
    It was a lovely relaxed feeling and at an affordable price.

Well worth a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12