Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Anti Scottish feeling in England.....

I've visited both countries, England & Scotland, many times. Felt more accepted by the citizens of Scotland than those of England during my many visits. I continue to prefer visiting Scotland. That's the way it is for me. Although both are a part of Great Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine
    I've visited both countries, England & Scotland, many times. Felt more accepted by the citizens of Scotland than those of England during my many visits. I continue to prefer visiting Scotland. That's the way it is for me. Although both are a part of Great Britain.
    Indeed, they are, and long may it continue. The 'Great' is now, sadly, a moot point.This is an interesting, yet tantalisingly scant post. Why did you feel the English did not accept you so readily? Where are you from? Are you visibly different or was there some other reason? Do you speak with a 'foreign' accent? I'm curious.

I had an old marina once by the way. Close but not close enough eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead

Nah, I can honestly say I love Scotland and its people with their weird sense of independence. I can honestly see how my attitude could seem arrogant to some, but that is the English way no?
    Could seem?!!!!!!!!!!

It appears that is the way of some English unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by landmarker View Post
    With English people attacked in Scotland by and the widely reported attitude of 'anyone but England' north of the border there is, I regret, a bit of momentum growing here against the Scottish.

The world cup fervour, or lack of it, might have unforseen consequences for Gordon Brown's chances of ever taking up Prime Ministerial power.
    A two page spread in the Daily Mail today re-inforced this feeling of alienation.

Written by Tim Luckhurst, a former editor of the 'Scotsman' and a resident of Glasgow for twenty odd years. He reckoned that the introduction of devolution had weakened traditional ties and loyalties on both sides of the border. He also highlighted the vast number of Scots in our Parliament, and in positions of influence, and mooted the possibility of an Englishman ever becoming Scotlands first minister. It was a very short mooting (ie no chance)The same can be said of Wales I'd imagine.

All this is very sad. I 've said it doesn't matter who one supports in any sports match but things are going beyond this now, and if we are not careful then auld enmities will become a schism, and then a chasm.

Does anyone really want this?

A long time lover of Scotland, and harbouring a desire to live there one day, I must admit my ideas have been ever so slightly jolted.

Is it an 'underdog' thing? England has never been one has it, really? Is that why so many here shout for the underdog and would embrace a Scotland victory as one akin to our own. (Olympic Curling for instance) Yet so many Scots seem to bitterly resent an English presence in Germany, let alone progress.

This is wider than the world cup, and why I have not posted under the 'banter' thread. The violence is most regrettable, and given the scurrilous nature of the red top tabloids much will be made of it. It is a dangerous development and one which must be kept in perspective on both sides of the border, otherwise we will all be the losers.
    Hmm. Interesting that someone else saw the political implications of the World Cup. Being by nature highly suspicious, especialy of a certain Mr Blair who most certainly does not want ol Gordie to take his place, I wonder how much of the media hype was directed by No 10. After all the Murdoch empire is firmly behind Tony and most of the material that stirred up the Scotland ? England debate in such an unconstructive manner was owned by....You get it!

Quote Originally Posted by landmarker View Post
    Was it squidge who called English-Scotland friction 'racism' I hope not, because such a tag is rubbish. We are the same race as I have said before. Perhaps different ethnicities, certainly different naitonalities. That said we're the same race.

Gleeber - where does a 'gleeber' come from? I see you were picked on as a child and it could explain a lot. I am not 'English' to the core....I honestly do not think so. I consider meself English, because it's undeniable, but being 'British' gives me some claim on a Scottish heritage - me great great grannie and grandad were 'Renwick & Bruce' They headed south during the latter days of the industrial revolution looking for work I'd guess.

I tried to give Nello some good feedback but the system wouldn't let me. I apologise for using the term 'our parliament' I have never resented Scots at Westminster, but now we must look at issues where they vote on matters wholly concerning England. Care for the elderly, tuition fees etc...it seems they are happy to rob us of these whilst supporting them north of the border.

Apparently the Scot gets £1,500 more spending per head from central government than the average 'Englander' This is fair enough since oil revenue must provide a lot of that. I am a citizen of Britain, and am thoroughly pleased to be so. I shall wear a subtle English top in Sutherland next week as I watch the quarter finals. I don't expect anything other than banter & I'm confident I shall hold my own. The team??? that's a different thing altogether.
    The idea that Scots receive more per head from central taxation is a bit of a myth. Yes Westminister gives a bit more to some Scottish councils than to English ones. However if you look at state subsidy in other areas, e.g. defence, contracting, tax breaks for developers etc...........there is no doublt that Scots overall receive way less government money than their English counterpart.

