Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: DSL Modem

Default DSL Modem

Can anybody here help me with a problem regarding X Box Live. I am trying to set up someone with X Box live for the 360. They have a broadband connection through their phone but not a computer. Apparently they need a DSL modem. But I cant seem to find out where to get one There are so many different kinds and they all seem to say ADSL rather than DSL can anyone help or point me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture
    Can anybody here help me with a problem regarding X Box Live. I am trying to set up someone with X Box live for the 360. They have a broadband connection through their phone but not a computer. Apparently they need a DSL modem. But I cant seem to find out where to get one There are so many different kinds and they all seem to say ADSL rather than DSL can anyone help or point me in the right direction.
    I don't know anything about X Box but ADSL modems are DSL modems. The DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line in both, the "A" in ADSL stands for "asymetric" which just means that the download speed is faster than the upload speed. If the download speed is the same as the upload speed it's called a SDSL, or symetric, modem. There are lots of other sorts of lines ending with DSL but as far as I know they are all classed as DSL.

Thanks for your reply Fred. Its a bit technical for me though but I think I get the jist of it. I have checked on the x box website and apparantely its a DSL cable modem that I need. Any idea where Ican get one from.

Have a look here for really good DSL deals..

Thanks for your reply Fred. Its a bit technical for me though but I think I get the jist of it. I have checked on the x box website and apparantely its a DSL cable modem that I need. Any idea where Ican get one from.
    Any modem that takes a network connection should work you can pick them up just about anywhere.

How to set it up without a computer is the problem, my router uses a web page to enter the settings and I don't suppose xbox comes with internet explorer installed.

I have a Bt Voyager 105 going spare. If it's any good to you, you can have it.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

For practical purposes (ie your xBox) ADSL is the same thing.

Best bet would be to get a adsl router and plug (or go wireless) your xbox and PCs into that then all can share the connection.

I'm sure I saw a netgear one which would be perfect going for about 50 quid in the items for sale.

Another thing to watch for is that you get the right cable.

When you connect a PC to a router the send and recieve pins in the router are switched round so you can use a straight cable. When you connect two PCs together you have to use a cable with the wires twisted so send goes to recieve and recieve goes to send.

I haven't a clue if the pins on an xbox are wired as a PC or as a router, you would have to find out but either way a cable designed to connect an xbox to a PC wouldn't work to connect it to the modem.

... apparantely its a DSL cable modem that I need.
    Be careful here: you need a DSL modem (or router), not a cable modem (or router). Cable modems and DSL modems are different beasts.

You must also make sure that you have a DSL modem (or router) with an ethernet (as opposed to USB) connection - according to this site at least:

Can I use any ADSL modem?
    No, The XBox, has been fitted with a LAN port (ethernet) which needs to be connected to either a router or a hub. USB modems cannot be used without the use of additional routing equipment. The use of ADSL routers on a single user account is not allowed within the terms of the contract for most ISPs.

There are detailed setup instructions on the Xbox Live website, but they all seem to involve using a PC at some stage, ie it appears that you can't setup the connection using an Xbox and DSL modem alone.

I would go with Niall's suggestion.

For a really good site of all things computery I use this one.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Errr, Niall..... is it OK for us to offer recommended sites to people?
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

sure is, I use www.aria.co.uk as well as overclockers.

A Big Thank You to everyone who responded to my posting. No matter what the problem the orgers always come up with the answers. Cheers everyone your help was much appreciated.