Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General/Genealogy

Default General/Genealogy

Hello all this is my first time out so please bear with me.I,m based in Glasgow but will be visiting the Lybster area on the 15th June to try and track down an old memory.

I have a photo of myself sitting outside a croft in 1945 and the name badereskie? there seems to be various spellings of this name so i,ll go with the one I,ve used.

I,ve never been back since that time and I dont think I can wait any longer as i,ll be72 this year.My name is Donald Polson as was my fathers and I,m trying to find the link between glasgow& Badereskie. Through the internet I made contact with Mrs Gunn who is going to introduce me to John Polson at Smerlie who thinks he knows the croft I described.

Well thanks for bearing with me, sore fingers not used to all this work.

Good luck, hope you find what your looking for.

I understand that our 'Fred' created Graven Images.....

Mr Polson, I'm sure you'll be well looked after in Lybster, there'll be plenty of the 'older end' who will be willing to pass the time with you when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyr1 View Post
    I understand that our 'Fred' created Graven Images.....
    Clique - nice lol

Good grief, Mr Polson was asking about his memories and yet again the thread has turned into a "Laugh" for some .........

I really hope you find who you are looking for Mr Polson and just hope that you can "avoid" those Caithness.Org people who seem to find your quest very funny !!!!

If I had lived in your area at that time, or knew of anyone who could be of help to you then I certainly would help you in any way I could !

May I take this chance to wish you all the very best in your research Mr Polson !

P/S - Once again John Little is most helpful - good for you John !
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

Yes - Fred did create graven images, and a very impressive piece of work it is too, clear and objective.

The research has been painstaking and the whole thing has been put together with an attention to detail and a standard of presentation that indicate dedication, meticulous craftsmanship, perseverance and a mind that inquires deeply.

It's a fine site which he set up, I suspect not only for his own interest and industry, but with a real altruistic impulse, as an aid to people doing family research.

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    Yes - Fred did create graven images, and a very impressive piece of work it is too, clear and objective.

The research has been painstaking and the whole thing has been put together with an attention to detail and a standard of presentation that indicate dedication, meticulous craftsmanship, perseverance and a mind that inquires deeply.

It's a fine site which he set up, I suspect not only for his own interest and industry, but with a real altruistic impulse, as an aid to people doing family research.
    Lol, bet he wishes he had read this post before he changed the grave image to this

Grave 508

In loving memory of.
    Benjamin Young of Badereskie died 2nd April 1919 aged 73.
    Wife Elizabeth Cormack died 19th August 1920 aged 75.
    Last Grave

Good luck on your quest, you don't need a reason to visit Lybster and the area, but if you have, it is a bonus.

People are all Curate's eggs, are they not?
    Last edited by John Little; 14-Jun-10 at 17:29.

*rolls her eyes at it all* I didn't see any credit being taken, just a link posted. Oh well...

Anyway, I'm sorry I am of absolutely no help to you but I wish you all the best with your research, Mr Polson.
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

Quote Originally Posted by ŠAmethyst View Post
    *rolls her eyes at it all* I didn't see any credit being taken, just a link posted. Oh well...

Anyway, I'm sorry I am of absolutely no help to you but I wish you all the best with your research, Mr Polson.
    well said amethyst i think john little was only trying to be helpful and FREDS GONE just a link [minor details]

D. Polson....

When you see John Polson please give him the regards of Sandyr from Canada. We went to school together and I was born in Osclay, quite close to where you were.
    And I am sure John will take you to the Commercial Hotel....Say hello to them.
    You will be made most welcome in Lybster, I can assure you...sandyr

Quote Originally Posted by DeHaviLand View Post
    Lol, bet he wishes he had read this post before he changed the grave image to this

Grave 508

In loving memory of.
    Last Grave
    Am trying to figure out what this comment means....

John Little posted a link to a website, Graven Images, which was built and maintained by fred. fred took umbrage and changed the image of the grave on the website to what it now reads in my post. John Little then paid tribute to freds website in a later post, but fred obviously didnt read it before taking the hump and going off on one.

Grave 508

In loving memory of.
    Last Grave
    John Little posted a link to a website, Graven Images, which was built and maintained by fred. fred took umbrage and changed the image of the grave on the website to what it now reads in my post. John Little then paid tribute to freds website in a later post, but fred obviously didnt read it before taking the hump and going off on one.
    Tks for explanation....

Smile Don Polson/Badereskie

Hello again,Don Polsonfrom the sunny depths of Glasgow.

Re Badereskie search ( alternative name Sheppardstown )

1) Thanks for all the friendly comments

2)To John Little checked the coloured photo unfortunately not the one I,m looking for the foot print is wrong as is the roof covering but this could have been changed in later years.

3) To Sandyr1 Hi if everything goes to plan message will be passed.

4)Not sure about the " Graves" message? is this "Heilan humor?

5)If I can work it out I,ll post a copy of the photo in my next message.

Sorry sore finger time again,
    Regards to all Don

Quote Originally Posted by d.polson View Post
    Hello again,Don Polsonfrom the sunny depths of Glasgow.

Re Badereskie search ( alternative name Sheppardstown )

1) Thanks for all the friendly comments

2)To John Little checked the coloured photo unfortunately not the one I,m looking for the foot print is wrong as is the roof covering but this could have been changed in later years.

3) To Sandyr1 Hi if everything goes to plan message will be passed.

4)Not sure about the " Graves" message? is this "Heilan humor?

5)If I can work it out I,ll post a copy of the photo in my next message.

Sorry sore finger time again,
    Regards to all Don
    Thanks for reply Don,
    Ignore the Graves thingy..Just some (of us) have been on here for a while and there are sma' issues. Enjoy your ' trip up North'. And John Polson will be able to answer all your questions...sandyr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast