Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What is it?

Question What is it?

On top of Scraben yesterday I saw a bird about the size of a large seagull. It was grey with white flashes on the wings and the top of its head was red. It did not fly away but walked along about 10 yards in front of me. It made no sound.

Ptarmigan.
    Brilliant birds who change their plumage to pure white in winter. They are a member of the grouse family. Nice find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Ptarmigan
    Away with the birds

Quote Originally Posted by kas View Post
    Ptarmigan.
    Brilliant birds who change their plumage to pure white in winter. They are a member of the grouse family. Nice find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Ptarmigan

Thanks for the info Kas - I've never seen one before.

Neither have I. I did look up Cairngorm but had no joy and I keep sayingI will do Morven again to try and see one.

Cheers
    Away with the birds

There used to be quite a few up Ben Loyal, Ben Hope and Klebreck, although not been up there for some time so numbers could have changed.

nirofo.

Default Aye.......

Having visited both Morven and the Scarabens several times over the years I am of the opinion that ptarmigan are more common on the latter.
    Look for them on the scree, they can be hard to spot.

Nirofo, the high Sutherland mountains do all have ptarmigan, I am pleased to confirm.