Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wick High School - Site debate (merged threads)

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    In
    This week in the Groat by Mrs Macnab:
    This meeting, however, only secures the funding and has no reflection on where it is spent. It is a five-year capital plan and the only decision which was being made yesterday was "are these our priorities", not how the funding is spent. .
    A direct quote from Bill Fernie says otherwise or am i misreading the whole thing?

quote; The money is not available to be transferred to any other use. If we do not build a pool that part of the offer will be withdrawn.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by katarina View Post
    A direct quote from Bill Fernie says otherwise or am i misreading the whole thing?

quote; The money is not available to be transferred to any other use. If we do not build a pool that part of the offer will be withdrawn.
    Two different things here katarina. Bill Fernie is referring to the £2M given within the £18.6M towards the cost of the school. If a school is built without a pool the total funding awarded of £18.6M will be reduced by £2M.

Quote Originally Posted by fingalmacool View Post
    I think NIMBY has been mentioned already, and it seems that there are a lot of politician speak going on in the paper today which has many meanings, so I applaud the artistry so to speak, quote 1, Out of respect for him (Prof Baikie) I have to respond, in other words I feel he hasn't a clue what he's talking about, and another blow beneath the belt, "he has a relation staying in Northcote Street", in other words he has a vested interest, OUCH!!
    And lets not forget the broadside to the punters, "whats the use of holding a petition, all of you will be intimidated and confused etc etc, in other words, do i have to spell it out i think not.
    And lets not forget the kicker, if you don't make your mind up they will pull the funding, are you all scared know, I think not.
    I don't usually read the letters that are put into the local paper but was gob smacked at the size of the response so felt the need to at least skim it, but when i read that a head came over the parapet, i thought well that doesn't happen too often, so i better read on. Councilors heads should be permanently over the parapet, because if they are not they haven't a clue whats going on around them
    A big letter indeed but one that could have been kept a lot shorter. We have heard it all already and the bones of it all is that the whole agenda (as I intimated earlier) is ultimately driven by money.

Mrs Macnab keeps going on about "knowing all the facts", I would ask "What are these mysterious facts, do YOU know what they are, if so, why the hell haven't these facts been shared with the Public since the start?"

We have Mrs Macnab on the letters page scaremongering about losing the money and only being able to build the School on the SNP's terms. I reckon that, unless the SNP are the ones who have planned the new school and specified precisely what it can and can't contain, this statement is highly misleading.

I would take this opportunity to remind/make readers aware that Councillors Katrina Macnab and Bill Fernie released a joint statement, which is on the Groat website and dated 4th June. This was to express concern about the postcard campaign conducted by the PTA, canvassing opinion on the two sites for the new School:-

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...n_concern.html

You will note that the following statement is made:-

"The decision to sign or not to sign a petition based on less than the full facts could be detrimental to an early start but everyone must decide for themselves."

Somewhat surprising then, to read on the front page of the Groat TODAY that Bill Fernie stressed:-

"Money from the Scottish Government will not be released until 2012/13 and that would be the earliest the school could be built."

He then goes on to say:-

"We have plenty of time to decide what to do"

This week in the Groat by Mrs Macnab:
    This meeting, however, only secures the funding and has no reflection on where it is spent. It is a five-year capital plan and the only decision which was being made yesterday was "are these our priorities", not how the funding is spent. Every single one will come back separately with a detailed business plan, options and if necessary go through a consultation process. When that time comes the decision will not be made by local councillors alone but by a whole committee.
    I read her ludicrously long rant in the Groat. It's the sort of thing I would write to get it out of my system if I was annoyed with someone. I would then throw it in the bin where it belongs and do it properly and professionally the second time.

She has written a rant that people will probably beat her up with. I fear she will live to regret it, which is a pity because I usually respect her. Her facts are like fred's facts but fred's letter would have been much better.
    Last edited by crayola; 26-Jun-10 at 00:14.

I've been keeping up with the 'new school' story myself and came to the conclusion that there's a lot of angry people and probably cover-ups too and withholding of 'facts' whatever they may be.
    I've got loads of questions in my mind about it but after the letters in the paper today I am confused is there a meeting next Monday and what is the purpose of it?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I've been keeping up with the 'new school' story myself and came to the conclusion that there's a lot of angry people and probably cover-ups too and withholding of 'facts' whatever they may be.
    I've got loads of questions in my mind about it but after the letters in the paper today I am confused is there a meeting next Monday and what is the purpose of it?

A Highland Council offical is quoted in the Groat as saying, "the purpose of the drop-in session and public meeting on the 28th June is to raise awareness and to put the options in the public domain." Come along sweetpea and ask your questions. Hopefullly you will be given answers.