Default Anti Scottish feeling in England.....

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    Indeed, they are, and long may it continue. The 'Great' is now, sadly, a moot point.This is an interesting, yet tantalisingly scant post. Why did you feel the English did not accept you so readily? Where are you from? Are you visibly different or was there some other reason? Do you speak with a 'foreign' accent? I'm curious.

I had an old marina once by the way. Close but not close enough eh.
    I'm an American from Tucson, AZ. I spent more time in Scotland than in England while working as an engineer at the old Thurso NavComSta. I met and had many friends in Scotland and spent less time in England so didn't have the chance to meet as many. I did know a Methodist Minister in England who had exchanged pulpits with my friend in Arizona. Him and his wife were delightful people. My family and I visited them in England while we were on tour there. My preference to the Scottish people over the English is probably due to the time I spent in each place.

Quote Originally Posted by stompy View Post
    The idea that Scots receive more per head from central taxation is a bit of a myth. Yes Westminister gives a bit more to some Scottish councils than to English ones. However if you look at state subsidy in other areas, e.g. defence, contracting, tax breaks for developers etc...........there is no doublt that Scots overall receive way less government money than their English counterpart.
    Errr, it was only about 3 months ago that there was an article in the Record discussing the extra cash from central Government that every Scot receives per head per year than the English do. There was certainly no mention that it didn't exist!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

there was an article in the Record
    Hardly a reliable source
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy View Post
    Hardly a reliable source
    Correct, but if it was a load a nonsense then I think even they would have pointed it out.

alot o us heelanders havny forgoten aboot oor forefaithers who hed nae choice to leave this country during the clearances forced to leave inner scotland oot tae the coastlines and allwit came wee the clearances and the biggest insult tae us heelanders is the statue o the duke o' sutherland lookin doon fae that big hill at golspie and noo we seem tae be gettin invaded by the english again swaggerin o'er scottish land, you'd get done for tresspassin if us scots walked o'er english land and ye can hardly find a shop in england that'll take a scottish pound and if the do its no withoot a growl on there faces but dinny get me rong i hae english friends but there are arrogant stuck up ones livin here that i canny stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Errr, it was only about 3 months ago that there was an article in the Record discussing the extra cash from central Government that every Scot receives per head per year than the English do. There was certainly no mention that it didn't exist!
    But that was based on selective figures, Rheghead........subsidies aren't confined to block grants, you know...........as Stompy said <quote> However if you look at state subsidy in other areas, e.g. defence, contracting, tax breaks for developers etc...........there is no doublt that Scots overall receive way less government money than their English counterpart.</quote>
    Heck, I don't think there is a job in any private company in Scotland that is subsidised at the level of every job in the Arms Industry..........all 130,000 of them..and only about 3000 of them in Scotland!

Now there's one hidden subsidy for you to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    all 130,000 of them..and only about 3000 of them in Scotland!

Now there's one hidden subsidy for you to think about.
    I am not sure about the breakdown of where all the jobs are or are not. I suspect those figures are a gross exageration, but I am prepared to eat my words if you find a breakdown to make me. There are certainly a lot of workers in Scotland that are involved in the defense industry though. Faslane, Rosythe, Vulcan, Govan to name a few. And of course there are the armed forces as well.

EDIT, I would also like to point out that defence contracts are put out to tender, therefore, cost and delivery times count for a lot in contract awards. So, I would reject that there was any lack of 'subsidy' inference to Scotland as a whole.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 28-Aug-06 at 17:42.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggertoo View Post
    alot o us heelanders havny forgoten aboot oor forefaithers who hed nae choice to leave this country during the clearances forced to leave inner scotland oot tae the coastlines and allwit came wee the clearances and the biggest insult tae us heelanders is the statue o the duke o' sutherland lookin doon fae that big hill at golspie and noo we seem tae be gettin invaded by the english again swaggerin o'er scottish land, you'd get done for tresspassin if us scots walked o'er english land and ye can hardly find a shop in england that'll take a scottish pound and if the do its no withoot a growl on there faces but dinny get me rong i hae english friends but there are arrogant stuck up ones livin here that i canny stand
    I presume this is some kind of joke? Ha. Ha. Ha.

The clearances were orchestrated by Scots, not English. Scottish notes are not legal tender, even in Scotland, although I grant you that the arrangements requiring Scottish banks to deposit cash with the Bank of England to secure notes in issue should count for more than it does.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456