My OH kept telling me a guy from Windows Service Center keeps ringing wanting her to switch on the PC and guide her through a process because she had downloaded malware. She kept telling him she has no idea about computers and ring back another time when I was home.
I just popped home for lunch and here we go. A guy with a very strong asian accent tells me that the motherboard of my PC is in danger. He asks me to switch on the PC. First I ask him which company he is calling from and he says "Windows Service Center", then I ask him where he got my name and phone number from and he says "From your service provider".
At that point I knew he was up to no good as BT would not give Microsoft my details as it's against the Data Protection Act, but thought I trap him.

Ok, I say, which PC should I switch on ?
He says "the older one". I ask which one of the older ones, I have three. He insists it's the oldest one, the one with Windows XP on it. I tell him I can't, it's broken. He asks me to switch the other older one on, the one with XP on it. I tell him I don't have Windows XP, he says it must be Windows Vista then, I tell him I don't have Vista neither. Then he says it must be the new one, he thinks the messages they are getting are from the new PC, I tell him thats fine I go switch it on.
He asks me to click start, I say, sorry no start button. He struggles and gets himself into a muddle when I ask him where this start button is supposed to be on a Linux machine. Then he starts making excuses that he must have dialed the wrong number.
I pin him down and tell him he has my name and number from my service provider, so how can I be the wrong person ?
He struggles for an excuse and suddenly the line goes dead. 1471 tells me the caller withheld their number. How come I am not surprised about that ?

No idea what he wanted to do to my PC and what he was trying to sell me, but if somebody from a "Windows Service Center" rings you, tell them to take you off their calling list and never ring you again. They have to comply as it's against the law otherwise.

Thought I warn people as if you have no idea about PC's you can easily believe what he was saying. My OH may have done, but I deal with everything PC related....