Quote Originally Posted by fingalmacool View Post
    I think NIMBY has been mentioned already, and it seems that there are a lot of politician speak going on in the paper today which has many meanings, so I applaud the artistry so to speak, quote 1, Out of respect for him (Prof Baikie) I have to respond, in other words I feel he hasn't a clue what he's talking about, and another blow beneath the belt, "he has a relation staying in Northcote Street", in other words he has a vested interest, OUCH!!
    And lets not forget the broadside to the punters, "whats the use of holding a petition, all of you will be intimidated and confused etc etc, in other words, do i have to spell it out i think not.
    And lets not forget the kicker, if you don't make your mind up they will pull the funding, are you all scared know, I think not.
    I don't usually read the letters that are put into the local paper but was gob smacked at the size of the response so felt the need to at least skim it, but when i read that a head came over the parapet, i thought well that doesn't happen too often, so i better read on. Councilors heads should be permanently over the parapet, because if they are not they haven't a clue whats going on around them
    Good analysis. Keeping in touch, and not ruling, ones plebians is a necessary evil to remain in office. I think our councillor's letter made me think more of Wordsworth's famous poyum " I wandered lonely as a cloud (drifting over a wide empty space called the Bignold)". I congratulate Mr Fernie on his honesty which I guess is what happens when you're backed into a corner.

The whole issue with the parent council is one of timing and then we are quite glibbly told that 2013 is insight and reading the fine print,our new school will be delivered in 2018. Take all the frills we're being promised off the plan (how much does it cost to run a 6 lane swimming pool ( add to this the cost of filling in the newest swimming pool in Caithness)? Oh I forgot financial info is Top Secret) we can proceed with a new school in 2011 and have it delivered in 2014.

Mr Baikie do not lose heart I have a simple equation for you to solve:

Bureaucrat does not equal Autocrat
    Chief Executive equals empire builder does not equal councillor

Normalise this equation and we'll all get by far more pleasantly.

Default high school

How about building the School between Roberts Street and North Road along the back of the old Bignold Hospital ..I do hope Wickers puts an end to the Councillors that are mouthing off ,ain't these the same ones that pushed through the ill fated CHaP and poured £19 Million down the drain.....

Well done to the Risbridgers for sticking their 'heads above the parapet', without ranting, when they really don't have to. See they've already had some stick on here for saying what everyone else is thinking. We can all be brave sitting in front of a pc.

I admire any normal citizen prepared to put themselves out there, whether I agree with them or not. Agree with everything Scorrie said and a few others. Public servants, that's the operative word.

Can't wait for the Courier: light fuse and stand well back . Now it's really going to get interesting.
    Away and haunt a hoose

Thumbs down

Yes very brave being your bosses mouth piece.

Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    How about building the School between Roberts Street and North Road along the back of the old Bignold Hospital ..I do hope Wickers puts an end to the Councillors that are mouthing off ,ain't these the same ones that pushed through the ill fated CHaP and poured £19 Million down the drain.....
    the council do not own the land. They'd have to buy it. this is why I keep asking about Thistle Park which I thought they owned.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by fender View Post
    Here we go again, another personal attack, this time from behind a keyboard. Fender you seem passionately against anyone who speaks out against the council. Do you work for them by any chance?
    Last edited by Venture; 26-Jun-10 at 18:02.

Let me tell you a story - Once upon a time there was a very broken down school. Said school was being left to fall around the ears of those inside trying to learn. Lots of council type locals and people with letters stuck on names promising help. Lots of shouting of empty purses, false promises and nothing happening. Along comes determined Parent Council takes bull by the horns. Much pestering, petitioning, arguing and banging on doors to follow. Result - £18.4M. Great news, much joy in Wick. Future looks bright. New school plans, site sorted, possible things sporty, splashing of water and reading of books Halt! Dampners ahead. Barriers up, doors closed, official huddles in corners. Changes afoot. Cuts, cuts and more broken down buidlings. Scraping of pots. Scratching of heads. Lots of fibs, twisting of words and stabbing of backs............ No more worries, problem solved. Solution -FOUR birds, one stone. Dispose of broken down, splashy place, book corner and singing and dancing place add to school and place on very large green space. Lots of pats on backs for good idea from councillors. Jackpot. And we all live happily ever after...............not.

