Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cetaceans

Ooooo I love those, thanks for posting I have longed to catch a glimpse of the dolphins for ages, we sat practically a whole week at Chanory Point a couple of years back and didn't see one.

Since moving to Skye, I haven't managed to see any either, i'm not really sure where the best place is for dolphin spotting here is?
    Wishing on a star, still!

~~Be who you are and say what you want because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind~~

Default minke

The Caithness Marine Mammel Medics were aware of the Minke Whale and her location.
    There is already a picture on this thread.
    They avoided stating the location for health reasons, several tons of rotting flesh is not a healthy place to be near.
    Last edited by bluelady; 11-Aug-07 at 23:03.

A good hug often helps

Default Bottlenose Dolophins

These fantastic creatures are still making an appearence at Chanonry Point Fortrose.
    You must be there just before the Low Tide.

Default Porpoise.

A little nearer to Home.
    The Group of Porpoise that gather each year at Gills Bay are still here.
    My pictures were taken from land near the Harbour.
    If you want to get closer the North Coast Adeventure boat will be operating until next Saturday when it packs up for the Winter.

Not so nice, this is what happens when a cetacean gets trapped in fishing nets and dies (or sometimes before death) ... the tail is cut off.
    What s left here is 80cm of a female harbour porpoise ... newborn size is 80cm to 95cm.

I have been watching this thread since it started months ago, great info, sightings and pictures well done Seabird, may you have many more happy hours watching these great creatures. WELL DONE

Martin

Default Minkes 6-10-07 Whaligoe

More Pics on the CMMM web site. Photo Section
    http://caithness-mmm.org/e107_plugin...iewforum.php?2

Colin

Default Minkes Whaligoe steps 7-10-07

I counted 5 Whales this morning.
    Many thanks to Dave Nicolson for phone call.
    Whales were last seen at 3pm.

Colin

Default Dolphin murders

Has any one else seen this fascinating documentary?
    It seems that bottle nosed dolphins have a sinister side to their nature and attack both porpoises and juvenile dolphins resulting in a traumatic death for those attacked.
    It was a little gruesome, watching the disection of these animals, but the eventual post mortem findings by scottish and american marine biologists with a little help from some astonishing video footage leaves some questions unanswered as to why they do this although, it is well documented that other animal species practise infanticide.
    I shall look at dolphins in a new light fom here on.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Has any one else seen this fascinating documentary?
    It seems that bottle nosed dolphins have a sinister side to their nature and attack both porpoises and juvenile dolphins resulting in a traumatic death for those attacked.
    It was a little gruesome, watching the disection of these animals, but the eventual post mortem findings by scottish and american marine biologists with a little help from some astonishing video footage leaves some questions unanswered as to why they do this although, it is well documented that other animal species practise infanticide.
    I shall look at dolphins in a new light fom here on.
    I watched it last year.
    The evidence was there on video film, but people thought the Dolphins were just playing.
    My personal feeling is they are behaving in the same way that the Male lion does.
    When taking over a pride, they kill any cubs that were born to the previous head of the pride so they can mate and produce their own off spring.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123