Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: How would YOU cope?

Doing missionary work in Northern England

Default How would YOU cope?

Massive space storms forecast as sun awakens from ‘deep slumber’

By Daily Mail Reporter
    14th June 2010

Scientists have warned that massive space storms could be on the way as the Sun wakes from a ‘deep slumber’.

The Sun follows an 11-year cycle of high and low periods of solar activity. It is now leaving a notably quiet phase and scientists expect to see a sharp increase in the number of solar flares as well as unprecedented levels of magnetic energy.
    This could have catastrophic consequences for Earth.

Solar flares which have the power of 100 hydrogen bombs, could cause twenty times more damage than Hurricane Katrina.

Experts met in Washington DC last week to discuss how to protect Earth from the ferocious flares, which are expected sometime around 2013. The 'space conference' was attended by scientists, government policy-makers and researchers.

Richard Fisher, head of Nasa's Heliophysics Division, explained: 'The Sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we expect to see much higher levels of solar activity.

‘At the same time, our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to solar storms.’

Nasa is using dozens of satellites – including the Solar Dynamics Observatory – to study the threat.

The problem was investigated in depth two years ago by the National Academy of Sciences, in a report which outlined the social and economic impacts of severe space weather events.

It noted how people of the 21st-century rely on high-tech systems for the basics of daily life.

Smart power grids, GPS navigation, air travel, financial services and emergency radio communications can all be knocked out by intense solar activity. But much of the damage could be minimised if there was foreknowledge that the storm was approaching.
    Putting satellites in 'safe mode' and disconnecting transformers could protect them from damaging electrical surges.

Preventative action, however, requires accurate forecasting - a job that has been assigned to The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA.)
    'Space weather forecasting is still in its infancy, but we're making rapid progress,' says Thomas Bogdan, director of NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center in Boulder, Colorado.

Bogdan sees the collaboration between Nasa and NOAA as key.
    'NASA's fleet of heliophysics research spacecraft provides us with up-to-the-minute information about what's happening on the Sun. They are an important complement to our own GOES and POES satellites, which focus more on the near-Earth environment.'

Further link:
    http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ng-100405.html

I read that the other day on Yahoo news. Wasnt sure if they were just pulling a leg though.

So what....we loose power and things every now and again. People managed without technology for many many years!

Oh no wait.....that means i wont have facebook!

Hopefully they have it wrong and it wont cause as much damage as they think.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

This is one of those things that will get a "how did this happen" response if it is as bad as expected.

We are now highly reliant on sensitive equipment which does not have any residual back up or self reliability.
    The majority of communications now are networked, so if one part fails it all fails.
    The polis for instance have spent a fortune on new fandangled radios which are technologically advanced (and massively under utilised 'cos they don't know what they can do) and if the network falls over they are, well useless.
    The old system would still allow comms on a point to point basis.

This is the same across many systems. Including the tinterweb!!
    (Wot no Org!!)

It could be fun times, dig out the old CB radios...breaker breaker.
    DeHaviLand should buy up the old radio kit that keeps getting flogged off by the Gov't, he'll make a killing selling it back to 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Oh no wait.....that means i wont have facebook!
    No fizzbook, no mowby fone, no tinterweb, no tellybox and Sky HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    No fizzbook, no mowby fone, no tinterweb, no tellybox and Sky HD.

Lies!!! We cant allow it to happen....

Running off to make tin foil hats for all my technology! They will be protected by them!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

oh i have to say i agree with shelley

7. Default

I doubt if we could cope,some will cope better than others but as a society it would be disasterous,probably not life threatening though.People would have to write more letters for a while,until the satellites were repaired.

As for the Daily Mail reporting,well its the sort of over the top reporting you expect from the media,doom and gloom sells. These ferocious storms happen on a regular cycle with hugely various levels of intensity.The way this guy reports it you would think the earths number is up sometime in 2013.
    There is nothing new happening here and there is no way we can prevent a solar superstorm anyway.

The last massive solar storm which was a coronal mass ejection and made the category of solar superstorm was in 1859.
    The activity was so intense the"northern lights" were seen as far south as Cuba.

In 1994 solar storm caused major malfunctions to two communications satellites, disrupting television and radio service throughout Canada.
    In 1989, a solar storm much less intense than the storm of 1859 caused the Hydro Quebec power grid to go down for nine hours which cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

A solar superstorm will happen again but when,nobody knows.
    I'm surprised ther reporter didnt add we could well be hit by a meteor,comet or asteroid before it happens and then you would have a lot more to worry about than modern technology failing.

NASA could send a satellite out between the Earth and the sun to give early warning and Earth orbiting satellites could shut down when threatened. But it could go on for a while...

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dog-eared View Post
    NASA could send a satellite out between the Earth and the sun to give early warning and Earth orbiting satellites could shut down when threatened. But it could go on for a while...
    They already have satellites monitoring the sun.

The Daily Mail and science are mutually exclusive.