The end to the story CAN be determined by the public. We all want this school ASAP. The majority of the Parent Council, the pupils, staff and parents don't think the Park is the best place for any type of school. Whether you do or don't want a school on the Bignold Park for goodness sake do something about it. Be heard, ask questions no matter who you are or where you or your relatives live, you are entitled to your opinion in this process. Contrary to what our councillors are telling us there are other options out there. Don't let any threats about funding being lost give the impression that if its not built there we wont get it at all. Demand the facts. Far too many have been hidden from the public. Local councillors need to start being honest and stop making personal jibes at those who have been doing all the work for them, mainly those who fought for the money in the first place. This is money that HRC officials and councillors think they can now play around with to suit their needs rather than those for whom it was intended.....the future children of Wick High School. The Parent Council have nothing to hide, we tell the truth and nothing but the truth and none of us are frightened to stand up and say what we think especially to those who are under the impression, because they work for HRC, that their actions shouldn't be questioned. They might think that they have the upper hand in all of this, obvious by the delays that are now creeping in, but rest assured if things don't start moving shortly, we will take it further. Local authorities are answerable to the Scottish Government, the same Government whose leader publicly commended the Parent Council campaign and awarded the money in the first place. The ultimate goal for us is the Best School possible on the best site available and believe you me we will fight till we get it.
    Last edited by Venture; 26-Jun-10 at 13:53.

Go Venture! That's the stuff we like to hear!
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Venture, words fail me....... because I cannot think of enough adequate, complimentary adjectives to describe and praise your post.

Thank God for you and yours
    Away and haunt a hoose

Yet more in-depth analysis from our Spanish correspondent, Juan Liner

I think the work of the parent council has been tireless. Encouraging people to speak out is great, I see the people of Wick speaking on this issue moreso than they have been. When you get to the stage that you have to read between the lines coming from your councillors there is some merit in adopting a similar slant. I would encourage the parent council to boycott Monday's brainwashing session. I certainly am not interested in being fed filtered information. Let's all get 2013 and a once in a lifetime opportunity melded ......

Thumbs down

Let me tell you a story - Once upon a time there was a very broken down school. Said school was being left to fall around the ears of those inside trying to learn. Lots of council type locals and people with letters stuck on names promising help. Lots of shouting of empty purses, false promises and nothing happening. Along comes determined Parent Council takes bull by the horns. Much pestering, petitioning, arguing and banging on doors to follow. Result - £18.4M. Great news, much joy in Wick. Future looks bright. New school plans, site sorted, possible things sporty, splashing of water and reading of books Halt! Dampners ahead. Barriers up, doors closed, official huddles in corners. Changes afoot. Cuts, cuts and more broken down buidlings. Scraping of pots. Scratching of heads. Lots of fibs, twisting of words and stabbing of backs............ No more worries, problem solved. Solution -FOUR birds, one stone. Dispose of broken down, splashy place, book corner and singing and dancing place add to school and place on very large green space. Lots of pats on backs for good idea from councillors. Jackpot. And we all live happily ever after...............not.

The end to the story CAN be determined by the public. We all want this school ASAP. The majority of the Parent Council, the pupils, staff and parents don't think the Park is the best place for any type of school. Whether you do or don't want a school on the Bignold Park for goodness sake do something about it. Be heard, ask questions no matter who you are or where you or your relatives live, you are entitled to your opinion in this process. Contrary to what our councillors are telling us there are other options out there. Don't let any threats about funding being lost give the impression that if its not built there we wont get it at all. Demand the facts. Far too many have been hidden from the public. Local councillors need to start being honest and stop making personal jibes at those who have been doing all the work for them, mainly those who fought for the money in the first place. This is money that HRC officials and councillors think they can now play around with to suit their needs rather than those for whom it was intended.....the future children of Wick High School. The Parent Council have nothing to hide, we tell the truth and nothing but the truth and none of us are frightened to stand up and say what we think especially to those who are under the impression, because they work for HRC, that their actions shouldn't be questioned. They might think that they have the upper hand in all of this, obvious by the delays that are now creeping in, but rest assured if things don't start moving shortly, we will take it further. Local authorities are answerable to the Scottish Government, the same Government whose leader publicly commended the Parent Council campaign and awarded the money in the first place. The ultimate goal for us is the Best School possible on the best site available and believe you me we will fight till we get it.
    Ola

Spoken as a member of the Parent Council. The truth as you had been told to believe

Ola

Spoken as a member of the Parent Council. The truth as you had been told to believe
    Why fender you must be about the only person on the org who DIDN'T know I was on the Parent Council. Yes, you're right and pretty obvious I'd say by my posts. Now what untruths are you speaking about? Do you want the HRC ones or the Councillors' ones first.

Thanks for the wave by the way and "Olé" to you too.
    Last edited by Venture; 27-Jun-10 at 11:17.

Well said Venture.
    The phrase 'one trick pony' springs to mind with regards to these posts from the aptly renamed 'Juan'
    Away and haunt a hoose

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast